Druids and armour

• While they may have been in the past, you'll be pleased to hear that strong crafters aren't penalised now. Each resource will take a set number of swings before it disintegrates.

• @5a7e33164a=rei_jin:

Short answer Dolvak? Yes, they can.

In regards to steel…

If you're a good smith (over 600 blacksmithing) and you get a decent vein of iron (around 50 hits, so on average 45 or so pieces of ore if you've mastered mining iron) you will get about 120-160 iron ingots from a single vein. You then have to convert it into steel, which will leave you with about 40-80 steel ingots, depending on how lucky you are.

And then you have to hope you get lucky attempting to make whatever it is you want to make, if you're after Masterwork. I've made more than 20 attempts at times to make Masterwork Steel Fullplate without success, and considering that each attempt takes 60 ingots, even with as skilled a crafter as Val is it means that every vein of iron is one attempt.

So that 20+ attempts to make that MW Steel Fullplate? 20+ veins of iron.

My Mining and BS are both very high… but so is my strength... so I tend to exhaust veins much faster than other PC's. I have never gotten more than 100 ingots from any iron vein.

• @5aded2729f=Clan:

Right… Steel. I guess I consider that rare since iron is no easier found than anything else.

Oh boy! Iron is a common spawn nowadays in at least three different maps that I know of, four if you count a place where -sometimes- it spawns.

Now if it's about rarity, then a MW Ash helmet should be awesome, like.. the best thing ever. lol.

• Short answer Dolvak? Yes, they can.

In regards to steel…

If you're a good smith (over 600 blacksmithing) and you get a decent vein of iron (around 50 hits, so on average 45 or so pieces of ore if you've mastered mining iron) you will get about 120-160 iron ingots from a single vein. You then have to convert it into steel, which will leave you with about 40-80 steel ingots, depending on how lucky you are.

And then you have to hope you get lucky attempting to make whatever it is you want to make, if you're after Masterwork. I've made more than 20 attempts at times to make Masterwork Steel Fullplate without success, and considering that each attempt takes 60 ingots, even with as skilled a crafter as Val is it means that every vein of iron is one attempt.

So that 20+ attempts to make that MW Steel Fullplate? 20+ veins of iron.

• @eafa4200ea=Moon:

However, I am not so sure if I agree why a steel helm should be a better base than anything else, of what I know some leathers and woods is as hard to find but still not the same equality in level of skills as base.

Simple question… If I am about to hit you over the head with a club/axe/sword, which would you rather have? A steel helm or a leather helm?

Since you arent familiar with the Narf crafting system, I'll give you a quick bit of [steel-based] info:

Steel (in our narf World) is the most difficult metal to craft with from the standpoint of its creation. In order to create steel, you need twice as much iron and a bit of coal. I forget the math, but you basically need to mine a few iron veins to make 1 simple Masterwork helm (assuming that you might get a MW item 1/10 times.)

Masterwork items in our crafting system are created by CHANCE, you can't set out to make a MW item… you just get lucky enough every once in a while to make one.

A helm requires 10 ingots. A suit of plate requires 60 ingots, AND 2 hardended large skins. You would need (estimating) about 10 iron veins for 60 steel ingots, and 2 hardened skins (from a tanner) PER attempt at making MW armor. Imagine going through the RL hours and hours of killing whatever badguys guard the ore, mining the iron, carrying it back to a hall, smelting it into steel, killing the large animals, skinning their leathers, tanning the leathers, creating the armor... only to produce a "mundane" piece of steel armor that no one wants to buy b/c its not MW.

Thats why Dwin has so many suits of steel armor in his PS. I cant bare to re-smelt them just to get about 48 ingots out of them. (anyone in the market? shameless plug...)

Anyway, I digress... this lesson went on longer than I intended 🙂 I just wanted to relay to you why Steel in Narf is the top metal, and why its so precious to deal with.

Ha ha ha.. I am not even sure if druids can enchant on this server so maybe this whole thread is nonsens 😉 😄
    [/quote

Thats a great question… can [we] they?

• I know nothing about crafting on this server I have chosen not to get into it (although I was a huge crafter on another server)

You are absolutely right about getting to know the class and make the best out of it to build your PC. I may not be good enough for it, could be as simple as that

However, I am not so sure if I agree why a steel helm should be a better base than anything else, of what I know some leathers and woods is as hard to find but still not the same equality in level of skills as base. That has nothing to do with class I think, but then again I know nothing of rules etc… maybe this is a discussion for another thread. I will make a suggestion of review of crafted item advantages to be added on the build 10 listings

Ha ha ha.. I am not even sure if druids can enchant on this server so maybe this whole thread is nonsens 😉 😄

• Right… Steel. I guess I consider that rare since iron is no easier found than anything else.

Druids, IMO, are a much more difficult class to play because of the restrictions, but no less fun if you go into it understanding them.

It makes perfect sense to me that a steel helmet is better than a leather one. It also makes sense to me that being able to turn into a wolf, hawk or bear is a preeeeeety cool thing to be able to do as well. 🙂

• Erm the +3 conscentration is MW steel helm all of my warrior types have them. Awsome base for enchanting you only need to make a 6 pts to get a good skill bump.

Mystic used double banded gloves to make a +6 disc/+6 consc when she enchanted for another PC and the enchanting cost isnt that bad at all 😄

That is kind of why I have this question regarding druids or any class that uses leather. Why should it be less for them.

But it was only my curiosity to know why, I can manage anyways. 😄

• I believe the +3 concentration helms are with very rare metals, right? Don't worry, not many of those around.

As far as off hours goes–I've fulfilled many many orders for people that aren't on when I am. All you need is a go-between and communication via letters ((PM's))

Pin a note to the crafting Hall, and you might've surprised at the response you get.

• Oh I get all that about druids oath etc, I was more referring to the items that we are, or are not able to craft. (sorry for not being so good in expressing myself).

I was looking over the crafting item list and the metal helm has as high as +3 conscentration, and the leathers isnt coming close to that although they have other advantages… and this less beneficial prereq would be the same for rangers (despite light chain) and rogues (although a rogue type has some neat stuff able to crafts Id say.)

Anyways I will have aza advertise what she is looking for on the Norwick notice board. That might give her at least a cloak or a glove. And hopefully she can make some enchating from that.

Thanks for the feed back much appreciated! 🙂

• Meh. Back in the Dungeons and Dragons Basic set, this is how druids had to play in regards to metal…

A druid may not wear metal armor of any type, nor use metal items. Leather is the only possible armor for druids, and while a shield may be used, it must be made entirely of wood. The standard weapon restrictions for clerics apply to druids, and they may only use wooden weapons (a specially made wooden hammer, wooden staff, etc.)

The restriction on metal items meant that a druid couldn't even use a sickle, you know, the instrument of the druidic faith. Nor could they use money (coins are made of metal) or even make the wooden weapons they could use.

The third edition rules are a watered down version of this, and Narfell waters them down even further. Druids in Narfell are allowed to use the standard druidic list, plus their deity's favoured weapon. If they follow Mielikki, they are free to use anything that a ranger could without spending a feat on proficiency (meaning no exotic weapons, and technically no tower shields, as those are supposed to be fighter only if you haven't spent a feat on them).

Mind you, druids have been told on Narfell that they're allowed to use alchemical items like Alchemist's Fire and Acid Flasks, even though they're made with arcane magic and alchemy and are more not natural than metal is… and they're allowed to use the Gnomish Blunderbuss...

No, I don't get it either.

• Druids take an oath on becoming a druid not to wear metal or use metal weapons beyond farming instruments (yes, the scimitar falls under these).

Never really made much sense to me, tbh. Metal is as natural as fur. Really the only thing Druids shouldn't be able to wear is Nylon.

• I know of one tanner who plays during your hours who can make those things you need.

you will just have to ask around to find out who it is! 😉

• It's just the way it is RPwise.

Use a middle man if you can, as far as crafting goes.

• Darn it … 😉 why is that? Never played druid . Please xplain the rational behind that (is it server specific or a general rule that druids are not allowed the same prerequisites). Keep in mind my cluelessness.

Finding a tanner or any crafter non metalworker, anyways these days making those helmets is like... on my hrs impossible. I have to lower my expectation and possible I can find a tanner that can make a minor belt, glove or cloak. Which is fine by me! 🙂

Sure I could have her try learning it herself, but she is too weak to go anywhere alone she will die and then id loose all the xp I need anyways to enchant. 😄

Sadly not many around (on my hrs) having a good enough incetive to take a low lvl out to learn crafting due to need of self persevation, lack of rewards for doing it, or simply b/c they just dont need to. 😞

• Part of being a druid means not getting the best base for enchantments.

You have to use a MW leather helm.

Leather
    Gnomish Searchagoggles (+1 Search)
    Gnomish Stereophoniclistenators (+2 Listen)
    Orcish War Mask (+1 Intimidate)
    Veil of Antovar (+1 Saves vs. Poison)
    Dread Cariboo (+1 Saves vs. Fear)