Open Letter | To Team and All

• This one concern in particular has bugged me for a while. There's other points I'd rather keep to myself for now at least.

Concern: Leveling is too easy and that:

• Diminishes the motivation that comes from progressing in the game.
    • Highly affects the RP that comes from slower(ish) advancing, rather than going from farmer Bob to OP hero smasher of worlds in 2 months without any character development.

Solution: Remove TR, fix the XP curve.

• 100% XP to level 12.
    • 75% combat XP from 12 to 15.
    • 50% combat XP from level 15 to 18.
    • 15% combat XP and 50% exploration XP from 18 to 20.

(Not ideal cause it would make newer PC’s and specially new players have a harder time catching up)

Alternative solution: TR stays, XP Curve stays BUT open Epic Levels with:

• 0% combat XP once you reach level 20.
    • Cap it at level 22 or 23 (I’d need to check when it becomes overwhelming, it would still take years anyway to get there).
    • A few feats are restricted/nerfed.

• While I will hold my own opinions on these matters... I will keep a separate list of discussion points here to split out into polls.

• Apologies, for I am wordy.

Concern: When staff attention switched to prioritizing PvE 3-4 years ago, Narfell accelerated the trend of losing what made it special - which is storytelling. Leveling, exploration, and magic items have become disconnected from morality-testing, character-defining stories. Player gaming skills have become mechanically rewarding while character actions have become virtually meaningless (with a few exceptions). Recent changes to the module have little to do with PC choices, and the in-game, in-character status-quo has largely been unchallenged. There is less a sense of being a part of something, much less a living world, much less a D&D campaign with an impressively ambitious scope.

(N.B., there are obviously significant exceptions to this overall trend, and I hope those exceptions know that I appreciate their efforts!)

Solution:

• Everyone: Recognize that in order to see change, a change in our own behaviors/expectations is required.
    • Players: There’s the usual, yes, to make extra efforts to be inviting, to post on the forum, encourage discussions and action on motivations, goals, character growth, etc. Also accept and support other players in accepting consequences, change, and loss because these are necessary.
    • DMs: Experiment - especially with scheduling and stories. Respond enthusiastically to character initiatives, giving quicker in-game feedback. Let PCs break things and let there be consequences. Recognize risks other than death and gold loss. Recognize rewards other than loot and XP. Test character bonds and morals. Acknowledge that returning to the status quo is an unsatisfying ending.

• RLG system is out of control and the acquisition of +3 items has become trivial.

A rollback to +2 soft cap with enchanting / crafting options.

• My personal concern is well enough documented and I've been vocal about it. But as an example.

Concern: I have a tremendous issue with the current death system, 180 days is far too long.

Solution: A straight reduction in the duration, and/or a method in game by which it can be reduced (outside of waiting it out, obviously).