New Whispers at the Fire

• @d8850eb7a9=Karnivor:

…The temple of Chauntea suffers heavy damage as giant stag beetles ram into the building repeatedly, though Yllalyn and her staff manage to avoid casualties within.

*Z spends countless hours clearing rubble, reinforcing, and then repairing the wall.

Others, such as his good friend Beourn, lend him a hand when they can.*

• Unknown to many of the town at the time but filtering back through the guard another tale is told. As the defenders were recovering and the town celebrating Albryanna and a few adventurers were at the south gates inspecting the filed of battle. It was then the other goblin tribes took advantage of the carnage. Assassins were sent to spy and probe the defenses followed quickly by larger forces, that turned into a full scale infantry assault.

And once again Albryanna, unbeknownst to the city, was called upon to defend them. The tales are more garbled since the guards were tasked with the town and only the few defenders stood the gate. One story did make it back to the inn. At one point Albryanna was completely buried beneath the raging bodies of her small attackers. The often seen figure of Vick told the tale of the mountain of writhing goblins that shuddered and then collapsed from within in a tide of blood and viscera. Albryanna was a sight to rage fear in anyone's heart as she exploded from the mass. It certainly proved so as the few surviving goblins scampered back into the night.

Townsfolk and guards alike spread the tale quickly when the tired and blood soaked figure wearily stumbled back into town with the support of Rasuil.

Not once but twice in the matter of days she had turned back the tide of attackers. Little mention was made of any others in the tales growing on everyone's lips…

• Revelry goes late into the night as spirits are passed and stories are told around the hearths and fires. The defense had held. Yes for the first time in weeks the goblins and their monster beetles had been stopped short of breaching the town. And a leader has come forth, taken the guards in hand and made a steel guantlet of an open hand.

Whispers, nay, bold stories are bandied back and forth.

First the usual warnings of an impending attack but from the beginning it seemed different. Albryanna was seen in town talking to Rasuil and the men then moving down to the southern defenses to inspect things and as night came the first sounds of fighting could be heard. But this was different. The forward guard told of a heavy conflict outside the gates where the skies literaly rained acid and fire and lighting danced on the shells of giant beetles. And at the gates stood a familiar figure, refusing to be drawn out onto that field. Standing in the gates, back straight and sword drawn. And when the tides came she stood and rallied the defense.

Ah the tales. Back and forth the defenders fought but not in desperation but in coordinated movements. Every movement back was counterpointed by an assault from the catapults and archers on the hills. Every drive forward was sustained with steady intent. Nets were launched to entangle the attackers and then they were pounded with catapult fire and hails of arrows.

Rasuill could be seen moving about the hill tops, helping range the catapults and calling encouragement to the archers. Word is he has been personally giving instruction to these forces.

Scouts could be seen appearing to call information to the commander and the catapult crews, warning of larger forces, then disapearing into the night.

The White figure of Ralrydor was oft mentioned as he raged against the goblins and bettles flinging magic and sword about. Healing where and when he could but never idle.

At one point the bettles drove to the very top of the hill but the guard rallied to their commander's call and would not let them pass. And twas then that the tied turned. The call was for no more. And they advanced one step at a time behind their leader. No more ground was given. What came at them died and then one more bloody step. And so it was…one bloody step forward and none back. The first gate was retaken, and then the second and finally at the southern gate the last of the attackers was put down. And then the silence. It was as if the night took a breath and held it, finally broken by the cheers from the soldiers and then the town. Victory!!! Norwick!! Albryanna!!!

But One name overshadowed all, was mixed into every tale. Albryanna.

• Once again, goblins and their huge beetles attacked Norwick and penetrated the defenses to reach the center of town. All were slain eventually, but several guards lost their lives. General Theaon of the Legion and Private Silver led the defenders, who also were joined by an elven scout and the red-haired cleric of Mystra. That one exhibited some really strange behavior. She kept running around while huge stag beetles chased her, and then stopping to cast Cure Disease spells on two huge bugs. All that did was enrage the bugs further. It also seemed to disturb the cleric a lot.

Login: AubreyMaturin

Characters: Romulus Grey, Bard the bowman
    Trotter, Spooky halfling ranger
    Shesarai Foutopolis, Red-haired cleric of Mystra

• _The natives of the Rawlinswood are restless of late, the beetles success perhaps stirring the lust for battle and experimentation in tribes beyond their own realm. From the south, several waves of goblins arrive with the odd bugbear thrown into the mix, some monsterously oversized. And all the while, the goblin borderlands and beyond continue to teem with chittering beetles and howling goblin cries…

The most recent attack by the chitinous foe sees a mass of beetles pushing past the defenders into Norwick itself, eagerly spurred on by their goblin handlers. The temple of Chauntea suffers heavy damage as giant stag beetles ram into the building repeatedly, though Yllalyn and her staff manage to avoid casualties within._

• One morning Brumir Silverhammer comes out from the Dwarven Hold rubbing his head. He notices some of the townsfolk are giving him strange looks, as if they are surprised to see him.

"Oy wut da fark ye all lookin' at me like ah'm dead fer?"

After a brief conversation with some of the townsfolk, Brumir looks stunned.

"Wut!? Ye sayin' Gralin's Mum came by an' abducted me! HAR! Dat be horse shite! Iffn' Gralin's Mum took me ah'd nay be here, trust me. But ah must admit, ah have a huge farkin' hangover an' da last thing ah remember were wakin' up at da Tuck-Me-Inn."

Brumir then tugs his beard

"In fact, most o da last month is a blur ta me."

Brumir then walks by the Norwick Fairgrounds

"Oy, why da fark dere be hin guts everywhere?"

• Council of Moradin

To: General Theaon,

General, I wish to report very strange happenings in the Rawlingswood Northeast Far. While doing a routine patrol though these forests, I did not see one Hobgoblin or Umberhulk. I thoroughly investigated the area, and detected no signs of a battle having taken place. I thought it very curious.

However, on 2 subsequent patrols, at the appointed patrol times, I encountered the same mysterious happening, of no Hobgoblins or Umberhulk. I am won't to understand this or what is or has occurred. The only other significant item that was noticed, was deep and constant sounds of thunder rumbling, however, no lightning was seen.

I submit this report, for your learned consideration, and recommend that the legion take note, and perhaps investigate further, perhaps into some of the caves in the area.

Humbly submitted,

Private Silver Chalice, Paladin of Torm

• Often times Artemis follows a short distance behind the seasoned ranger during his scouting jaunts, keeping invisible but always ready to give them a hasty return to town should trouble rear its head.

• Despite waves of greens and vermin already defeated in the latest strikes, Rasuil soon reports dozens of massive bugs and hordes of greens already at the ready for further attacks, further increasing the tension by noting a fiendish presence within their ranks.

While he holds no proper authority to do such, he urges the militia to "use it or lose it", directing the gates guard to be doubled and every available archer to be positioned along the southern cliffs.

Murmuring to no one in particular as he makes his way south once more, the old wolf doesn't seem to be holding his breath for any such action to be taken.

"This is Ostromog all o'er again, except this lot ain't gonna be interested in prisoners.. farkin' people ne'er listen, till it's too late."

• _Another brutal attack by the beetles saw a small group of adventurers run ragged and bloodied, desperately trying to stop the crawly horror from entering Norwick. The still broken gates and lack of any sort of barricades proved fatal as a number of the bugs tore past the defenders and headed straight for the refugee camp. Casualties were unavoidable and the mood somber afterwards, though it is said the adventurers rallied a violent counter-strike which dwindled the numbers of bugs still massing in the woods to some extent.

In some of the more colourful rumours surrounding the counter-strike, a large and muscular Slaad is said to have fought on the adventurers side, as well as a green dragon. Though perhaps these tall tales are just a result of post-battle ale consumtion, much like the even less believable story of a giant dwarf-snatching monstrosity demanding tribute on "Mother's Day"._

• _During a rainy night, Maythor invited General Theaon Thorn and the hins at the refugee camps into the Union Hall to stay warm. The next morning a small fire broke out near the Union Hall entrance. The Union merchant, Orn, looked very upset and demanded the Legion hin known as Marty pay for the damages. General Theaon stepped in between them and things seemed to settle down. The other hin eventually moved back to the refugee camps on the Fairgrounds.

After the commotion dies down, word spreads that Marty accidentally started the fire trying to stop another small beetle that got into the Union Hall. Could the goblins be using these small beetles as spies? How many more could be in Norwick or the Silver Valley?_

• The dwarf does not deny the events, but he does decline any accusations of assault. The dwarven barbarian claims he was robbed by the wench, and was investigating the matter with the General's support.

• Rumor is that poor girl Devvy, sometimes seen working as a waitress at the inn, has been assaulted by a legionaire dwarf and the right-sized general. She can be found in the inn, telling drunk farmers and guards about it, some of who later accompany her to private rooms upstairs…

• _It is said that shortly after the fiery dragon crash-landed, there were some strange sightings. A couple of penguins, one which seemed about five times the size of the other, a were-cat, two huge green hands clapping right out of the gate, that instead of sounding like clapping hands, sounded more like two boars head-butting each other…

Whoever spread those rumours must have surely been drunk..._

• _As if the beetles weren't enough, rumour now has it that a group of drunken, belligerent bugbears decided to try their luck with an attack on Norwick. The loud warparty was spotted by a Norwick scout however, and the attack so successfully repelled that even the gates survived…

A different, perhaps merely speculative rumour may mention sightings of a swirling, brightly lit dragon-shape in the sky at night, descending on the south gate. No casualties are reported, however, nor is there any signs of dragonfire around. Weird..._

• A massive two-prong attack on Norwick and the Silver Valley was launched by the goblin-beetle masses, seeing numerous guards lives lost in both settlements. A sizeable group of hard-pressed adventurers worked tirelessly to repel the crawling masses of invaders, eventually pushing them back into the woods or smashing them onto the blood-soaked ground. Danger over, but for how long?

• An attack by huge bugs and goblins at South Gate was foiled by the Norwick Militia guards with the help of adventurers Nica, Silver, and Shesarai. While the guards continued to hold the gate, the adventurers rushed off to Silver Valley after hearing sounds of explosions there. They returned somewhat later with sad tales of more suffering in the hin community.

The adventurers rushed off to the south when sounds of explosions came from the Witch's Tower near the lake. Much later, a small group came trudging back, covered in blood and mud. They included the mages Maria and Salin, in addition to Nica and Shesarai. Unfortunately, the group were bearing the bodies of two fallen Legionaires: General Theaon Thorn and Private Silver Chalice. They were restored to life at the Temple of Chantea, but told a tale of extremely bitter fighting near the Goblin Hold against several dozen huge beetles and even more goblins. Despite their losses, the group claimed that the bugs and goblins got the worst of it, and they hoped that their sacrifice would spare Silver Valley from more attacks, at least for now.

Login: AubreyMaturin

Characters: Romulus Grey, Bard the bowman
    Trotter, Spooky halfling ranger
    Shesarai Foutopolis, Red-haired cleric of Mystra

• While the slippery Wolf's unorthodox and unquestionably foolhardy methods may have granted new insight into the current goblin situation, they've also earned him a few days 'vacation'. Last seen carried unconscious into the Temple of Chauntea after days of near continuous fighting in defense of the Valley, Norwick and on the offensive in the south, the aging ranger takes the down time in stride spending an extra day within the Temple for observation before finally emerging to carry on about his business.

Meanwhile, with certain rumors floating about, the more easily riled and impressionable citizens may contemplate the tough decision between pitchfork or torch.

• Legion

@a0e505e534=Araighn:

Grobble can later be seen getting launched out of the Dwarven Hold

"Har! Beat me own record!"

picks himself up and dusts himself off

I think that you are almost true! It depends on where you measure from … where my head lands or where my other body parts land. But POWERFUL that throw was!

mutters to himself Ugh …. moderate amount of pain do I feel.

• Grobble can later be seen getting launched out of the Dwarven Hold

"Har! Beat me own record!"