Game of Thrones

• SPOILER WARNING!!!!1!

I like how the TV show lets us all make the same assumptions of Jamie Lannister, the Kingslayer, as characters in the show do. Unforgivable, his acts may seem, but by the time I got to hear his side of things in the third book, I started to have a change of heart. He's one of my favorites now.

I hope the viewers get to experience that as well.

My only complaint so far is the noticeable lack of any epic battle scenes. Many of the major characters are caught up in a war that we don't even get to see. I get the reasoning, Battle Scenes are expensive and this show would be expensive enough given the filming locations. I'll bet the loss of Sean Bean doesn't hurt the budget, though.

I just hope that in season two, since they should be able to reuse a lot of costumes and set pieces, and not pay Sean Bean, that we'll get to see some time and money put into a couple battle sequences.

• @8c5d34e3b4:

1. The casting for Joffery…while the kid does a good job of pulling off the total ass joffery is, he jsut seems too young almost and too short compared to the other kids he is around (he is supposed to be a tall kid in the books). From what i understand, the origional casting for joffery was supposed to be the kid playing King Arthur in the Camelot series, but he left GoT because he got offered the lead in Camelot.

Are you sure about that? I read that the King Arthur dude was actually cast in the Pilot episode as Ser Waymar Royce, the lordling dude that gets slain in the prologue. However, a lot of the roles were recast for the Pilot HBO aired, including his role. Either way, I don't like that guy.

Love the books and the TV show, though. Fail decision on his part to leave GoT for Camelot, if true. I lost interest in that as soon as GoT started.

• So good. I plan on buying all the books and absorbing them all, all I say! Sadly since I have not yet read them I cannot compare between the series and the books. But I feel that it was an awesome show, I never felt lost and I never got that "wtf were they thinking?" feeling.

• I'm a big fan of the show so far.

• ICC

For Robert the height thing was more a personal preference issue…it would have been a bigger deal had they actually shown any flashback scenes of the battle at the Trident or any other point during his rebellion (though they could of gotte na different actor then to play the "younger " Robert). As fer Joffery's it just looks odd (to me anyway) to see him being shorter than Sansa

However, Mark Addy does a great job as Robert, and i am loving the job Peter Dinklage is doing as Tyrion (one of the book's most fascinating characters)

• Regarding actors' height: there's not much that can be done about that. Sometimes you find the perfect actor for the role, and… they're just not the height you want. So you make do. Unless their height is critical to their character, at which point you adjust the camera angle of every scene they're in to make them appear taller, or you downplay or write out that aspect of the character.

• HBO did a great job moving the book to the screen. There were a few minor changes, but they did not detract from the overall experience. I hope they are planning on covering the whole series of books.

…and for those that do not know...

"A Dance with Dragons" is scheduled for release on July12th.

• Some of the scenes they added for TV worked, I thought. I liked the Robert/Cersei conversation mid-season, and I saw the point for including at least one of the Littlefinger/Varys scenes in the throne room (the second just rehashed the first). I'm of two minds about the Renly/Loras scene, since it has thematically more to do with the second book. Theon's scenes were probably the most unnecessary, since they both had nothing at all to do with his arc this season and had him mostly acting opposite a character who wasn't being developed either.

I agree on the weirdness with Joffrey's height, but the casting was mostly spot on. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau brought a depth to Jaime Lannister that I don't think came across in the first book, but it's been a while since I read it. Same with Lena Headey as Cersei.

The thing that bothered me the most early on was how poorly the time and scope of the world were conveyed. This hurt the Dothraki a lot, but also given how quickly Catelyn could run up and down the King's Road on the show, it seems silly that Robb would have any trouble marching to King's Landing.

I'm happy that the last three or four episodes actually started to feel like real episodes complete with themes and arcs rather than "here's as much stuff as we can fit into an hour" editing of the first few episodes.