Blue Raven's Journal

• Mining with Sir Goldenaxe is fast becoming one of the things I look forward to.

• Finding birch near the pass to the wyverns was fortuitous. I find myself working with Ethuil to be very easy. I am glad we have branched out from clearing the goblin mines to other challenges.

• Those spiders out near the Scar... where the wyverns fly and breed... near where the cliff's edges and the forest meet... their webbing was large enough to ensnare an adult wyvern. And the largest that tore through the trees after us was... not just disconcerting... it was outright frightening. I will have to check on the area next time I go out for birch.

• I keep thinking back to going mining with General Thorn of the Legion. He is quite charismatic in a quiet kind of way.

• Autumn was quite flushed when we chatted about Fabian. I forget that she is quite young... for an elf.

• I was able to smelt gold on my own for the first time yesterday. Much room for improvement. I think I was able to get eight ingots from more than one hundred pounds of gold ore. More practice... more practice.

• Selling a pair of my belts to Autumn made me feel like my crafting is starting to come to fruition. I am helping others through acts of creation... not just protection!

• I have heard tell that Scott Grimm is preparing an expedition to the Elemental Plane of Earth. After seeing him and his disregard of his companions, I am concerned that I will be tempted to join him. Seeing an elemental plane though... the things I could learn about the form and how it translates into my own martial arts and outlook... I will have to meditate... perhaps ask advice of my Priestess.

• My belt arrived from the monastery today. My spiritual leader was able to use the spell crystalled belt after all! I will use it well. Praise my Order and their support!

• I will have to remember to be aware of my surroundings. The speed with which the powerful of Peltarch were threatened by the Silver Host, and acted upon that threat was quicker than I expected. Smoke casually offering me a position in the Far Scouts was a deft maneuver, especially looking at it in hindsight. My vows to the Order and to my Godess saved me quite a bit of dodging the offer.

• I was shocked, that none of my companions would go to assist the front line soldiers of the Silver Host that would have died to elementals. Just because something is rotten at the top, doesn't mean those soldiers were not honorable men. I know I risked the mission to stop Vere... but, there was no other choice. And when I somehow helped them fight through... to threaten to kill them to hide our advance?

• When we found villagers burned and dying, to be told to move by them quickly without stopping to help them? Well, it was apparent that Smoke's mission and the one he told us we were on were significantly different. I shall have to watch this partially... inhuman... Smoke person carefully. There is MUCH deception and shadow to him.

• Seeing Captain Gom's unit dying protecting that village from the elementals? I know it was his choice. I know he knew we were there... and watching him die. But he knew what had to be done. It still did not make that choice any easier. Oh Selune... the tests you give... sometimes I do not understand Your guidance.

• When Vere was captured and made harmless, I used the magical speed drink and sprinted as fast as I could to the Captains side. Miss Underhill and Miss Haltrude where already there battling the elemental that had skewered the Captain. His screams as his body was being burnt. I must thank Jade Raven for the endless practice sessions projecting my Ki outwards in a shout. Getting between Captain Gom's body and that thing of fire allowed me to push it back just long enough to give the Fire Giant that Miss Underhill had turned into time to grab the thing of fire and toss it off the cliff.

• I am ever so glad then that I still had that canteen of regeneration fluid handy. Having a hand in saving the Captain, may have been one of the only good things to come out of the day. Having the honor of fighting at the side of Gom, and Underhill, and Halstrude... it was humbling. All these... common soldiers... dying. Simply to correct a deception.

• The choices were necessary, but I wish I had been able to see a better way. That Torm let his wayward tool on this world continue in his name without acting? It makes me question His principles. Although I am SO glad that Torm wasn't the power behind the prison. That would have been... cataclysmic to my faith.

• That bubbling pool of... well... it looked like blood, but in reaching out with my Ki... it was... black. Blacker and fouler than anything I've sensed before. That includes the Demon Generals I fought with Sir Holmsmead. That includes the fiends at the entrance to Hell. To think that it sits below Peltarch.

• It was good the channeling of positive energy seemed to heal it. What did the Inquisitor say to the black eyed... child-shaped thing that came from the pool? She said, Indrid Cold. And the thing responded. Something about murdered children. Unen said he saw a dozen of those... children... and this man in the pool.

• And like a magic eater... this thing fed on any magic but the positive energy of healing. I hope my scrawled warning on the ground is enough to catch any curious from exploring this area with magic.

• That.. black wound... there is still a scar where we... mended it. I will have to return to make sure that whatever this... Indrid Cold is, it doesn't broach that weak point again.

• Thank you Selune... for the power of will to resist the fear and hatred that thing gave off. You are ever my Guide, and I am ever blessed by You.

::thoughts while praying at the Selune shrine::

• I produced my first rapier worth putting my name to. I have mixed feelings about this. The craftsman in me admires the way the metal bends, the way the edge stays sharp even after blocking with it. But, it is a tool intended to do harm. My pride in check, I find myself tempered by if I should even be making weapons.

• I am unsure about staying at Lieutenant Grimm's shield. My responsibility is to those in my charge, and yet... that mist dragon?... I guess that is what it was... was cornered. I did call through the door to explain it could not lair this close to Peltarch... but it insisted on staying... and being left alone.

• The oxen at the front door... that belonged to a cattleman. That was an act of a natural killer though. An apex hunter. It would have continued to kill Peltarch's cattle. And what if a cattleman had tried to fend off it's herd? No. That is the thing's nature.

• It had to go. But the manner in which the events unfolded. They do not sit right with me. I may have to choose my shieldmen... more carefully. This is the second time where the thrill of a fight has driven Lieutenant Grimm to do something I have seen as... questionable morally.

• Having my own space for the first time in my life is yet another learning experience. There is much solitude in a monastery, yet... little loneliness. I find myself propped up in the one window in the place... above my desk. It overlooks the crafting hall... and I can hear the bells from the ships in the harbor. Above the city walls, I can see the Giantspire Mountains. Having this space... it is allowing me to explore loneliness. I have been watching an alleycat that stalks the back alleys across the street.

• The dinner party at the estate of Mister Calloway was as uncomfortable as I had thought it would be. I would have avoided it, except Lieutenant Jorino seemed to be looking for someone to distract and to watch her back. And I do seem at home in that role. It is quite unnerving to be surrounded by people whose intentions are purposefully misdirected. But, good practice against the like of the twin of my Godess. Darkness is all about misdirection. I should learn more about those methods.

• Reminds me of the games we played at the monastery. In those games of strategy, each piece had a role. But what kind of piece purposefully puts itself in the middle? Whatever that piece is... it is what this Calloway is. Positioning himself to benefit no matter which side lost. And also to position others that if they lost, they could take the blame... even others on it's... side.

• Trying to get the wizard that took that crechemachine... whatever that is... from him... to try and get that same wizard to use it in the manner that he wanted to use it for in the first place? And then position it so that if the idea was refused... that that wizard would then be blamed for not using it in defense of the city. It was quite a maneuver.

• The idea of having a portable... null magic item... Lieutenant Grimm had a good thought bringing that idea to light. But... I think perhaps it may miss the point. Getting it around this Vere... mind reader... is the trick. She READS MINDS! Perhaps something that blanks a mind... in much the way we were taught at the monastery. Hmmm... what if this Vere isn't the Devil I think she is? What if she is faithless... but able to control minds... like... a mind flayer? I must ask Miss Proudfeet what she knows of those... things.

• The Oscuran Inquisitor and Priestess of Bane... Lilianna. Seems their Tribunal is attempting to shift power. Civil war in Oscura? Or the regular maneuvering of those with no honor or trust in their fellows? Her companion... I heard him called Elendel by the others in the expedition... as well as Protector of Oscura... seems a slippery one. Twice I protected him from those devil women when they had him enthralled... with no acknowledgment. He seems quite full of himself.

• It is disturbing that Grimm made no attempts to close this threat to his city. Only sought to test himself against a Pit Fiend... which, luckily, we did not encounter this time. I wonder if he, for some reason, has a death wish.

• I was able to skin several of the Hellcats in their native plane. The skins remain upon my return to our world. Peraps unwise, but perhaps the Tanning Master in Peltarch can help me craft a cloak that will lend this devilish power towards defense against demons? Barring that, I am sure the Ceruleans can study it to find better ways of harming the fiends.

• Lady Snyder continues to leverage what she can to garner power in the Peltarchian power structure. I only see her in the company of those whose methods and morals I find... questionable at best. She is a shadow that will need lighting up at one point or another.

• Finding the shepherd girl's body... as crushing as it was to have to carry her small broken body home to her parents... at least she will be given the proper rites and a decent burial. Perhaps her sacrifice and giving her body directly to the Crown Herald will spur the Crown to take action to rid this devilish threat from their realm. Perhaps I can use Lady Snyder's hunger for power to leverage the situation to spur further action?

• There is still the pressing matter of the Silver Host. I hope Verika found SOMETHING regarding the two blessings and their source. With those remains and long dead corpses of Jiyydian soldiers being piled on the areas south of that old town... I believe the Host to be active in continuing to purge demons from the area.

• I wonder if the destruction of Demons, and the opening of a portal from Hell to allow Devils to roam... are somehow connected. Was the Silver Host's puppetmaster clearing the ground for their own troops in another outcropping of the Bloodwar here on our world?

• The letter from my Order... letting me know that I am now a Raven was unexpected. Perhaps the increase in the responsibilities I am trying to manage go with that? How did the Hawk and Dove know? I have not communicated with the Order since my release to sojourn. Perhaps it is Lady Moonbeam at the Lighthouse Temple? I will have to ask her.