Royal Decree: Voices of the People

• CAMPAIGN RULES: RPVP

These rules govern the election dynamics of those who wish to meddle. In the event that players attempt to interfere with elections, these rules will govern.

TOTAL VOTERS:

COMMERCE: 6,000
    RESIDENTIAL: 2,000
    DOCKS: 12,000

District victory depends on obtaining the plurality % of voters in a specific district (i.e. getting 30% in the docks, while opponents only get 15% each in the docks, means you win, even if you don't have 50%+1). Support from one district does not translate into support for another district.

There are different ways to swing voters.

MISCELLANEOUS IC ACTIONS:

These include speaches, and any other IC actions. The % vote yield of these actions depends on the IC action. Some speaches, and some actions are more effective than others.

CAMPAIGN WARCHEST (FUNDING/GOLD, PC ALLIANCES):

Depositing funds into your (or an NPC's) "campaign warchest" will eat the gold. The gold you put to use in your or the NPC's campaign can swing votes to your or the NPC's favour. The influence of the gold you spend depends on the relative overall spending (i.e. yours compared to other candidates). It also depends on what use you put your gold to; some spending is more effective than others.

Gold you deposit to your campaign warchest will target the pure swing voters, that are not affiliated with any faction or alliance. It is a separate means of influence from endorsements (while you can always try to "buy" endorsements -- this gold will not be deposited into your campaign funding, but instead into the pockets of the endorser).

Candidates: You can raise gold however you like: by using your personal funds, or by making promises for donations from other PCs. You cannot raise gold from wealthy NPCs, but you can obtain their "endorsement" which represents their contributions and help to your campaign (see below).

ENDORSEMENTS (NPC ALLIANCES):

Factions hold sway over voters, one way or another. Endorsements from the figures of major factions can help influence and swing the vote by a certain % of the overall votes depending on the district and the faction. Some factions may be less willing to endorse a player character than others. Some factions automatically endorse NPCs.

Non-represented % points are wildcard voters, not specifically allied to any faction.

You cannot obtain endorsements from PCs, but you can ask them for gold. PC "endorsements" count only as far as how much gold they spend (see "CAMPAIGN WARCHEST" above). If you want PCs to endorse you, they will have to pay up.

DOCKS:

Seafarers: 25-35%
    Wavebreakers: 10-15%
    Any Other Registered Guild: 5-7%

Non-Human Labour Faction (3: Hins+Gnomes, Elves, Dwarves): 2.5-5% influence each.
    Human Labour Faction (1: Human): 8-12% influence.

RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT:

High Priest of ODS: 10-15%.
    Any Magistrate: 10-15%.

Snydders House: 10-15%.
    Hemway House: 2.5%.
    Borodin House: 7%.
    Any Other Noble House: 5%.

COMMERCE DISTRICT:

Defender General (Del'rosa): 10-15%.
    Defender Captain: 2.5-5%.

Autonomists (Berlinne Toews): 2.5-5%.

Any Licensed Brick and Mortar Shop: each 1-1.5%

(Wilting Flower: Lacey U'ndrewarr
    The Dancing Mermaid Inn: Katarina Du'Pre.
    Hemrod's Exotics: Hemrod
    Bag of Holding: Evra Lane
    Renaldo's House of Music: Renaldo Undrenneas
    Stargazers: Jach Amraphel
    Violetta's Fine Garments: Violetta De'Marceau
    Vanity Plates: Vanessa Aerman
    Dolvak Extermination Services: Nor Dolvak
    Droibo's Self Storage: Droibo Leadium)

Any Licensed Marketplace Stall Shops: each 0.5-1%

(Sofilia Dalley: Marketplace,
    Evendar Valwick: Marketplace,
    Gilfina Amalith: Marketplace,
    Perin Highfold: Marketplace,
    Kala Cencia: Marketplace,
    Bardic College - Picklepepper & Sons Bookshop: Junior)

Any Blade and Bow Shopkeep: 0.5-1%

(Binvet Firn,
    Luc deFerrinac,
    Lomendel Elle)

PC CANDIDATE CESSION (CANDIDATE ALLIANCES)

Cession of candidacy involves removing your name from the ballot and throwing whatever support you've accrued through the warchest and NPC endorsements behind another PC candidate. The support will suffer depreciation: some of that support may be lost if voters or your NPC endorsements do not agree with your new political ally's platform.

[OOC: This section is invalid, as the ballot contains no PCs running against one another, unfortunately.]

INTELLIGENCE (POLLING):

If you want to know the chances of you or your opponents, or another, polling is the method. Spending gold on polling to know your own chances and the chances of your opponents can yield varyingly accurate data, depending on the gold you spend per week.

5,000 gold: accurate data.
    2,500 gold: data within a 5-10% margin of error.
    1,000 gold: data with a 10-20% margin of error.

• The ballot is closed as is.

Campaign season is underway.

• Herald Isaac Thaddeus makes it known that the ballot entries are closing soon. Anyone wishing to add their name to the ballot must inform him in no unclear terms as soon as possible.

[DM Xanatos Gambit]

• Reclusive local historian and former Senator, Eowiel Senella, can be seen making rare appearances in the residential district, calling on various noble families she is familiar with, particularly Makere, Je'laan, Ashald and Brynmor. She also stops by the tourney grounds on busier days to sell cheap copies of her book and tell anyone who is interested that she believes Jonni Aelthasson is the best of the current crop of candidates.

• The Halfling Defence League

Ros grins at Mashal, raising tankard as he finishes

"Indeed, the guilds are doin' great right now! And are the people sharin' in tha'? Not exactly. In fact, th' seafarers jus' stopped givin' folk ther yearly raises, an' fired them as asked fer 'em. This'n is wantin' ya ta vote fer them plucky overdog guilds tha' pay starvation wages, an' uses diff'rint wages ta set ther workers against each other so they cn' keep exploitin' 'em. It's unconscionable wha' they do, an' any decent person oughta be ashamed of it."

"When th' guilds do well, th' docks do well? When th' guilds get money, they hoard it an' admonish or fire th' ones who made tha' wealth fer 'em if they even dare ta ask fer a fairer cut."

She nods towards Mashal

"An' aye, I was a friend o' King George. When my people was barely survivin' out in th' pass, I came here on behalf o' th' HDL ta petition him fer aid, an' he gave us shelter. Are ya suggestin' I shouldn't support some'un who help'd a group o' folk when we ask'd? He knew tha' his position came with a responsibility ta do all he could fer them who wasn't so fortunate as he. Th' guilds, though? They see those who don't have the advantage o' ther wealth as a resource ta be exploited - nothin' more, an' nothin' less. Th' guilds already have ther say. They don' need more. But they want more, friends. By th' gods, they want all th' say they cn' get. They won't be satisfied until they got all th' say ther is ta be had, an' likely not even then. Th' people are th' biggest check on ther power."

"Th' job is ta be th' 'Voice o' th' People', not th' voice o' th' guilds. Not th' voice o' rich merchants who already got more'n they need. Vote fer me, an' you'll get some'un who'll advocate fer ya th' way I did fer th' hin. Th' way I did fer th' Defenders when Smoke tried ta set fire elementals on 'em. Th' way I've done fer th' orphans in th' Commerce District. Th' ones exploitin' ya from th' guildhouses ain't able ta be trusted ta fight fer th' people."

"But I already have fought fer th' people, an' I always will."

• Arch Weyland, dupe of Smoke, got a lot of sons an daughters killed......Wonder who he is a dupe of now?? Words floated through the taverns,

• For some people, the light-haired children of Aelthas and Lycka have been a common sight in the Residential District over the years. Often seen at play in the tournament grounds near the family home or at the Temple of the Triad, being watched over by the temple staff when their parents were off fighting for the Jewel.

As an adult, it is no different. Jonni is still seen walking the streets of the District, splitting his time between his successful business in the Pass; the Witch and Seer, or at his family home while conducting his Defender duties. He is almost always seen wearing his usual garments; a uniform of the Cerulean Knights - five stars proudly displayed on the collar.

Now with the official announcement of his run for Voice of the Residential, Jonni is seen with a change in his look. At times, he now wears finer attire, one that is more often seen in the wealthier side of Peltarchian society. His usual clean-shaven face is covered by the beginnings of a blonde beard; short and neatly trimmed.

His use of a cane due to the injury he suffered in service to the Jewel often keeps his pace slower - the perfect opportunity for those who wish to question him to come forward as he walks the streets. He is quick to offer a smile or spend some time speaking to those with questions, or to simply exchange pleasantries with the people. He is not canvassing door to door but word begins to spread that he is looking to hold a gathering for the citizens of the Residential District. Where all expectations of what they wish from their Voice can be put forward and answers given to any concerns they might have.

• While Shesarai was sitting in the Mermaid eating dinner, a couple patrons approach her.

"Hello Ma'am," one of them says, holding his hat in his hand. "You are well known around here. I've seen you adventuring with Scott, they said you were the Cerulean who raised Arch Weyland, can he be trusted now? What about Lucy Rhodes? May we ask who you are supporting for the Voice of the Commercial District. ?"

Shesarai looks pensive for a moment, then replies: "I know all three, yes. But I make it a practice never to discuss politics. I will certainly vote, but my choice will be private. Thank you."

AubreyMaturin

• Jasmine makes no grand speeches. She’s not even particularly vocal. However when asked, or when it comes up in casual conversation with citizens, adventurers and other guards, she voices her support of Jonni Aelthasson. “He’s honest”, she says, “and will speak true to the king about the will of the people”. If remarks are made about her past relationship with him, she simply comments that while it ended, the fact that she still speaks well of him despite that should speak volumes of his character. She has no opinion of the others.

Autumn makes no bones regarding her support of Arch Weyland for Commerce, Roslyn for the docks and Jonathon Pendergast for Residential. “They’re all nice people”, she quips, “And Roslyn is about the cleverest person I know and has had the ear many influential people. I’m sure they’ll all speak up for the people, and get their voices heard.

Rika is easily the more charismatic of the three. She’s often seen by the Mermaid sitting at one of the tables with her feet up. If asked, she simply smirks and says “I hang my helm in Norwick. I don’t give a shit about the politics of the city”. She waves her hands dismissively, “I don’t know any of them well save Scott. He’s a great warrior. I’d put my life in his hands and fight by his side any day. The rest?”, she trails off and shrugs.

• Scott doesn't seem to be as active in trying to convince people they should vote for him but he does let people know that he is running and will listen to anyone that might have something to say or who wishes to ask him questions.

While vising shops to sell his plundered valuables he assures the shopkeepers that he has recently wiped out bands of Orcs, Bandits, Highway Robbers, and other threats that would attempt to disrupt trade by making the routes unsafe

On occasion he is asked what he plans to do to help the people, in which he responds that his main goal is to be the devils advocate on the council to ensure that there is no discriminate representation to any single faction within the city. As it stands he is unfamiliar with the desires of the people beyond wanting to better themselves and earn profits for their business to which he simply asks those what they want him to push toward to achieve those ends.

Those who know Scott from the image he portrays himself to be ask him why a whoremongering thrillseeker would care to even bother getting involved in politics when it has nothing to do with him and doesn't gain him anything? To which he would respond simply that that is the best reason to consider him. Having no stake in whether or not he wins means that he has no hidden agenda, he will do what the job asks of him and what the people ask of him and nothing less. After all it is the Voice of the People, not His own Voice. He will bring the People voice to council and do what his station demands.

A few have asked what kinds of things he might do that he believes will help the people of the commerce district. He says that he does have a couple things he thinks the people might like but may be too afraid to ask for. One of them being a change to the laws regarding non citizens selling weapons in the city. While on paper it would seem that this law prevents outsiders from underselling established merchants but the reality is that not everyone obeys the law and all that this does is prevent businesses from buying wares for their shelves at a reduced price since non citizens will sell outside the law or to a fence either way. It only hurts the law abiding merchants. Another thing Scott would bring up is the Ban on those of the Banite Faith. While keeping corruption out of the city is something that helps to maintain peace, for a struggling merchant it doesn't mean much. By lifting the ban it will allow all those of the commerce district to expand their distribution lines to those who follow Bane. It is well known that the Zhentarim have well established lines of trade and that as they are willing to use slave labor their cost margins are very low. While many do not care for slavery it doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed to benefit from it indirectly. Whether or not they support it isn't going to change the fact that it happens. Scott being a seasoned Defender assures the people that as long as he protects Peltarch lands and people he will continue to ensure anyone on Peltarch land engaging in the slave trade will meet a swift end at the edge of his blade

• Following up after Roslyn's rounds at the Regal Maid, Mashal skips up on a seat and onto a table, raising his tankard speaking aloud as he breaks into a winning smile.

"My fellow drinking mates, working women. We the people of the docks have only cared about two things. Profit and opportunity. Grandiose speeches of community and caring are all fine and dandy, but let's not pretend Roslyn didn't just buy off your drinking tab."

"It's as she said, we know how the game is played. You listened because she was paying. An opportunity to profit. It's just the way we are. Why would we try and pretend to be otherwise? The guilds run the docks for a reason, it's not exploitation, it's just good business. How many of you would do the same given the chance? I sure as hell would."

"And again, we do know Roslyn. So let's not forget the little glaring detail of her extensive proven friendship with the crown! As for myself? Why am I speaking up? Well, I'm a friend to those that matter. When the guilds do well, the people of the docks do well."

"If you're going to vote for someone, just remember. Profit and opportunity!"

Raising his tankard in turn and finishing his little impromptu speech, he hops off the table, once again the piano man for the evening.

• The Halfling Defence League

Ros makes her rounds of the Docks district, making a point of stopping in all of the taverns to try and talk to everyone, be they hin, dwarf, human, elf, gnome, or anything else, to try and gauge what their concerns are, as well as to answer any questions about what her political positions are. Each time, she starts off these visits by covering any tabs in those establishments, as well as by buying food for those who require it.

((Flom, just let me know what amount of gold you think is appropriate for that and I can drop it the next time we see each other IG))

"Friends, y'all know me by now. At this point, I been talkin' ta folk all o'er th' Docks tryna find whatcher lookin' fer in some'un ta represent yer int'rists. An' I keep hearin' th' same things: a livin' wage, fair treatment under th' law. I ain't gonna lie ta you folk: ther's people out ther who's comf'erbul with exploitin' ya. Whether tha' exploitation is through forcin' ya ta accept ther low wages, or blackballin' ya when ya speak out against 'em, or even refusin' ta hire ya 'cause they cn' pay another even less than th' pittance they'd pay you - it's all exploitation, an' it's all wrong."

"Now, we all know how this game is played - they've been forcin' us ta be ther pieces fer as long as any'un cn' remember. Ther bringin' ta bear as much money as they can ta try an' buy this election, 'cause ther rich, ther powerful, an' they think they deserve it. But as powerful as they may be, ther's more o' us than ther is o' them, an' all o' us deserve a voice. If I cn' promise ya one thing, it's this: I won't stop fightin' fer you. Not a tradin' coster. Not any guilds. Not ta any'un gettin' rich off yer backs. But fer you."

"Now, if ya have questions 'r wanna offer concerns fer what ya'd want me ta propose, please, I'd love ta hear 'em..."

She smiles to the patrons in the inn, looking around for any who would want to come up and voice a concern. Once she finishes listening to any who'd talk to her, she moves on to the next inn, and the next, operating in a similar fashion and giving similar speeches to the patrons of those establishments as well - and each time, seeming more than happy to give her time to listen to what the people have to say, if anything, and to answer questions about her own views on things.