An Open Letter from Dorakhan - Shadowdancer PrC

• There have recently been a number of shadowdancer PrC applications and I want to clarify my position on them - but keep in mind, my opinion doesn't represent the entirety of the team. I'm keeping this thread open for discussion but keep in mind, also, that it might be locked very quickly if 'discussion' turns into arguing.

In any case, first a quote from Wykith (who is also quoting himself):

@55abc72230=Wykith:

Yes, I've never once said yes to a SD application, and I think in my reponse to the last one, I finally worded it in a way that might make people understand my point of view.

@55abc72230:

I just read this application, and I know I seem very militant about Shadowdancers but I feel I have to be. It's a terribly easy class to exploit, and I feel requires a VERY heavy RP reason to take on.

For me, a true Shadowdancer is someone who shrouds themselves in mystery, has an intangible presence, a personality that seems both dark, and alluring. It's not someone who loves to be unseen, likes to spy on people, or "kills from the shadows"…that's a rogue. A shadowdancer is someone who is in their heart, a shadow, there...but not there, passionate...but elusive. An undefinable character, an unlabled poem.

The only impression I got from this app was "I'm very sneaky, and it would be cool to have HiPS."

So, no from me.

This is my stand on every SD application, until I see someone apply that meets the requirements above stated.

The shadowdancer PrC came out with the Shadows of Undrentide expansion - June 21st, 2003 (and keeping in mind the server didn't upgrade to SoU immediately) and since that time we've had, by my count, six shadowdancers in server history (more were approved, but never executed - veteran players/DMs correct me if I'm wrong here).

Format: Character (Player - Class)
    In chronological order…

That's it. The entire history of Narfell… six shadowdancers. You might also notice that the first three on that list were DMs and the next one was a player guide. Let that be a slight indicator of the amount of trust the team currently needs to have in you to say "yes."

In Gears's case, I ran the PrC quest personally - nearly every day of the week for a calendar month - and he still only barely succeeded while maintaining excellent RP the entire time.

The bottom line is you may very well be great with RP, but unless you stand out as truly exceptional, my vote on your PrC application will be no. Especially if your character is combat oriented, has sneak attack, and you, as a player, are good at the whole "combat" thing - and the more these things apply to you, the more exceptional your RP needs to be.

This PrC has ability to, in many circumstances, disengage from combat whenever they please. This should especially be emphasized now with plans to remove true seeing and blindsight from so many spawns.

There are plenty of PrCs out there now with open access that are incredibly powerful: weapon master and assassin to be sure.

Just, as a player here in Narfell, take this information into consideration if your application is denied. Your time investment and roleplay has not gone unnoticed.