Happy Birthday Narfell

• Although we don't know the exact date that the Narfell module went live…
    we do have the earliest mentions of Narfell documented.

So sometime in late June or early July of 2002…
    the battery was stuck in the Energizer Narf and it hasn't stopped yet!

GO GO Narfell!

• Ozzy here I am good friends with a friend of mas and from him I hear mas is doing well at least.I live in florida also and if I can I'll pass message along and see if we can get a visit maybe.

• Holeh shit it's Crucible!

• @45d9806722=Kerby:

Seems I've missed the big birthday. A decade of Narfell. Anyone ever hear from Masume, Crucible or RadSam these days?

I check in here every once in a while and lurk for a bit. Still amazed this small project we started so many years ago is still going.

• 11/21/2002.

That is the day I first logged into Narfell.

I rolled up an elven enchantress by the name of Celenia Hent. I was a bit hesitant to try Narfell, because I felt that the "Hardcore Rules" doctrine would make the game too tough to be enjoyable. CRPGs have many more combat encounters than tabletop RP. More fights, more chance to die, and no free raise.

What I learned quickly, was that players cared about their characters, and the roleplaying was glorious. Celenia met a bard named Reginald and his friends. They showed her around town and then around the lake with goblins lurking about. Back then, goblins were scary, especially Elite Goblins. Celenia unfortunately died (goblins managed to get the party separated from each other).

Her death didn't bother me. I had fun. I found exactly what I was wanting when I picked up NWN. I found a place I could do some real serious and fun roleplaying online. I was hooked.

So I started to create a Wild Elf fighter. Mostly was thinking about survival with that. I trashed her without playing, as she felt like an empty shell.

I put some thought and effort in coming up with a cleric, Kara Willendt. I envisioned her as a mostly regular person. No tragic background. Somebody not a fighter at heart, but would defend what she believed in. Parents came to mind, a paladin father and a bardic mother. Her stats reflected that, average STR and DEX, moderately high CON, average INT, high WIS, moderately high CHA. I wanted a "traditional" cleric. She wielded a morningstar and a sling even. She came from Waterdeep, from a farming village outside the city. She traveled to Narfell to find a place to help people, trying to follow her father's footsteps.

That was about as much as I fleshed out when I started playing her. As people asked her questions about herself, new pieces would fit into a puzzle as answers came to mind. It was fun, learning about her along with the other players. It was some of the most fun roleplaying I've ever had.

So… cheers to Narfell for being around all these years. I hope to see more.

(PS - Wait, you started around the same time I did, Emer?)

• @8c153ada9b=Clan:

pretty amazing.

are there any other games out there that have this kind of longevity? Can you imagine telling yourself 10 years ago that you'd still be launching the NWN app in 2013?

I think the original Starcraft is still big in Korea and some circles of the western world, that's a 1998 release, but yeah, can't think of many games that survive the passing of time with as much dignity as NWN.

Last November I hit the 10 year mark since I first logged in Narfell, when it wasn't more than Norwick and a few maps south of it. No Gypsy Camp, no Peltarch, no Jiyyd, and just a few of us crazy people trying to tackle on a goblin elite next to old Norwick's south gates that used to crit for 60-80 damage and crowd the friar's door with dead bodies. Good old Friar Fred, Frago wandering about offering his goods, Misty always ready to serve a drink… hell, that place was so harsh yet so magical and special. The nostalgia...

• Same as above, on both counts!

I don't really see these kind of tools being produced for games in the future. It would be a nice surprise though.

I think because of that though NWN will keep on lasting a long time and may even see a resurgence down the road when people start finding out this is the only game out there that can deliver this type of gaming/world building experience. The biggest problem right now, I think, may be circumventing the gamespy issues to be able to give new players a variety of PWs to choose from when they hit multiplayer. An issue that I actually started a thread for on the Bioware forums and interestingly enough has kind of taken off. Nice to see the community as a whole is still so active and willing to work to continue making NWN a great game.

• Legion

I know folks say that NWN will eventually die, but the ability to create a world sandbox style simply doesn't exist in any other game that I know of. I've tried to quit a couple of times now, but I keep coming back.

• I sure as hell didn't expect it. But man… it's been nearly 10 years for me too (in august)...

How can time go so fast?... sure doesn't look like all that time has passed...

• pretty amazing.

are there any other games out there that have this kind of longevity? Can you imagine telling yourself 10 years ago that you'd still be launching the NWN app in 2013?

• Seems I've missed the big birthday. A decade of Narfell. Anyone ever hear from Masume, Crucible or RadSam these days?

• As long as there are people willing to spend their time writing a fantastic story together, Narfell will never die. I joined the forums shortly after I started playing. In the past I have burnt out several times. And every time I came back in the end. This server and its players, DMs, devs… will always hold a special place with me. Happy birthday Narfell, and all those that make this their second home.

• I just noticed that I created Aurelia on July 11 2005. so she is approaching her 3rd birthday!

• I dont remember when i started playing… it makes so much time since then xD....

Anyways....it's awesome that Narfell keeps going after so much time. One can with all savety say , taht narfell rocks.

• The Halfling Defence League

@40f445a2d8=SummonerX:

…and yes, I miss the old days when the server had lots and lots of people in it. I'm not sure what happened either, but I really hope it improves in player count so more memories can be created.

Hmm… could you not sell those memories to the fey?

Besides

I Will be more then just a memory! :elol:

• You were there before me, Summoner. And that was August 2004.

From what I’ve seen…

People just don't know what Role-play is anymore... And RPGs are getting less popular... those that play D&D in any of its forms are getting rare or no longer have the time...

That’s what I've seen in the aria of the "real" world where I live.

It's a travesty!!!

• I joined the forums march 31, 2005. I think I played a little before that, since I know it took me a while to figure out the forums…

...and yes, I miss the old days when the server had lots and lots of people in it. I'm not sure what happened either, but I really hope it improves in player count so more memories can be created.

• I wish Narfell had more players. I'm intoxicated and nostalgic and I really do miss the old days when there was a PC every five feet. I don't know what happened – too many towns, not palettable to new players, the game is getting old, -- whatever it is, I miss that oft-remembered golden age.

I wish I had heard of Narfell sooner…

I joined at the end of February 2008...

You took me into your fold, and treated me like one of your own.
    How blessed I am to have met you, Narfell. I never want to leave you...

And to all the players of Narfell and non-players who make things happen!

WOOT!! You people rule!!