Magic Diary: Maria

• _It's been a long search here in Narfell, but I haven't found her anywhere.I was keeping it secret, because I don't know who could be part of them, I didn't share with anyone, because word could spread and she could leave. And that's why I didn't even write about it before, I fear that if she's here and somehow they know I'm looking for her, they'll get away with her, again.
    Silea, my dear friend, my sister.

From Candlekeep to Narfell, that's a long trip, and not less dangerous than long. But you are here, somewhere, and I will find you, no matter what it takes.
    I've been keeping it for myself for too long, and perhaps it's now to alleviate some, so I will share our story with this diary, magicaly sealed and which won't leave my side

Candlekeep, the best and the worst moments of my entire life took place in that place. I was a good student, I liked to read and to improve, and soon the teachers started to see the potential in me and all they had for me was good words. Perhaps this annoyed other kids, or perhaps it was just their mean nature to mock me because of my lisp. Of course, the teachers wouldn't allow for such things while in the classes, but once the classes were over and we were on the streets, I was an easy target of mud-balls, insults, mocks and all kind of childish pranks. These happened usualy in the middle of my daily walk from school to the so famous candlekeep library.

It was beacuse of that I met Silea. It was just like any other day that I was on my way to the library, I went past the corner of the barracks and there were they, the stupid kids. They cornered me in the alley and started throwing mud-balls at me. There was little I could do but take the hits and try not to cry. I honestly didn't feel I was able to defend myself, perhaps I wasn't.
    So there was I, looking down, and covering my face with my hands, being a mud-ball target. And she talked. I remember what happened there as if it happened last night.

"You know, boys, you are gonna lick her clean"

She was standing gracefuly with the hands on her hips, with a small smile on her lips but her eyes were talking seriously. The boys laughed at her, and one was fool enough to throw a mud-ball to her. Silea dodged it easily, and quickly reached for the boys hair, pulling his head down and hitting his face with her knee. Horrified, the other two boys ran away, and the one on the ground, his nose was bleeding, started crying like a baby.

"Awww..now you can't lick her clean, your blood would make her robes a mess. Get gone and don't ever bother her again"

A slap his head, and I never saw that boy again. Never.
    She snapped her fingers and two other boys came with two buckets of water. It was Tontu and Jerf. They threw the water at me, helping me clean up after wards.

That's how I met her, and how I joined her crew._

• It's been a long time, my dear diary. I'm not the best when it comes to keep up with a diary, but you know I always get back to it.
    Everything went "fine" with the demon threat. The land is now tainted, as expected, but the situation has vastly improved. Many people were lost that day, but I know everyone tried their best.
    The reason I haven't written in all this time is that I took some vacations from everything. From Narfell, from my friends, from the Spellweavers, everything.
    Why did I come back already? I guess partially one can blame Vick. I was missing him too much, a little bit too much.
    My vacations have been most enjoyable, I've been traveling to several places, meeting new people and undoubtfully having some small totally unplanned adventures.
    I enjoy the fact that people didn't know who I was. It made things simpler and way way more calm, except for the assassination attempts. I never speak about these, they are not worth the effort. As its to be expected, my wealth and deeds have granted me a lot of enemies.
    Anyway, I was in CandleKeep, to see my old friends and pay my respects to my mother's grave. Then I travelled to Athkatla, were I got in trouble a few times with the guild of thieves, or maybe the other way around... Nelanther Isles was the next stop, I should probably not got there again... they are not exactly the most civil of people... I don't think they want me back either anyway.
    The last part of my trip was to High Forest. It's an incredible place, there's a lot to be learned there and I met some very interesting people.
    Elves are undoubtfully gifted with magic, it was a very enriching experience.
    I learned things there, that changed my way of seeing certain things. It'll be interesting to be back in Narfell after all this...

• ''This was a battle without precedence. We fought up to 5 Balors. And it was 5 those of us who fell in battle. It was a victory, since we destroyed the Phylactery, but it had a bittersweet taste because some people died.
    For once, though, there's no one to be blamed for this. We all tried our best, and despite the numbers we were able to coordinate properly against the enemy's forces. That's why we succeeded.
    When I got dispelled by the General and so it looking at me I feared the worst, as without spells protecting me I'm no match for a Balor, let alone this one in particular. What was there for me to do, though? Everyone was fighting and running away would've been not just useless, but also pointless. There was only one thing to be done, and so I started casting my spells on it while it moved towards me. I was ready to die, but not without dealing as much damage to the creature as possible. That was the only way for us to win the battle.

I really thought it'd get to me and rip me apart. I was merely giving my all before that happened. But then Leena and a few others went between the Balor general and I, blocking the path between him and I. Leena died, and so did others. And I'm very sorry it went that way, I truly am. But I want to at least let it be known in this diary, that it was because of their deaths that we won. The time they bought was enough for me to be able to unleash all of my magic. The demon went from practically unscathed to almost dead. The amount of raw magic power it withstood is impressive, even for a Balor.

After that point, the fight was pretty much won already, and it took only a couple of sword cuts to finish it. The phylactery destroyed, and hopefully Mad managed to close that portal beneath, by the end of the caves. This shit is almost over. I can't wait for it.

M.''

• This entry makes less sense than others. The steucture is hectic and there's an evident touch of rambling

Vick has been trying to surprise me with small things and details. He's being quite sweet about it. But for some reason he seems to be trying to annoy the fuck out of every other living person in the world. He's a bit weird, admittedly, but who am I to speak about weird..

What do I even like about him? He's not specially handsome, or strong, or a genious. He is smart, too much for his own good at times , too. He's just … normal. Maybe that's what makes me feel good? Maybe is that what I see in him?

How would it be to live a normal life? Having a house, not adventuring anymore, settling and having a family... maybe I should start planning something like that. Maybe not just yet...
    My mother wanted me to get back to Candlekeep, before she passed away she said Candlekeep was my place, that it was part of my essence...
    But I can't go back and leave everything and everyone behind...
    Perhaps there's another way to do this, perhaps I can try to have both things.

• _Vampires where never something I was specially worried about. I still am not. But they attacked someone I care about, and what's worse, they belittled me! What a nerve, to call me a pet mage when they are not even brave enough to make their appearances when I'm around.
    They sure like to bark, but I have yet to see them try to bite me.

I wasn't particulary interested in them, until now. They should've stayed low and things would've gone infinitely better for them. Now this might as well be one of my whims coming back to me, but I'm going to make sure they pay for this. The will regret the day they had not enough brains to keep their mouth shut. They will._

María then heads to the Spellweavers and into the library, sits and begins to scribble something.

• The next lines are written in a hastier handwritting than most of the entries.

_That makes number 2, and was very unexpected. I was going towards the cold mountains to see how the current situation was there after we defeated the Lich. As usual, I stopped by at Ormpur to take a refreshing rest for my spells.
    I always pick the same spot, the small groove with the chasm. It's quiet and silent, and feels comfortable enough.
    This time it was not, however.

As I stepped in I felt, heard and even smelled the unequivocal presence of a Balor. I tried to turn back on my heels and get out of there, but my senses detected a magical barrier preventing anyone from getting out of the place. So I took cover behind the small ruin to prevent the Balor from casting at me.
    It was a difficult fight. But fortunately I'm able to write this now.

This makes number 2. Two balors I've singlehandedly defeated.
    Unfortunately, I fear I'll have to confront more._

• _I might have been able to mitigate the damage, perhaps. In retrospective everything seems easier than it is while you're actually there at that moment.
    A counterspell on the time stop could have saved lives. I didn't play my cards as good as I should, for that I am to be blamed.

All in all, Rhigor is done for, at least for a while. It was possible to trace back its location, all the way to the old dwarven temple, below it actually, in jiyyd. The place is going to be packed with demons, and the general, which is not going to be just another Balor.

I almost fell, too, I wasn't careful enough. Or maybe the spell choices i made were not the best… or simply the enemy was vastly superior. In any case, there's no use in banging our heads against that wall. I'll perform better the next time, I've learned some things, there's always room for improvement. Always.

I can't wait for all this big shit to end. I want some peace for a while, I want to focus on other things, rest my mind for a while.... Just a bit more, just a bit more of pushing.. .and we'll get there.

We will succeed._

• _I've changed, I've been noticing this but never got the chance to write about it. I'm not talking anymore about the fact that I don't burn to crisps people at whims for being insulting towards me or my lisp. Vick and Nate both have to be thanked for this.
    It still makes me giggle when I remember Nate's opinion on my lisp.

But no, that's not the only change there's been in me. I'm more calm and observing, I don't try to be on the top of everything, I do not see any need or take any joy in introducing me as Headmistress, Archmage or whatever other thing I've been called in the past. Being María is just fine.

I still love the thrill of a good adventure, and I'm always at the ready to help and combat the greater evil that strikes our lands. But I prefer for others to try for themselves before I chime in. Sometimes I don't even need to chime in. And that's great, because it means a strong set of adventurers is rising, or already has perhaps.

With this Demon incident is different. It's dangerous, not for just the adventurers, but for the region, for me and my family. I cannot stay back and see if things work, I need to be front and take the lead. Hopefully I won't need to be in the spotlight anymore after this. I don't want to be the spotlight._

• _Another of the generals has fell. It was hiding in the Lava Pits. Immoliths are generally a bad thing, but this one was actually a very bad thing.

The path to the Lava pits was surprisingly quiet. There were no ogres to be encountered along the way, and whilst I have my own idea as to why did this happen, I didn't confirm it and I've chosen to disregard all of it in lieu of greater good.

We marched through the giantspires, facing some demons and cultists but without a very strong resistance, until we met the first immolith. It almost killed a few of the group. I didn't help, admittedly, but I don't regret my choice. It was needed.

We advanced too through the lava pits, fighting the Firey elementals and salamanders, cultits and two other immoliths in due time. I didn't help this time either, and two people almost almost died at this point. I'm surprised I showed enough restraint to not act, but Shannon was there and I trusted him to keep the party alive. He did.

In the end, we found the spot where the general Kharsus was and it was not intimidated at all by our presence.
    It was all part of my plan, though I had decided no to share it with any body. Kharsus probably saw us fight through everything, but he really never got to see the extent of our power, of my power. Soon as he was in sight, I freezed time, removed his protections and proceeded to unload my whole power on him. I focused so much cold energy in my hands even my robes froze and my fingers numbed. He tried to call forth a black blade of disaster, but it never happened. He was extinguished before he could.

I think I did good in saving my spellpower to the end. I don't need the glory, nor do I think I deserve it. It was because others fought for me until then, that I made it that far without using any spell. It was a team effort. And with this team effort we'll deffinitely push back the demons that try to get into Narfell.

We will not fail._

• María opens her Diary after a couple of days resting at her Keep.
    She flips a few pages, running her fingers nostalgically as she passes through some old stories…. she finally reaches a blank page, and begins to write.

_At first it didn't look promising. So many people, some of which I don't consider to be properly trained to deal with this kind of threat. But what could I do? I couldn't just walk away nor did I want to. Shannon showed up last, and I must admit that gave me a fresh breath of confidence.

We marched, Leena taking the leadership and the scouts the lead of the group. It was kind of better than I anticipated, that people didn't rush to things and always waited for scouts to come back or take positions, and for orders to be issued.

We went all the way to the old elven camp. It shouldn't have been a tough battle, and we were all hoping to save our spells for much later. But tactics didn't come on their finest here, and leaving some the bugbear's casters free of movement and unthreatened cause several injuries to our group. Some powerful spells had to be cast to avoid a catastrophe from happening right at the beginning. We succeded and kept going, but with a sour taste on my mouth since things didn't go too well on a first encounter.

We continued, and we encountered mainly bugbears, nothing really too hard… until the shrouds showed up. They are heavily protected by magic and can ruin your day in large numbers. Fortunately we had casted some weapon enhancing spells and people was able to go through them without big trouble.

I believe I didn't thank Shannon properly for what happened next. As we approached a fortress, we spotted a flying demon, a succubus I'd imagine. From what she said before getting imploded by Shannon, she was there to make me a new dress made out of holes in my body. She was wildly shooting arrows at me, and they'd pierce all my resistances. I was calm, as I was carrying over a dozen of heal potions, but I didn't know how to deal with an opponent that I could not reach with any of the spells I had prepared for the party. So I was relying on others to be able to get her. Luckily as I said, Shannon did.

We continued, against more shrouds and more unpleasant beings, such as a glabrezou. Annoying creatures like no other... fortunately as I said. We had a strong group with us and we did work as a team properly ever after the first mentioned encounter. Such was the teamwork we displayed that no one died by the bridge. I could've saved them in the last moment. I never used my second shapechange spell. Could've turned into a dragon and put them back on their feet at the other side... but I didn't think I had to, and I was trying to conserve all the spells I could for when it mattered. Things worked out, and all thanks to teamwork. Beliea's and Wick's entangle spells, Leeena's quick reaction to shapeshift into air, Shannon's and Cormac's rushing into the casters fireballing the bridge...

What was I doing meanwhile? Just walk quietly on the bridge managing not to slip off and assessing the situation to see if I needed to act or not.

After much walking, lot of fighting, and being almost completely spent spell-wise we reached the cave where Ruin was hiding. Protections had worn out time ago, and except for Shannon and I, I believe everyone was too short on spells.
    I had a few tricks under my sleeve, but it wasn't needed. Shannon performed greatly and I'd say he was the main reason we succeeded on this mission, along with the great scout's job, of course.

All this makes me happy, not simply cause we defeated Ruin. But because it feels like when you travel with reliable people, things can be enjoyed more. I've known some of these people for years and years, it's nice to be able to adventure with them and knowing they can protect themselves.

Now, for the next step.....

But first I'll have to talk to Hannibal, we need changes in Norwick, and we need them quick before it's too late._

• _Done. It's been dealt with, at least for now. I took my revenge on it for doing that to Aoth. No one touches the people I love. Not even a Demon.

I hope this tiny victory serves to give people some morale. These creatures can be defeated. I think I should try to give classes at the spellweaver about demon fighting. It might be helpful.

And the council. Need to get it started._

• _Dear Diary, you know I rarely write here anymore, but when I do is because there's something troubling me. A balor was spotted in Jiyyd, again. It's not rare to see Demons in Jiyyd, we know that. I'm not even surprised there's a balor there. I've seen oberyths, balors and even pit fiends fighting against balors. They never tried to get out of Jiyyd, because they know they can't. However, it's not unknown to us that the planes are now almost overlapping completely, and that soon it -will- be possible for them to just walk out.

That worries me.

But is not the reason I write. This Balor killed some people. I would call their actions noble but stupid. They went to fight the Balor head on. The Balor took Aoth's life. I have developped special and strong feelings for Aoth. I should've wrote about that I suppose.
    Is just the way she acts, the way she sees things. It's different from me, and that is so enlightening in many forms and colours.
    I'm upset that she fell. I'm upset and I do not know If I'll end up seeking revenge on the Balor.
    I might as well… even if it's only gone for a hundred years, that's still a hundred years.

This is all a mess. Need to gather the people for the council. Need to move the spellweaver. Demons, Atel's problem with the Quarut, Hannibal.

So many things. Such a big mess._

• María reaches for her diary that has been unused for a long time yet again

_There's many things going on at the time. First the spellweaver keep. We're trying to get it back, and it's not gonna be an easy feat. Second, there's this whole demon's from Orcusgate issue… and I've heard with my own ears, from them, that they have a plan to kill me. Such a compliment.
    And there's also Atel's issue, we really need to fix her as soon as possible, or it's going to be -very- bad news soon.

About the first, a trip to Sigil is due to happen. I'm on the one hand excited about it, of course. But on the other hand I'm worried someone will fuck up and get everyone else killed. Many things can go wrong there, many things.

About the second, I'm not too worried about my own safety. I've been through tough shit before and I know how to take care of myself. However, I'm worried that things are scalating rapidly and that there's a lot of things we need to do to fix this issue, and time is of essence as always.

About the last, we can only hope that we'll be able to use the sands without making things worse. The weave is very... sensitive to time trampling...

María._

• _He made me do it. It's true I've never liked him, not since that time he left us hanging. But I wouldn't have subdued him if he didn't touch the wrong strings. For the gods sake, who does he think he is to take justice on his own behalf like that? Trying to murder someone because he thinks he has the right to do so. (Oh gosh, am I becoming somewhat lawful? hah!)
    He's mind was completly out of the real world. When he said those words I knew his mind was gone. "Do not threaten ME, Wizard", making such an emphasis in the ME, as if he was some kind of special being that was above everyone else. And he thought I was threatening him, the fool Raryldor. I do not threaten, I warn.
    I still wouldn't have subdued him, but he insisting in engaging in hostile terms, and so I was forced to act.
    It was just as I expected. Much barking, no biting.
    9 seconds is all I needed.

I explained to Abigail that I didn't save her out of sympathy. I just wanted to be fair and not let Raryldor do an irresponsible act. She's got something in mind, I'm sure, but i'm more worried about what's going on with Orcus and the inner fights within his ranks. Abigail might prove a useful tool still. Oh god, I said tool…

Good night_

• _It's been a while, dear Diary. You which hold so many secrets and important moments of my life and those I call loved ones. Many things have happened since I last dared to fill these pages with my handwriting, most of them with a happy ending, but some not, specially one thing that I'll remember forever. Shallyah's death. It still pains me that I wasn't there to aid her in her final battle when she needed me the most.
    I couldn't even tell her a proper goodbye.
    But now, now I can somehow make up for it. The Gargossans are here in the land, and they are up to no good, surely. I've heard that a group saw Shallyah in the temple in Mintas, where she fell. I need to go there and talk to her myself. I need at least to say goodbye.. and sorry.

I'll do that tomorrow, now I feel my body needs some rest. So does my mind._

• The next line on the dairy is written with a not-so-good letter, in fact if it wasn't because the diary can only be written by María, one would doubt it was her doing.

It's exhausting, but I'm almost ther*

The last word is not finished, and a stain of ink follow the last "R", as if the the quill would've stayed there for long.

She fell asleep.

• _It was late, and I didn't feel like walking all the way back to Peltarch from Norwick, so I decided to stick by the fire, see if anyone joined for a chat. Ashena, Allestor and Robyn where there, so I joined them quietly. The knights didn't take long to leave, and so Robyn and I remained.

I don't know how it happened. Nor if it would happen again… but I was itching for something to distract me with, and she was itching to speak...and we ended up in the Grapevine's inn, next to the fire.

She told me a story, her life's quest, I dare say. It was very intriguing and very interesting.. and since it's her life's quest, is yet to be concluded.
    I can't tell for sure, but I have this thought that she will be facing some one unexpected, things will be rough for her, and so I tried to give her a good advice.

She isn't as rowdy as I thought. She was fairly pleasant actualy. I hope she does well... and should she die in her next duel... well... I'll see to her story to be sung by bards._

• _We defeated Loke. He was a powerful enemy, but he found himself outmatched because of numbers… perhaps. Able to stop the time and able to cast a contengency powerful enough to heal himself full and port everyone to a designated spot.
    I tried to catch up on his movements while he was casting the time stop, to follow up what he was saying, and it felt so close, I could nearly follow up.. but it slipped.
    I would've kept trying forever and ever, but there was this situation, and I couldn't just waste my time like that. (Hah, did you see diary? What a pun with time there...damn paladins and their punnery...)
    As everytime I face a dangerous and potentially mass destructive opponent, my brain goes far ahead of me, I can still reproduce in my mind all of the things my brain thought while I was just starting to wave hands to conjure the first spell:

Loke, powerful lich, spellpower. -> taken down before pulls out spells -> Mass haste everyone.
    He is protected -> Greater Dispel, if fail, Greater Spell Breach.
    Sirion spell absorbed -> Cast Greater Spell Breach regardless of Greater Dispel working or not.
    People can't hurt it -> Fire, Electric, Fire, Electric, alternate for good meassure.
    If resist to elements -> Sunburst and magic missile
    Possibility of contingency-> Don't use all spells, save one card under sleeve.
    Could go invisible-> See invisibility ready. On self if needed, on Shallyah if better.

I had him. By the time I casted Sunburst I had him. Nearly dead, but the contingency activated and we appeared in that other place and full healed. It could've been discouraging, for I had wasted most of the spells, but it was all part of the things I had planned for. He was low on spells too, for what I could see, we had been wasting him slowly, but we were not over with yet. Counter spell a few spells, haste specific individuals.
    I only had one last card to play, and I did it. Tenser's.
    When I engaged him on melee, Molyivel glowed strongly, and I could then feel how the sword sliced through Loke's body, it was almost dead. People were now all together trying to stabb their swords on Loke, but he was actualy hard to hurt. Eventualy, Tymora smiled on me when I closed my eyes and swung the sword fiercely towards him, cutting through him, the final blow.

Only after the battle I could feel the enormous ammount of pain and how exhausted I was. I went through all of my spellpower in a very short period of time, certainly draining, certinaly worth it.

When Loke was defeated, his spell ceased to have effect, and we appeared again in Peltarch. Such a desolated place. So much death and destruction around to be seen. Saddens me to the deep of my heart.

And then.. the Celestial. He again showed up, he again was so familiar to me and at the same time I couldn't tell who he was...
    "Could you give me a hint?"
    "Any."

Thank you, Wog. What you did will never be forgotten._

• _I've been overly busy to write anything in here. Many things have happened and now i find myself deep in a lot of unsolved issues.. and also running for the senate. Why? Yes well.. politics have never interested me a shit. And honestly, they still don't.
    However, there's something more important to me than what Im interested in, and that's the wellbeing of those I live here with. Not only my friends, but also the people, the citizens. I've suffered a lot in the past years, important losses and fears… and i've grown to learn how tough and undesirable things can be for others.
    I want to help, and this may be the best way for me to do so.

I need rest now. Good night._

• _My unexpected trip to the fire plane happened to take longer than I'd have liked. 1 year and 3 months is too much of a time. Well… that's what I told everyone, when in fact it happens I accidentaly got myself stuck in there and couldn't find the way out. It was a rough time.
    Now I'm back, and apparentely many things have happened. Like.. the puppeter was taken care of, we're close to be in war with lizard folk, and a lot of other things that I had no time to listen to propertly! I wanted to spend a couple days relaxing and enjoying my friends company insntead of getting my mind swarmed with bad things so fast.

Tomorrow I'll get to that._