The main question

• Why play Evil in Narf? Well, there is only one answer to that, of course….

**Because you can! 8O

No, really. People play evil in Narfell for the same reason people play good. First of all because it is there and readily available to anyone willing to play it. Second, evil can be expressed in a variety of ways, just as good is (everyone has their own style of RP). Third, evil is merely a way of life, just as good is, and therefore should be just as prominent as good.

I believe that half the reason evil does not prosper in Narfell is because people (both evil AND good) treat it too much like it is in movies, where evil is always the big mean bad guy, the bad guys does something really evil like pose a bomb threat upon an entire city, and in the end the good guy always thwarts the bad guy's plans and destroys him as well. Sound familiar? I also agree that people who plan to actually go somewhere with their evil characters should RP their evilness more discretely, but that decision is completely up to the person playing the character.

The way I view evil is exactly how I view good. I see evil as a way of life, but one that is completely different than that of good. Opposing views on life = conflict, argument, bad feelings = choas, killing, hatred, **war.

I think the real question here should be :

Why play good in Narf? :twisted:****

• I think pirates can be Neutral, or even neutral good. Because there are many tipes of them, the ones who kill the people and take the gold, and the ones that have learn when they were little, to steal things, and they thing that´s good,there are much more tipes of pirates 😛 .

I think evil, apeares when the person who is being evil, is perfectly concious of his actions.

• The pirates code…if you can't keep up...you die.

Yeah, while pirates may break the laws...they have alot of rules to follow, though I see them as a CE in some areas and LE in others. Plus, pirates are not all the same. So pirates under once captain could be more like buccaneer/swashbuckler types while pirates under another could be more of a ruthless cutthroat type.

• Yes you can, and in fact there were a number of established codes that pirates lived by. One has to remember, a sailing ship was a complex affair, that required a large number of people, the majority of which were needed mostly in combat/boarding or handling the sails, but the rest of the time were given makework to keep them busy.

Here's a little site for a little light reading. Note the "disability payments". Intresting, and logical, stuff.

http://www.blackbeardlives.com/day3/code.shtml

• Hey lets put that behind us mae 😉

• I don't think of Deacon as evil, just rough. Amy would be very dissapointed if he turned out evil.

Besides, can you have 'lawful' pirates? Even LE ones?

• I started playing evil cause i saw oppertunities in narfell for one, at mae's time, there was no real organisation established in jiyyd or norwick, Mae being ratted out, her organisation is history, but her brother is eager to pick up, needed a excuse for my sailor to go pirating in the future, so i chose LE, intentional evil only showing it when you see reason to, nothing more. I play him as CN though, but that's my own weak rp 😉

• If you plan to ever do that Di_Em, send a little birdie my way…I've someone who would probably be a good match for him.

• Point Extracted: Secret evil is fun because you can backstab people.

Also, di_Em wants to make a Red Wizard of Thay and make a secret little evil slave trading cult.

Points Extracted and mission accomplished, signing off

• if I would ever play something evil, it would be a hidden evil, one action out of the darkness….infiltrating and infesting its suroundings....slowly creeping up into the the land...planning and plotting secretly to found something big but in a way the goodiesgoods are not aware of it.
    then one day I would let loose the forces of evil, open the gate and let the baatezuu wander the lands
    MUHAHAHAHAH

well, I'm thinking a while now about starting a red mage of thay. founding a little enclave in narfell that will slowly grow, gain in power and influence...politically as well as in power.
    why not...thay is not far away and new slaves are always welcome 😉

or, there is rass....why not talking her into becoming a dracolich? make a alliance with atol and found a dragon cult.

all that good hidden behind a curtain of darkness and with a smile into the faces of the goodiegoods 🙂

for me evil is not always open hostality...the worst evil is the one that smiles in your face and slices your throat from behind or when you're sleeping...watched by your trusted friend grins

I hope you get my point out of this blah above 😄

• @81c18b02cf=Uber_Hesky:

I personally prefer the hidden evil. You swing with the paladins and get freee heals like everyone else, but when you get right down to it, you're plotting behind their backs, ready to killerise them.

Exactly 🙂

And evil is more chalenging, less simple, more dangerous… That's what makes it so fun in my opinion...

And it's a bit about style too 😉

• I would play evil because it's interesting. I think that is why a lot of people play evil chars. The good people mainly have this happy community with free healing and adventuring in safe groups and so on, but one of the 'obvious' evils lives on the edge of society, with no-one to count on, and the pressure is really on. It gives the game more urgency and a feeling that a choice that you make could really lead to you being dead. Permanently.

I personally prefer the hidden evil. You swing with the paladins and get freee heals like everyone else, but when you get right down to it, you're plotting behind their backs, ready to killerise them.

It's a feeling of power and intelligence. Even as that nice cleric heals you, you're plotting to get him alone and sacrifice him. Even as you kill goblins at the side of a paladin, you're watching him get hit, and willing to finish him off if he gets injured enoguh for you to take him on…

Knowing that at any moment, you could turn on them and destroy them. But for now, you'll take their free healing... but when the tarnished moment comes, and they're counting on you, you can drop them in it and watch them scream.

Evil. :twisted:

• I like playing Evil chars because its a whole lot of fun to rp… Like garric during his year in jail ((month in RL))... I just like being mean and not doing things for justice and valor.. :twisted: 😉

• I have two characters that are evil, but my version of evil isn't "opposed to good" type evil, more of having a different approach to things than a good person has.

Batman is my favorite example. Not TV batman, even the new, more mature cartoon version, but the Batman from the past, the Dark Knight. Why let someone (whom Batman sees as "the bad guy") get to prison? Killing them saves anyone from having to deal with them, prevents them from escaping for more mischeif, and also allows him to work out his own problems without hurting people who don't deserve it.

Some people challenge who they see as wrongdoers by puffing out their chest, drawing their sword, and charging in. Stupid stupid, says one of my evil characters. Better to put a trap on their door, shoot them from a window, or poisen their food. If they take a hostage, if it looks like the baddie is going to get away, better the hostage die than the baddie gets away.

Interrogation? Current interrogation techniques can do amazing wonders without the need for physical torture, but the time involved may be too much for a gaming session (how do you RP sleep deprevation, messing with environmental conditions, withholding food?)…so in this instance perhaps fishhooks under fingernails may get what is needed where a good person would balk (or get evil points).

• Actually many view my CG snobby elven archer as evil 🙂

But … evil...

Why did I create Elissa?

For starters, I was looking for a complete change in roleplaying. And secondly... Elissa's early motivation was just to bully people into giving her money. She ALWAYS had something to do. I like that. Even if people would end up not giving her anything, she'd still have done something (chatted to them).

A faulty idea, because after a while, it gets boring, since it's repetitive. (and you might run out of characters you can bully around)

So, now.. when I play her because she's such a cute evil person. A person of her own standing.

Elissa, btw, helps most people....

• Yeah…I've always liked RPing a Dark Warrior/Dark Knight type...mostly because I like RPing hybrid type chars. I've never been able to play a pure melee or a pure caster char...only archer types and hybrid melee/caster types 😛

and Paladins were too boring for me to RP, so I chose the opposite of them 😉

• Hehe, i supouse your answer to my question is "I want to be evil, because I found a really enjoyable play of RPing with dark knights"

More… answers!? :roll: tries not to do it again 0DC of will safe....

NOW! :twisted:

• Well, like they practice necromancy which others view as evil, and they just view as another way of manipulating magical energies.

For clothes, my evil guy favors dark shades of red and black 😛

Of course my CN leaning towards good guy favors dark blue and black, but that's due to some of his history 😛

For Dark Knights, LE of course. Value their honor and such, but won't hesitate to do whatever is necessary to do something. Like a paladin, but flip the fighting for good with fighting for evil. 😛
    It's actually quite hard to explain, and you really have to work out how you RP it on your own.

• Good one! 😉

Evil, cool? when!? what!? 😛

But what part of "E V I L" is cool, maybe clothes?… I don´t think acting as an assasin is cool... just killing :roll: hehe
    About the clothes... you can also be lawfull good and have a dark armor with many pointy things :twisted:

Also, you said that "people" view them as evils... are them evils or not? I meant being evil, you! choose it... not what people think of your chars.
    And Dark knights what is good of RP as a Dark knight?

Answers! now! :twisted: lol! 3rd time and you will kill me… yes?looks arround watching those axes and blades

• Actually, the worst kind of evil is when a person stands around to do nothing to help a person in need 😛

Most of my evil chars are evil simply because -others- view them as evil. Some of them are evil just because I thought it would be interesting to RP, and most of those are a 'dark knight' type.

I think alot of the -obvious- evil on Narf are played by people who are fascinated by evil and think that it's cool…nothing more.