Feud.

• Lina followed Eowiel silently. Now that she thought about it… the hatred of the raven wasn't directed at her, or anyone in particular… More like… He was the embodiment of hatred as an idea? She was not sure. The raven had said her name. Specifically. She had heard about spirit beings, whose only goal is to spread the idea that they represent... And this she had witnessed, very recently, when she had seen a spirit of fire within the walls of this city. And spirits rarely lied... Unless the spirit would represents such thing as deception or… But the book referred clearly to the two clans. Could her mother have been related to one of them ? Doubts, questions, and worries circled her mind, abstract mirrors of the crows circling above her. Anything was possible. The raven could even have cursed her because of the dark path she was walking on... But that sounded unlikely.

She focused back on reality at the sound of Anah's voice:

• Morning te ye lass, now what kin I be gettin ye te drink?
      They both ordered and sat down in a corner of the Lucky Ferret, silent. Lina turned the glass in her hands, watching the reflects of the liquid in the dim light of the candelabras.
    • Now that I think about it, she said, I think I should not have spoken the name out loud.
    • Which name?
    • Odd-Kharno.
      She turned the glass in her hands once more.
    • Hmm. Do you think saying it meant the raven thinks you're one of Odd-Kharno's, or that you might actually be one?
    • It was a spirit. The incarnation of a concept, she sighed. I am not sure. Not at all…
    • Neither one is all too pleasant a thought.
    • I know so few on my family, that anything could be possible.
    • Good thing I'm no human, or I might be worried myself.

Lina pondered this. Could she have been cursed because she was human? No, it seemed not restrictive enough. And it was not really true, considering her father's origins.

• Anyway... The raven mentioned my name, and I do not like it.
    • Well. No doubt we'll have our answers when you are attacked by a horde of Bogarth's descendants, hmm?
    • I hope not, answered Lina with a half smile.
    • We could look around for...crows.
    • I don't know... It incarnates hatred, or revenge.... she said then repeating, turning the words in her mouth, as if tasting them: " Bogarths will wish your death"
      She stood up, thoughtful. Time was not to have a drink in a tavern with a green haired bard.
    • Excuse me, I have to prepare my journey back to Jiyyd.
    • Alright. I'll go and see if Abiie woke up. Take care, Lina.
    • Farewell Eo.

Lina stepped out of the Lucky Ferret in direction of the Dancing Mermaid. She had a letter to write for Syne, and Eowiel did not need to know this. But she definitely had been useful. Crows followed her as she walked across the city. They were circling, high above. She entered the large inn and walked to her room. The birds gathered on the inn's roof. She set a few candles alight. It was getting dark. Another snowy day was beginning. She took a piece of parchment and her quill and sat down at her desk. Her gaze wandered to the window…

…And looking back at her, were the red eyes of a tired, hateful raven sitting quietly on the window's frame.

• They both stayed silent a while. Finally, Eowiel broke the calm of the little study.
    “ Hmm. If the Raven is here the feud must be here, no? Descendants of the clans? "
    Lina nodded and closed the book thoughtfully : “ But who? "

• Maybe we ought talk to the Raven again?
    • Yes, let us go outside.
    • Seems rather fitting that the Raven hates Bogarth, I suppose. Forced to serve him all this time.
    • Maybe." Lina picked up her book while Eowiel was piling up the pages of hers carefully. She stayed silent a moment before adding:"I would say he could hate the Odd-Kharno as well. Those wars build up hatred on both sides… And we do not know who wrote the books and on which side, he or she could have been.
    • Hmm… true, true. I think I'll inform the guards not to shoot down any Ravens. Call me superstitious… smiled Eowiel.
      Lina smirked slightly in return, putting the old book back on its shelf. Eowiel did the same with hers.

They made their way across the sleepy theatre. The day had opened a sleepy red eye upon the cold city and the corridor were still quiet. They stepped out in the pale light of the morning, and in their gaze flew up to meet the reddish eyes of the raven.

Eowiel gave it a curtsy, Lina, a smile. The raven was watching them curiously, perched on the theatre's door.

• I wonder who can have blood of one of those families in their veins, Lina whispered.
      Eowiel looked at the bird.
    • Can you lead us to the person you are here because of? She asked
      The raven stayed still and silent, its unblinking eyes looking at them.
    • Your story in not an ordinary one, Lina added, smiling at the bird
    • Not altogether a happy one either, you poor thing.
    • Indeed, said Lina. Then she whispered to Eo: " Do you realise that he probably hates he whom he is here for?
    • Indeed. Still, he may think we're on the opposite side, you know. Why else would we be so interested?"
      Lina nodded. Then turned her attention back to the crow:
    • Is one of the sons of Odd-Kharno not far from here?
      The raven's eyes turned suddenly to Lina. She looked back at it and added:
    • That is what you are looking for, isn't it?
      The gaze of the bird was intense, yet he remained motionless… He did not answer.
    • Well you do not really help us, feathered one, said Lina with a small smile.
    • Hmm. Bogarth? Asked Eo, a bit confused. One of his fellows here somewhere?

Swiftly, the raven took off from the door's frame and dived toward Lina.
    - Bogarths will wish your death, Lina, it cawed.

And it flew up toward the grey sky, to meet the many ravens circling there like high, menacing black dots against the heavy clouds.

• And what exactly did I do to deserve that? Asked Lina, puzzled.
      Eowiel glanced at Lina, repeating in a grim tone: "Ravens are messengers of death"
      Lina crossed her arms, watching the raven fly away. She frowned.
    • Yes. But I do not understand his sudden hatred toward…
      She stopped in mid-sentence. She knew so few of her own past…
    • Where are you from, incidentally?
      Lina looked at the palm of her left hand. She rubbed the glove that was hiding the thin scar. She had looked in the past once… It had been… She turned pale
    • What is it? Asked Eo.
    • I have never... been sure... My mother's father... Lina looked up at the sky, not really wiling to answer.

The raven was making a few circles above her head. His shadow passed over them... And finally directed his flight southeast. Lina shivered. Her mind was running.

• I need a drink, she said.

• The commons where busy, humming with conversations they did not listen to. They did not stop except to quiet a terrified Abiie. They headed to the College, and the raven followed them. But the bird did not enter the building. There, the child could rest and maybe a bit of the mysterious veil could be lifted. The little girl was exhausted and quickly fell asleep in Eowiel’s room.

They went to the library. The heavy looking bookshelves surrounded them, the scent of old leather mixing with the smell of old parchment and dust. They walked quietly amongst the alleys. It was late, the whole theatre was asleep and the only noise disturbing the silence was their steps on the wooden floor and the occasional rustling of pages. Eowiel ordered some food.

Finally, a cover caught Lina's eye. She ran her hand on the worn out cover on which was drawed a raven.

"We'll go read in the study, once we… Aha! ", Eowiel picked up another volume.

They moved to the little room nearby where a dinner was waiting for them there. The maid left the room quietly as they settled down to read. It was the same old looking book. The treated leather pages were sewn together and bound in a hard wooden cover. Some pages seemed to be missing. But hopefully, they had to versions of it and it would enable them to get the whole story. They sat down and opened their books, reading and eating quietly. The first pages depicted a familiar-looking raven. The title was written in elaborate glyphs on the worn, yellowing pages : "The Hanged Man's Saga". The book looked like it had survived centuries. Its writing was very unlike the flourishing script they were used to, the letters looked more akin to dwarven futhark runes. Despite is simplicity, the script was very careful and beautiful, and the drawings showed some art. It was written in common, though. And the author's name was not mentioned. Lina took a bite of roasted chicken, careful not to stain the book.

The tale started by introducing the barren land of Icewind Dale, where 13 families ruled together, traded together and occasionally went on a war together. After this initial introduction, focus shifted to two of those clans: the "accursed clan" and the Odd-Kharno. The leader of the "accursed" was named Bogarth, and days of his rule were violent, stained with both the blood of his enemies and kin.

The book went on about Borgarth and his followers. They were at some point caught in a family blood-feud with the Odd-Kharno family… And it took far too large magnitude. As years passed, feud escalated, as one revenge followed another, the hatred between families grew.

The leaders of the remaining clan gathered together, wanting to force truce between the warlike families. They ordered Bogarth and head of Odd-Kharno to show up for a special meeting. The purpose of the meeting was widely known, everyone expecting Bogarth to be forced to speak the peace. Yet, the meeting flew with blood, as Bogarth used it as another opportunity to murder his enemies, this time not hesitating to kill bystanders as well.

His name was cursed that day, he and his clan was cast out and forced to leave the land and be hunted like dog by every other clans. And justice was brought to him. He was captured and brought to his knees. He was hanged, his corpse burned, the ashes buried on a mound. The same happened to those who remainded loyal to him till the end.

Yet even death didn't teach him remorse. Before facing the execution, he yelled aloud curses… he said that the feud would never end, that his followers would hunt Odd-Kharno sons like murder of feud-crows. And whether by his curse, or the hatred accumulated between the two families, it happened so.. The clans didn't cease the feud. Even if both were exiled and forced to leave, spreading across Faerun. Wherever one family went, the other one followed, and brought the feud-ravens with them, carrying the centuries old hatred.

The tale ended there, mentioning that the ravens were the messengers, the servants of Bogarths, that killing them would bring ill luck to the murderer... and that they never lied.