Potion Stacking

• Okay, I think we have lost site of the entire discussion. This is a new system Dora put in place to enhance the game and rewards for players. Does it need to be tweaked? I do not know. Are the rewards too good? I do not know.

I do know this thread was started as a request for discussion on the subject and we did get some good opinions and feedback. There was way to much personal snipping going on, but people get passionate, or maybe their sense of humor gets lost in the text.

We have beat the proverbial horse to death and some good suggestions have been made. If at this point all we are going to do is stab each other, I think it should be locked as the original poster suggested.

• @DarkHorseman I was there since you arrived to the previous map with the Tomb Riders. I didn't see anyone go down. Nor did I see 4 Heal potions being drunk. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I certainly didn't see it and there was no mention of it at all during the trip. I don't expect people to RP during fights, I understand it can be dangerous and not really worth it. But there was many other moments that could've used it, like the pause to get wood or the trip back, or the inbetween fights moments. I'm not going to derail the topic into an RP discussion, though.

The whole point I'm trying to make is that I think potions shouldn't stack, or should be more rare to get by. It doesn't feel like it takes that much effort, or that it's justified for them to stack, or that it's needed for them to do so.
    Now, whether we want to push to make them unstackable, is another matter, that I'm not discussing atm.

• @gonnar recount the heals uses to start, I used 4 if im not mistaken. 1 player went down during the trip as well. RP during combat, sorry no, im a slow typist and have never talked much during times im in dangerous areas, most of the server can attest to this. Did you catch RP as we traveled? As to your previous post, I agree with a little of what you said, much of it I dont. But as you point out, were all allowed to have opinions

• @gonnar said in Potion Stacking:

but then the main thing the server is suposed to be made for, RP, is not what seems to worry people the most.

....excuse me??

• @gonnar you absolutely did, rp "nil". that is a value judgment.

• @hekatoncheires

No, it's not early in the morning here.
    And also I followed you to make a point of how easy it was to get the potions that you (plural) claimed were so huge effort. I didn't judge your RP, never said if it was good or bad or whatever. I just mentioned the amount of RP involved in said trip. I never mentioned any names, either.

I do find it amusing though, that we're all talking about how the system of the server works in favour of this or that, and that the server is designed towards this or that, but then the main thing the server is suposed to be made for, RP, is not what seems to worry people the most.
    Mind you, I'm also guilty of this in ocassions, it happens. Sometimes you don't feel like it, sometimes you're tight on time, etc. Shrugs

• @adamic I do agree with that, mate. But then there's the question where's the bar limit? Why not allow just stacking stat items up to the max cap? etc... regardless of the fact we should just let people play and enjoy the server, there's also the balance that keeps things alright to be playing here. I'm not saying I'll fight for potions to not stack, I'm saying they shouldn't, or they should be way more rare. And I've given many points for that.
    If it doesn't happen is not a big deal, but that doesn't mean it should be like that.

• @gonnar so you literally followed us early in the morning, said nothing, judged our rp to be lacking to nil, to make a point in this thread?

• Small addendum:

I just saw 3 people do a Fire Giant Trip.

Healing potions used: One HEAL (and the cleric was going to heal the guy anyway), 5-10 serious wounds.
    Time: 24 min
    GBS Potions adquired: One of them was able to claim 7
    Amount of RP during the trip: Very low. It fits all in a screenshot and a half.
    Money made: Around 6k each more than enough to replenish what was used.

I'd say it was very few effort and high profit. But... what do I know.

• The simplest solution here is to play how you want. If you don’t like stacking, don’t do it.

If you have a problem with others “because it breaks the server”. What does that really mean? You’re basically saying it’s unfair that other PCs are more powerful.

What is that about? Why does it matter to you where other players are in comparison? It should stop you playing the way you want to play. It doesn’t and should stop your enjoyment. Must you keep others down to enjoy your game? I don’t get it.

We have almost no players. Stamping on others enjoyment or options is only going to drive players away.

If you want to be hard core like the “old Narfell” nothing is stopping you unless you can only enjoy it if you need everyone to be forced into your way of thinking.

I love and appreciate Wyvs characters that have self imposed restrictions without making a fuss and being a fun-martyr. Why can’t we all play and enjoy our own version of Narfell without forcing it on others?

If we are not careful we will be the last player playing on a server designed for 1.

My 2c

• @hekatoncheires Based on the opinion of someone that literally knows everything of the server to the detail, including spawning rates, drops, and can see what goes on behind the scenes. Also, if you're gonna make a post answering someone's post, it'd be nice that you actually bring something into the discussiong, rather than this last post that contributes nothing.

Now, before I go into detail with my post, let me remind you all that everyone can give their own opinion and that's fine. And that you should not take a suggestion or a discussion for useless just because there's other priorizing matters either. If you don't want to partake in the discussion because you want to talk about other things. Then make a thread about that other thing.

The post:
    @Kronan "I would have to say that odds are already skewed aginst the melee/dex based fighter, due to the limitations of the enchanting system that heavily favors casting characters"

How? Both can enchant up to the same amount of Point items. The only difference is the gold they have to pay for it. For a 9p item it's a bit less than 2k gold difference. Which in the current Narfell, if you can already enchant a 9p, is nothing.

@Kronan "All in all, melee/dex based characters need to get theese potions to do the stacking by either buying them, with gold received from hunting or events, or get the mastery. Casters get that for free."

No, casters don't get it for free. Casters can't cast greater versions of spells like the ones in the potions.

@Kronan "makes the melee warrior already loose, cause the rogue/bard/wizard/sorc that are in the back lines and can either heal themselves/not using healing resources, comes out ALOT better than the fighter that uses 4-5 heal potions, at 1500 a pop,"

Change the people you party with, honestly. If the casters in your group are not buffing the fighter at the front and keeping them healed, that's poor tactics and that's hardly the server's fault. A buffed fighter will always fight better than a buffed mage/rogue/cleric. Cause fighters do that, fight. If you want an IC excuse tell them IC that " you ain't gonna risk your skin and money for them if they don't give ya your spells".

@Kronan "There are less than a handfull characters that are non-dm that actually have characters that could take the role as front line"

Anyone with melee combat class HP and IMP Expt can be a frontline. And if they get buffed by the people they party with, even more. I don't see how that argument has any validity. And to make a case with actual numbers. A full plate fighter at level 12 (to say something) has, without spells and with +1 gear only (Tho they'd have some +2 by now for sure) 10+1+10+4+1+1+1 = 28AC + 10 from IMP EXPT 38 AC, when most spawn that are not crazily outside that level range have between 16-20 AB. If you add a couple +2 items at level 12, or a better build, you get enough AB that you get only hit by 20's.

@Kronan "And by the way, casters can stack also. It works on my caster to first take the greater potions and then cast the spell.

With that, Casters are still comming out stronger so I do not see why we should limit melee characters even further."

True, but her point is that it hurts both, casters and fighters. And that in doing so, it hurts casters a bit more since they have a better stacking chances.

@Hekatoncheires "Do you know what it takes to get to a point where you can create greater bull's strength potions? If this is easy, I encourage you to do this. If I give you a week's time, which seems adequate for an easy task, would you be able to do it? A month maybe?"

Yes, I know what it takes. Once you get there, a single trip to Fire Giants nets you 5-6 GBS potions. That's for most characters that actually do the place, 30 min.
    Now, if you're talking about achieving the mastery perse. I have a level 12 (now 13) bard that has been killing Hill Giants for 3 days, and after hitting level 13 tried with Fire Giants for another 3 days, except he can only kill the first 4-5 giants and then has to leave cause he can't take more.
    In 6 days of that I've done a third of what's needed to hit the cap. But not only that, I've also made like 1 level and a half of XP and a bit over 20k gold. Poor me. (I know not everyone can do that, but it still makes a point)

@DarkHorseman "15-30? Wow, before I spent the time grinding to be able to make my own, and grinding more to have the exp to burn into them I bet I only saw 1 greater bulls strength over three years playing Reemul. Im jealous."

You've been clearly adventuring in the wrong places if you were looking for these type of potions. There's actually a map (That you can find about IG pretty easily) in which you can as a norm get 2-3 of these Greater Bulls potions per trip. If you're lucky you can make up to 7-8. And it's a normal map, not a death trap or anything.

@Kronan "
    @robyn
    How do you figure?
    Not hurt melee?
    Your whole point is about not stacking , for an axample, bulls str with greater bulls str. you want to limit that, HOW DOES THAT NOT HURT MELEES?"

Again, they said that it hurts both, melee and casters, and that in a way it hurts more casters. (The non-stacking issue itself).

@Kronan "R enchant a weapon with no +to AB but only damage and then GMW to a +5! Something with a melee can never get without said caster casting that spell on them."

True. So go with people that cast the spells on the fighter. That's like me arguing María will never have 200 hp cause she has wizard HPs and I really need those greater endurance potions to reach those HP. Or attacks per round, why do I have to have only two? I'm forced to use haste everytime I want to get more than 2! - And that's why casters buff (or should) buff melees for more efficiency in combat. If they don't, that's people's fault, not the systems. - Also, yeah about 3 people in the whole server's history can make weapons +5, so let's not go to the extremes so easily.

@Kronan "You know that, I can wreck the server with Linah"

No, you can't. There's several areas/maps you can't survive in without either using a huge amount of consumables or having a party with you. So I wouldn't count that as wrecking anything. So the rest of that argument makes no sense to me.

@Kronan "I havent even started with who are most likely to die, wich you also know by playing many barbarian characters, Te additional xp cost, and risk, there is substantial."

Is not that substantial. There's true rezz available. Also I'll point out the classes that I've seen died the most are hardly fighters but low HP people that can't position themselves and who were butchered by enemies with high damage per hit (most deaths go for i.e: Rogues and mages, the later not so much in high levels)

@Kronan "Deep down, this is a recipee on how the server is built and how it require frontliners to foot a steep healincost and gear cost, coupled with a limitation of gear with limit the ability of what frontliners can do, that are not divine and/or casters."

Not true. The server is not forcing your casters to not buff up your non casters. That's a personal choice people do when playing their characters because they get bored if they don't click the red thing or annoyed if they can't be the ones taking the kills or what not.
    Also let me remind everyone about the absurd amount of dispelling creatures there's now in the server. Obviously if you're level 18-20 caster this doesn't really bother you that much, but well you're at the top of the ladder so... that's normal.

@DarkHorseman ""all it takes is farming" yes, that is all it takes, how much farming? Have you done these masteries? I know your characters are certainly capable. For me it took a considerable amount of time and effort, and constant time and effort to keep up with. I have had players tell me they wont put the effort into it because it takes so much time. Look forward to hearing your perspective."

As I said, in less than a week and very limited cause my PC can't go past the first 4-5 fire giants. I'm already a third into the max reward for giants hunting. And in the process I made a lot of XP and money. So.. barely feels like a chore or anything similar to that. But it does take time, of course, shouldn't be a free thing either. It just doesnt take "THAT MUCH OMG " time.

And lastly.

Why do you think there's a stat boosting item limitation? The point of it is that the Cleric that maxed wisdom to get all the nifty spells but in return has now 12 str can't just get all the items he wants to go around with 24 str permanently. If he wants to increase his STR he has to either use consumables or cast a spell and get a boost to it, but never reach the max.

Just tell me what sense do you think it makes for the server to have a limit to stat items when then everyone goes around stacking potions and virtually breaking this rule to have the max STR/DEX/whatever possible. And that, imho, is the reason why the potions shouldn't stack, or they should be made rare.

• Peltarch Employee

To weigh in myself, as Varya Tiller's player myself. I think stacking potions is fine, but I think those who put the time into mastery once they finally get the potions, the potions of greater bulls are easy to come by. There's people on this server that can clear all the giants in half an hour and make 5-6 Greater bulls strength after achieving the mastery (myself included) and I feel like thats way too much. Also, the fact that they can be sold I feel isn't ok. Mastery should by something for yourself, so making the potions that cannot be sold or traded I think would help balance things out.

Secondly, I was planning and hope to, when retiring Anna at some point, I wanted her (along with other NPCS eventually) to sell animal-focused greater potions at 1000 gold each as an NPC. Different characters/clerics can sell different things, like cleric of Mystra selling greater int, cleric of Torm selling greater charisma, Anna I'd like to have her sell wisdom, ETC.

now the actual stacking issue

These are my proposed solutions to removing stacking if this option is taken

1. Allow purchasable 'consumable' Ioun Stones in the form of potions
    2. Allow drinking multiple potions to stack up to their max limit (for example if regular bulls, you drink the potion once and you roll a 2, you can drink it again and roll a 4 to have it add up to 5 max. Greater Animal Potions (2d4+1), you drink one potion that gives you a 6, you can drink it again to put you up all the way to 9. This way, people can STILL get the max +12 benefit BUT they need +3 items in that stat to make it so

Lastly, with access to full strength, Barbarian Rage should change from STR bonus to BAB bonus, 2 AB for rage 3 AB for greater rage whether things are changed or not

• @gonnar said in Potion Stacking:

Eh, most of the things I've read in the last 10 posts are totally not a true representation of reality.

based on whose metrics? Your personal metrics?

• @gonnar "all it takes is farming" yes, that is all it takes, how much farming? Have you done these masteries? I know your characters are certainly capable. For me it took a considerable amount of time and effort, and constant time and effort to keep up with. I have had players tell me they wont put the effort into it because it takes so much time. Look forward to hearing your perspective.

• The biggest issue facing the server right now is lack of players - not stacking potions.

• Eh, most of the things I've read in the last 10 posts are totally not a true representation of reality. But I'm sleepy and I'll wait until tomorrow to make a long boring post.
    But please, don't label as "hard" or say " how much effort is put into getting those GBS" when in reality all it takes is farming Giants, which also give great loot and XP. As if you had to sacrifice anything for it when it's in fact a blessing from the Gods that on top of great XP and loot they also give you the ability to craft GBS potions.

Tomorrow more.

• @darkspyr said in Potion Stacking:

At this point I would suggest giving it a bit more time and see if it really causes some game issues. If something is seen as an exploit the team will most likely address it eventually. That being said you can embrace it or reject it as your PC'c see fit.

there's a hard cap of +12 to any single ability score and this has always been the case. The sudden widespread availability is generally due to current in game circumstances and may change in an instant.

• If limited, it will cause game issues points to previous posts

Deep down, this is a recipee on how the server is built and how it require frontliners to foot a steep healincost and gear cost, coupled with a limitation of gear with limit the ability of what frontliners can do, that are not divine and/or casters. It started, IIRC with the general HP pool, then to saves and nows it is both of them +AC, which are all limited by gear restrictions, while casters can buff themselves up to numbers that a non divine char can only dream of, thats a fact, thats how it is. Server builders want to challenge players and at the moment, the "automated" challenges is in saves numbers.

It is already a dead horse that divine chares breeze trhough theese challenges, cause they can heal themselves.

Wolfhere, and me for that matter, have 2(!) characters that can wreck everything given certain circumstances, Wolfhere, you know aswell as me that there are some enemies that Meadow cant handle, and there are some that Linah can not handle, but genereally, yes, and assasin and a shadowdancer can, more or less, wreck the server, but that does not mean that we should limit a whole section of character builds.

Ultimately, every class has its function, its strength and its weaknesses, it is the server rules that limits a classes viability.

• @darkspyr said in Potion Stacking:

At this point I would suggest giving it a bit more time and see if it really causes some game issues. If something is seen as an exploit the team will most likely address it eventually. That being said you can embrace it or reject it as your PC'c see fit.

I agree with you, and will put the matter to rest and refrain from further reply.

Like I stated in the original post, I was likely a fool to bring it up. In my opinion, in no way does it hurt melee classes more then caster classes. They are both impacted about the same with some caster classes hurt a wee bit more.

However, it's been made plain to me that others feel differently. Strongly in fact. So I'll drop the subject.

The DMs are welcome to lock the thread if they wish.

• At this point I would suggest giving it a bit more time and see if it really causes some game issues. If something is seen as an exploit the team will most likely address it eventually. That being said you can embrace it or reject it as your PC'c see fit.