Crafted items question

• Thank you all for the information.

It seems somewhat odd to me at first glance that steel armor would be "better" than mithril. Isn't mithril supposed to be a superior metal to mundane iron and steel?

Also, is its rarity in Narfell a server community decision? Because if you take the DMG 3.5 as a reference, a mithril chain shirt, or elven chain (which is made of mithril) are fairly low cost items that are easily attainable by lower level PnP PC's. Hence why I did not think Mithril would be so rare IG.

Personally from an In Character perspective, there is no desire by my PC to become a crafter….so he will most likely seek out or enchant the item himself...now that I know the process.

• I smell dwarven brawl. :twisted:

• @aca848fb2f=Clan:

Not to mention that crafted Mithril armor is not as good as crafted steel or silver.

Thats just silly.. And you call yourself a dwarf? 🙂

• Not to mention that crafted Mithril armor is not as good as crafted steel or silver.

• In regards to mithril…

Mithril is close to impossible to ever find, and crafters are not allowed to sell crafted goods made out of it to anyone. If you managed to progress your own crafting to the point where you could feasibly make mithril armor (something that would take a massive investment of time and energy, probably more than 2 RL years of focussed effort) then you could possibly make yourself a suit of mithril armor.

I don't know anyone who has ever managed it though, and you'd certainly make a name for yourself if you did!

• Nothing with spell failure reduction is available through in-game crafting.

It must be enchanted. Please see this thread:

http://www.narfell.us/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=45909

@ecb9e6cb64:

Caster Properties
    arcane spell failure reduction - 2 point cost
    Max per item: 20%
    Special: 5% per 2 points spent.

The best you could get on full plate would be a 25% failure chance. That would be an 8 point armour which otherwise had the same properties as a mundane one.

The list of base items accepted in the Narfell enchanting system is in there too, along with the 'free' properties that carry over. Steel is popular for full plate because it offers 40% weight reduction. Mithral doesn't feature.

The procedure to do an enchantment varies depending on whether you're doing it yourself - be the right level, have suitable spells for what you want to enchant, get your materials, write and submit the enchantment.

Or asking someone else to do it for you in which you give them the materials and they write and submit the enchantment. If you're doing that yeah, find an enchanter in game or over the forums. They'll tell you their costs.

In either case, the current enchanting DM will find the enchanter in game to do the dice roll for success or failure, take the gold, xp, and materials, and provide the item. In the case of shared xp loss the item will only be provided after both parties have had their xp deducted.

• Legion

Lower spell failure is a magical property. You can follow the enchantment process below to enchant your own item that has the property or hire an enchanter to make one for you.

http://www.narfell.us/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=45909

If you have any questions about enchanting post them here or PM me 🙂