The Long Walk, a Black Lion's Tale.

• _These past days, have been a whirlwind. Not like the graceful sort of Yana's fists, or Shallyah throwing both herself into her axe into the are into a spinning Maelstrom of grace and death.

No, it's more like MY kind of whirlwind. Everything's just going full speed, no holding back, and if it hits something, it goes THROUGH and into the next thing, and if it makes it through -that- one, then the one after IT gets some too. I'm working to become stronger still, to make the best use of this skill of mine, which lead me to two things.

One … a childhood dream.

Ever since the caravan days, the Long Walk that I took from my Illuskan Black Lion tribe, I had a dream. My tribe was one of the few who didn't reject our old ways, and stayed on the move, in the wilds, rather than become our own version of 'city people'. I was exiled for failing my test of manhood, but perhaps only because the Lion's paws led me to Narfell, which may have been the plan all along? I never doubt the wisdom of the Lion, for he has SHOWN himself to me many times ... and in times like this, where decisions lay heavy on my head, I wonder if that old bugbear seer Cravagh is still around, and still watching my fate. If he is, I wonder what he'd say, as I said, "I accept" to Lady Shae.

I have always wanted to be a knight. Being a lowborn barbarian, I knew it was always unlikely, but this is a land of heroes, of destinies. There are possibilities of befriending dragons, meeting men who travel the planes, and recruit from each of the places they go to, and powers of every shape, size, and color effect to be slung about by people with more magic in them than my huge self has blood.
    Now, I have a chance. I'm sure there are those who will argue that not coming from a king it cannot be a 'true' knighthood, whatever that's supposed to mean. I hope that the group gains legitimacy, and succeeds in its mission and cause ... but I also hope that -I- gain more legitimacy, and perhaps one day, realize one of my dreams. That brings me to the second thing ...

Opposition. The Adventuring group that I went on a trip with into the giantspires was large, and somewhat powerful ... but it had a few things wrong with it. One, some of the people there had NO Business facing such foes as giants and, let's be honest, Ogres, which are far worse. Better equipped, large numbers, better trained, the whole deal. I saved three lives, that trip, purely by virtue of listening for the death scream of someone mortally wounded that didn't sound ogreish ... and having damned healing balms on me. And lots of other healing potions, too, which I kept having to give out, highlighting the next thing wrong. Preparation!

So many of the folks who went on a trip that everyone described as dangerous, didn't even bring potions. OR they claimed not to have brought them, and were just quicker to use someone else's hard earned coin rather than their own.

Don't get me wrong, I get the allure of adventure, and desire to test one's strength, to see new places. I really, truly, do. The problem is when that's not tapered with a little common farkin sense. Come on, this is coming from the backwoods glacier born barbarian, people! I wanted to be a knight, so I learned to read. I wanted to be a knight, so I learned the greatsword instead of the axe. I wanted to be a knight, so I wear steel instead of leather. And I wanted to be a knight, so I became a SOLDIER first!

I like to think that gives me a little credibility in knowing my limits, being able to call out tactical decisions, and know when one can take or avoid risks ... but on an adventure like this, each person apparently knows best. We fought more ogres than we had to, got dispelled, pummeled, axed, and harried all the way to this 'lava cave' that I'd never seen before ... and then of course, the ill prepared to be there, wanted to go back right away. "We saw it, let's go!"

Apparently, I'm just going to have to bring Albryanna, some potions, a mage to counterspell all the damned dispels, and perhaps one more, a scout, and go back to go all the way this time. My ring lets me resist the stifling heat of that place, so the only thing holding me back from learning more, experiencing a new environs to fight in, was unprepared people.

And being bitched at the whole way there and back? That got old, fast. I have to remember to ask Shae if that unpleasant woman is to be part of the Order, too. I had felt honored upon invitation at first, especially since she'd apparently heard of me before hand, but now I'm wondering if she was as judicious with her picking as it seemed.

The rude woman said something about being honored to fight alongside people who knew the blade well as I was leaving, but I did not trust myself to say anything other than a generic 'likewise', and leave before I told her how I was actually feeling about her running commentary.

Next time I go someplace like that, if unknown entities are joining up, I'm dropping out, and taking whoever's with me, with me. There was nearly several losses of life, all preventable by them being people who can survive more than one of two throwing axe wounds, or people who know to get in the way of the ogre chasing the scout, rather than chasing the scout themselves, and keeping the ogre on said scout's tail.

By the LION I was frustrated. Lion grant me patience, Lion grant me peace. I'll save my rage, my boiling blood, for the real enemies.

I'll try anyway. I hope that they don't get it in their heads to try me further.

Kind of._

• _Well, dusting this thing off out of my locker …

Today, I was a snack for a vampire. In front of half a dozen people, not all of whom were on board to help, since I shittalked the vamp, knowing what she was pretty quickly.

Apparently to some, the enemy of your enemy is your ally, if not your friend... and they took the 'threat' of Quentin popping back up again, and Bodaks with him, to be worth the risk of playing a vampire's game of questionable ally.

If we beat their opponent, we take a threat away from them, and us ... but they don't KNOW this other threat. They don't actually have proof that it's truth, though it may well be, but completely discounted the fact that they're dealing with a creature that sees us as playthings, and lesser than.

They only stopped to consider my point of view after I explained by stance, being that vampires have been my foe for a very long time, especially since one cut my fiancee, Ashena, in half with the very sword I now carry, Watcher. I was annoyed, and perhaps spoke too harshly, prompting one of them to comment about how she wanted out of the way before I settle the argument with my huge sword.

I doubt they were around in the days when Norwick had a bit of a Tyrant for a leader, and the guards were thugs and drunk on power. Does that reputation still linger, despite the work I've done to change it?

I was struck by a glowing hand spell, held in place with a hold spell, and then feasted on not once or twice, but thrice. Janick, the Lathanderite priest, stated that by all rights I should have been dead. And he's right. She was powerful, and vicious. I have her name now, though, and Maria's placed a 20,000 gold bounty for her dead. 5000 from Norwick for any vamp killed helps that.

I'd love to collect it myself, but I'll need a hell of a lot better preparation for the likes of her. I need to find out the cost of Silver fullplate with all the undead I face, but that cost is daunting. Maybe if I get the bounty, it can be a reality ... but my hopes are low indeed, for now.

Bit by Amelia Magnus. Part of Liderc's crew. All afraid of fire, like Liderc.

I'll need to report that finding to Hannibal properly. At the very least, I met a vampire hunter, Yulia, and made sure to tell Hannibal to make her quite welcome, and to keep folk out of her way. If she lives up to her reputation, we'll need her. I know I need the help, especially with people questioning the trustworthiness of the likes of vampires.

That's scary enough as it is. How do I fix that without alienating people?

I need to rest, this is too much for now. At least I made a new friend, in Basilah. Perhaps in time she'll help with the vampires, being a priestess. For now, I'll help her train and learn the land, and see how she does.

Time to go write reports. I'm already ink-stained, dammit. I need to practice this more._

• _Will wonders never cease?

You know when you're in the right place, at the right time, with just the right thing in your pocket? Sometimes, I do. Sometimes, it means the different between life and death, and not just for myself, either.

I met up with Dondiah, and she was worried. She hadn't seen her wolf friend in quite some time, and wanted to find him, so I suggested that we check the Druid glen. Ronan was helpful, but uncovered something odd about the little furry friend we knew, and was unable to call or locate him. Strange, but I had a backup.

I called on the Lion, sacrificed a meal and some blood, and asked for help. I relayed our wishes, and we waited, while the offering burnt deliciously.

Time passed, rain started, and silence was all around, until it was broken by panting nearby. It had worked! Dondiah was beside herself with joy, and we were officially on a search-quest!

We traveled past town, through the pass, and then … toward Jiyyd.

"Awwww shit" was all I could think, but I checked my well stocked pack, and nodded. Whatever came, I was just about as ready as I could be. We set out, and were immediately swarmed by winged horrors, the hard to hit little bastards.

We fought them for what seemed like, and very well may have been hours. Dondiah never showed signs of tiring, nor did her companion, so I couldn't either! I kept going, almost falling into a routine... when it appeared.

A Hezrou.

It stood by, amused, and watched, and then shouted at us, as if mocking us, before charging in. I turned, ignoring the flapping idiots that could barely scratch me when they did manage to flail close enough in my general direction ... and struck out at our new foe, shouting to the Lion to preserve me.

With Ashena by my side, such a thing is not scary, provided I have some mind protection and healing handy... but to take the time with foes all around to do these things would prove difficult.

No sooner did I land a tiny little cut in it's hide, worrying me immediately, than it crushed my pauldron side, and nearly batted me to the ground. That gave me a fine cut underneath it's clawed arm, which DID hurt it plenty, but still. I was clearly going to have my work cut out for me.

Pack... pack... what's in my pack?

As I fought, I let my training and reflexes take over, while my mind scoured my belt, pouches, and pack. What would help me most? AHA!

I downed a HEAL potion after nearly getting broken in half by missing a block, taking a full powered hit from the beast, but to my credit, it looked surprised to see me still standing!

I took that moment to chug a Greater Stoneskin potion, the ROARED in it's face, taking adventage of the free protection, and dropping my guard to attack it full force. It staggered under the assault, and could only land paltry blows on me, the stoneskin bouncing it's claws away with no more than a minor irritation.

It backed up, then, but I followed, wings still beating around my head as Dondiah ducked her previous foes, and joined in against the big one, shrugging off the blows it dealt her as it turned to try and take out the less stony target. That, was a mistake. Distracted, it suddenly made for a very easy target, and I laid into it, cleaving through it's arm at the shoulder, into it's next, and right through a very surprised horror-critter in the wrong place at the wrong time!

We laughed as we cut down the last few, and walked past Jiyyd toward Ormpur with our confidence intact.

I'll finish this later, I think. I have a whole pack of ales with my name on them, as a reward to myself! I can't wait to tell Ashena!_

• _Time passes, yet some things remain the same.

I'm still with Ashena, though we've yet to marry. Duty, and two cities, are complicating things. I wonder what her parents are thinking!

I still go out and adventure, and that's what led me to the orc caves within the snow-covered giantspires. It was quite the group we had, too. Moon, myself, Raryldor, Troff, Sirion, and others, all along to go kick some orcish arse. Winterwolves swarmed us, orcs charged us, yet we cut through pretty much everything with very little trouble, despite not finding what we sought.

Giants.

There had been reports of them lurking in the aptly named giantspires, and apparently others found battle with them at least once. I was looking forward to the chance to see them myself, but it did not come. Instead, we ended up in thei lair of an orc named Grishnak Elfslayer, whose orcs ended up proving his name apt, as Troff fell in the ensuing chaos.

It wasn't Grishnak's doing, though.

Mages. Waves of fire raining down on us, bolts finding their marks unerringly, one after the other, after the other, they fell. Sirion nearly fell as well, but was picked up in time to continue the fight. I was held in webs, thankfully close enough to hit a Shaman with a seven foot sword, though, before he could get off any crushing spells.

It was a tough fight, and fun at first, but not worth the cost.

I'll have to make sure future parties have someone like Hen who can pick out casters and the like from groups, and help us form a strategy.

For now, I suppose I'll resume walking the pass with folks, keeping the damned dogfaces at bay, and collecting Gold to get something enchanted.

Soon._

• _Today … I was eaten by a Dragon.

No, seriously!

You don't believe me, do you?

Hell, I hardly believe me, so I cannot blame you.

You can, however, ask Allestor or some others who were there. Or the dragon himself. Or you can believe me, since you're reading this. I suppose I should explain.

There is a gigantic Silver Dragon in the ODS chambers, in one of their training halls. We've met before, too. He calls me "Not so little Lion-knight" on occasion, like today, when he greeted me. We brought him snacks, I shared my peach wine with him, and we all bantered a bit, which he seemed to appreciate. There's a big battle coming, after all.

Ashena had to leave eventually, to which the Dragon replied, "Sleep well. Your Lion and I will have fun and roar at each other while you're away. So, roar we did. Except... at one point he did something to strike his head on the ceiling... and then it landed on ME. It wasn't the full weight of even just his head, I think, but it took all of my strength to keep from breaking something, but I laughed, and then roared at him, beating his first roar in impressiveness.

I was pinned to the wall with his head... when he opened his jaws, and then everything was dark.

Do you know how unnerving a chuckle is from INSIDE a mouth?

I eventually got spat out. Down the Hall. Into the main Room. And into someone's throne-chair. Preeeetty sure I chipped it. Hope it wasn't Shannon's...

We said our goodbyes later, and a good time was had. I wish Ashena was able to stay for the whole get together, but alas, duty does indeed call.

In the past week, I've traveled days deep into the Underdark, got the killing blow on something Maria referred to as a "Doom Knight," and got a HUGE Tome from Shallyah about demons, which has made for great reading.

Now, back to fixing my finances so I'm ready for a trip to Jiyyd in a tenday._

• _Damn. Damn damn damn. I can't think of another word to describe how I feel without scrawling Illuskan profanity all over this innocent book. Some rat-bastard(s?) attacked the Kelemvorite shrine with this gigantic wight, and by the time we all got there, there were smaller wights in Kelemvorite armors all around it.

They fell as did their creator, but a moment later, and Shallyah and I rushed it headlong, and it lasted an entire few seconds before being Shredded before the might of Shallyah, and the magicks aiding us. I swear that woman shares her soul with her axe. I admit to some amount of envy…

On a brighter note, things are well, elsewhere. I stood guard at the shrine while Thander tended to his charges, and even then among the blood of the slain in the green and now red grass, the occasional happy thought crossed my mind. Ashena, as always, was in the forefront.

At this point, I'm considering eloping with her, I think is the term. Her family would be mad, however, and I know how much the mean to her.

Elections first. Then, perhaps, a wedding?

First things first.

I need that meeting with Voss.
    I need to undertake my quest for the Lion.
    I need to be strong enough to face the things that she does, without becoming unmanned. The Lion's Heart, and his Roar, must be mine.

I think I wrote those in a mixed up order, but I have tasks, goals, and dreams. It is a dishonor to my fathers and the Lion to sit idly.

Wherever I go, there I am. I need to make sure that is somewhere that gets me where I'm -going-._

• _I have decided, that there is nothing more creepy than standing around with the one you love, and having her suddenly say, "We're not alone. We're being watched."

Ashena and I were greeted by someone who claimed to be a messenger of sorts, but only gave the name, "Believer." A female figure, but helmed, I figure I had at least heard of similar before, but could not remember where. That was unimportant for the moment, however, as Ashena whispered in response to my question, that this Believer did indeed possess a dark heart.

We listened, and found that Father Dagon, and priest in Oscura who stays near the freed slaves, had managed to find a freed slave with the mark of a six fingered hand upon them, which was apparently sign of a demonic influence?

I may have botched that up, and will research it later. I forgot to look at the actual body of the person to see if they were suddenly six fingered.

At any rate, Dagon was able to seal them in a magic circle, which would keep the person and demon from leaving said circle… but if he tried to remove the demon, it would manifest here, and have to be disposed of, which he was not up to the task of doing himself.

We could not help but volunteer, so we met with him. He had not actually sent for, or asked for help, and was a little surprised to hear that this "Believer" had sent for us, and even gave us a warning to be wary of her, as she may be a "Sister of the Bones." Still not much I know about them, other than that they protect Oscura. Not necessarily those in it, or her interests, but Oscura herself, if I heard that right. They aren't even particularly interested in the people, except ... it seems ... when it comes to demons.

At any rate, Ashena and I prepared. Torm blessed my blade, and I dipped into my emergency potions kit, barkskinning, stoneskinning, becoming resistant to spells and negative energy, and even using a greater bull's potion, as well as a potion of clarity, to keep from being befuddled by magicks.

Dagon uttered something in a tongue I have heard Val speak before... and there before us, was a Hezrou. I recognized it, because I'm seem them fought before, and it was no laughing matter. Regardless, Ashena and I drove forward, her with a cry of Torm's name on her lips, and I with the Lion's name, and a senseless roar, hoping to steel myself enough to battle this horrid thing of the darker planes.

My blade bit true, but it's focus was on Ashena alone. I struck again, bleeding it, and again the same, it seemed I could not miss, but still it kept on her, getting frustrated that she was hard to hit, and protected by her shield and her God. Then the magicks flew.

The earth exploded in my ears, and I was nearly stunned, before my protections held. I felt like I was in a bubble that got squeezed... but not popped. My eyes went blurry, but focused on the demon again with a few shaky steps forward, and then I had my feet again. I pressed the charge, and could barely see Ashena's clouded form beside me, too.

Still, the demon pressed her, and she staggered aside for a moment, ceasing her attack for a breather? A Spell? I could not tell yet, but the demon turned it's back on me. Now, I was mad. I yelled at it, and taunted it with some filthy jibe about it's parentage, and finally, it turned.

I got a face full of claw for my trouble, but only stone chips flew, and I had to grin. Ashena cast a spell to the side, I could hear her just barely, and I had it's attention. She got to return to it, and hack away at it's side, while I took several hits, and blocked a few swipes, all of my protections holding fast.

Finally, it looked weak, viscous fluid running down it's body, and a single test of it's barrier, to find that it could not flee, distracted it at a very inopportune time, and Ashena's shout pierced the cavern. There was a flash, and a sound like stone being rent, even I had to step back and gawk for a moment. So THAT'S what a smiting looks like...

The creature reeled, and turned to me, then her, and chose her as the bigger threat once more, allowing me the final cut as Ashena's blade bit again and again, this once foul blade severing something important with a sound like a tree snapping in a strong wind, and the creature fell limp and smoking to the ground.

Much speaking about what I already mentioned was done after, with Oscurans returning to their usual places as if nothing had ever happened, only a few looking at the fallen monster and paling considerably.

The rest of the day was short for me, as I had to return to Norwick and shuffle around some more paperwork so I could find any other references to these blistered goblins, but I did stop in at a place called "Dark Hammers" and got my shield coated with a nice sheet of something to make it match my armor better. Only 100 gold, too. Not a bad deal at all, really.

Now, to go find Ashena, and see how she's holding up._

• _Another day, another walk to the gates, to see what's come knocking, and who's around to see it. I had just finished walking the pass, mostly due to talk of bandits and mercenaries and surprises and such, and I was pretty exhausted. I really should have expected that I would need some sleep, but I didn't foresee falling asleep at the south fire.

The crackling of fire woke me.

It was different, this fire.

No pot bubbled. No conversation murmured around it, nor did the grass whisper from the wind passing through it, bringing the sounds of badgers grumbling, and the other usual woodsy sounds. No, it was strangely silent, like a fire in a closed room, the only thing there. It was plenty to make me open my eyes…

"Welcome, Cecil of the Lion." Cra-Vagh was there, and he greeted me with an upraised clawed monster-hand. Even in dreams, he was a bugbear, down to the fingernails. I told him, "Well Met" as usual, and he stared into the flames, asking me a loaded question.

"You are seeking something, are you not?"

I told him that I was always seeking something, which bade him ask if it was important to me. Of course it was, naturally. Terribly so, in fact. I was stricken with concern that an awful lot also hinged on my ability to find it. Saying so made him nod, and toss some dust onto the fire, making it flare up brighter than before, the flames turning a vivid green color.

"Tell me of it, " he bade me. "None other will know what you say here."

I really had ought to get Maria or someone to ward this journal, to make sure it stays that way, since I am now in the habit or writing things down, since it helps clear the mind if I find myself stuck. Anyway, I did indeed explain, starting with that I seek the Lion's will.

"I've been shown a great many things, and let to a great many places. The most important of these is Norwick, which my mind and even some friends tell me is a lost cause, but my heart and sense of duty know better. The problem with that ... is actually something that you mentioned.

Vipers is a good term for them. I have long suspected now and again, that agents within our town work against us, but I'm not mage capable of scrying, nor am I even particularly tricky, so finding them through their own slip ups has not yet worked. "

He broke his silence to say, "We all have vipers. At every turn, and under every stone."

My thoughts on that were succinct. "It should not be so."

"Yours are well hidden, and bringing them to the light will be very, very hard. And you are right, it should not be so, and yet it is ... part of the duality of this life. "

"I seek the wisdom to find them, or at least prevent them from doing any more harm, and the strength to do exactly that, to bring them to light, and give Norwick a chance. "

Cra'Vagh looked up to me, then, through the flames, and spoke with a little more purpose.

"A stupid enemy is a blessing to the Lion, for they run full into his claws without thinking. But a smart enemy, the only way to draw them out is to make them think you are no thereat."

I was disappointed then. I was fairly certain that I had already ruined that approach.

"You have a Raumviri in your town... Chief Voss he is called in this life. He could very well be your strongest ally in all this, especially if he believes himself your master. "

I was actually kind of shocked. He wasn't one of the vipers? I asked if that had actually been foreseen, being far too curious, and at least a little skeptical.

"Yes, I have seen this. In him, there is no duplicity, a great blessing. If you cannot make yourself appear to be no threat, then take the one they already believe they control, and work through him."

I figured that was Voss, if he wasn't the viper, than he was unwittingly guarding the nest, and was given the affirmative, while more dust was thrown into the fire, this time making it burn a vivid purple, as the bugbear muttered something quietly under his breath.

"Give him the power he seeks... and guide him. He is ambitious, but not too bright. The power -behind- the throne, rules the land. "

I was a little slow on the uptake, but it was really all starting to make sense. "So, offer myself in service, and give him my ideas to be his own? "

I got a sagely nod for my trouble, and laughed.

"I have been being a little bit too headstrong, heh. "

The bugbear had the grace not to laugh at me, and merely spoke again, giving some more advice while I stood there feeling, and probably looking more then a little sheepish.

"Prove to him your worth, and then humble yourself before him. This will give him much honor with his people, and strengthen his position. It will also protect You. If one of your plans goes badly, he will pay for it, not you. If it goes well, he takes the credit and frows stronger, offsetting your enemies. Eventually, they may approach you to plot against him, thinking you for an ally. Let the vipers think you are no threat, and they can come out to feast. Then ... the Lion bares his claws. The bugbear showed his teeth, then, in a smile. Does this make sense to you, Cecil of the Lion?"

"I can, and will take this course of action. It does make sense, though I suspect that it will make a great deal more when the time actually comes, in each of these things. "

Another nod brought a warning. "It is not an easy path, and it is not without risk. Nor will it be a fast resolution. But to try and face Voss and the other two head on will not work, unless you wish to divide the town in battle. "

I shook my head, not even considering the idea any longer, for even a moment. "This town has seen more than enough suffering. I will not do the work of my enemies for them. "

"Then you have two choices. Either humble yourself and work the slow path, or walk away at let the vipers breed. "

That was a crossroads. This may be a dream, but I know a true seeing when I see one, and we were meeting elsewhere, but it was as real as life. I didn't, however, control this, so I had to ask. I had to know. He did advise caution, did he not?

"Allow me a moment in this dream" I bade, letting my suspicion out to be tested. "and please take no disrespect, to verify that yours are words that I should indeed be trusting. " I was granted that, and told that he had nothing to conceal, so I continued. "I need to double-check every action, if this is to be my path. "

I took my axe then, all of my belongings as they were in real life, and carved a Lion into the turf around me, which parted as in life, while the bugbear chanted into the fire, making strange shapes appear in the flames. I kept my attention, and spoke in the language of my home, beseeching my patron to guide me.

[Illuskan] "I seek a sign, great one. Just one, a small one, to be certain that this one does not lead me from your path. "

The sign I got was not a small one, but -The- one, as a Lion appeared, washing the area in that familiar feeling that lets me know that He is near. He then lay peacefully beside the Bugbear, rumbling a peaceful purr as the Bugbear ran a clawed hand through it's fur.

"I would apologize for doubting you, seer, friend, but you know why I do what I do. "

He grinned a grin full of tusks, teeth, and … well, amusement.

"I do. You may come touch him too, of course. If you wish. He and I meet here often, the seers of your tribe know him as I do. "

I walked up, and leaned against Him comfortably, feeling at peace for the first time in a long time once more, telling Cra'Vagh of a few times that the Lion and I have walked the mortal plane together.

Cra'Vagh's amusement was evident. "The Lion is indeed many things... but aloof he is not." I mentioned the great surprise to many of my companions that supported that with a laugh. "Do you have any other questions for me? I will answer them as I am able to. "

I did, and said so.

"I seek to perform a ritual, though I know not which form it should take."

"The binding of charms, or the calling of spirits, or the search for insight?"

"Actually, the strengthening of self, through any of these means. My path takes me into the teeth of mortal, physical danger often. Also, far too often, into the face of magicks, most notably, the type that strike fear. " I was embarrassed at the admission. Fear was not something an Illuskan warrior let slip. I admit that I'm not really completely past my previous failures, though I work on it... he noticed.

He noticed, and took out another small vial, a liquid this time, a drop of which hit the flames, and produced the image of the most unholy terror I could imagine. I looked on, held fast, and found myself on my back several feet away, hands up in front of my face, heart racing and now ... very red in the face.

"I see what you see, man of the Lion." he told me. It did little to calm me, and it took some time for me to gather my wits again, and still my blood. "You can defeat this foe, the foe of your own imagining. "

I shook my head a little, ashamed. " I have thus far has to rely on potions to even come close to being reliable in the face of such things, and even then, find myself in a corner at times, wondering how I got there, sweat soaked from fear. Is there another way?"

"I can gift you with the Lion's Roar, and his Heart. They may be called upon in times of need, but it is up to you to decide when that is. Each will be a sigil upon your soul, to add to the ones you have already uncovered. What is the time you felt most afraid in your life, man of the Lion? "

That one was east. "When I faced the test of my manhood, I was put to a Malar panther. Malar was given his chance too, to test me. Or he simply shoved his way in, I do not know. I defeated the panther, but in a moment of arrogance, I chose to clone in and finish it off, rather than finish the kill with my bow. When I awoke, I knew that I had failed. The elders were all around me, and their faces said it all before I ever needed to ask. I ... I faced a strange world ahead of me then, a life alone that left a cold claw of fear around my heart for the first time in truth, and has ever been a feeling to strike at me from fell magicks ever since. "

His next words sent my blood racing. "Then you will hunt the beast of Malar anew. Once you have defeated it, you will know the Lion's Roar, and the Lion's Heart. It will not be easy, but I believe you are ready for it. "

"Nothing worth doing is ever easy." I told him, having learned that one many times over. "I will face this bast gladly, this time without fear, and with arrogance in check. "

He nodded then, and continued. "You may choose your weapon ... but only one. Do not make the mistake that many do, of thinking literally. What is your greatest asset and weapon, Man of the Lion? Think long on it. "

I figured it could be my heart. The Lion knows it well, and is ever at my side. My allies know it, and risk life, limb and faith for me on it. I risk myself, knowing that I must follow it ... but the heart is a guide, not a weapon. The more I thought about it, the more it was clear. My heart had gained me the Lion -and- my companions.

"My companions are my asset, my weapon. They ever have been, and even you."

He grinned that monster-grin, and nodded. "You have learned much then. "

"Take your allies with you, for you will never be alone as long as you remain true to the Lion, and they will be your greatest weapon. And you still have time for another question."

"Three times now I have received a similar message. Twice recently, then once near the grove of dragons. Once from that were-boar seer, who told me something skin to me not yet being what I would become, something different. Then your original telling of me being known as "The Lion." I believe you've said this in at least two different fashions. Have those all been allusions to this trial? Preparations on this path? Are they all related, or do I think too abstractly?"

"They are words to put you on the path to your best future. What, is rage?" he asked, but continued on. "Rage is the beast. Unthinking, unknowing, ever thirsting for blood, ever seeking it's enemy. Rage is the beast of Malar, the beast that is part of your greatest fear. Can you face this fear, this pure rage, without a weapon in hand, and put your life and future in the hands of others? Can you humble yourself enough to become great?"

I didn't need to hesitate before speaking. "I can face this rage, or anything, without weapons, armor, or magical protections of my own, by relying on my allies. They are family and more to me, and an extension of myself. Their lives are my life, and they feel the same. Even when I have been powerless before, they have carries me with them. Should I ask it, or need it without asking, they will be at my side. "

"It is one thing to say that here, before the Lion and myself. It is another to do it in the heat of battle. Will you stand your ground even if it costs you your own life, or the life of your beloved? "

I answered yes without hesitation. We both know the risks, and I would do the same. "Should a sacrifice end up needing to be made, it shall, but not for lack of effort, or weak will. "

"If you can do this, if you can humble yourself before your greatest fear, then you will begin down the path that I see for you."

"I wish to seek, and travel this path, then."

He gestured at me, saying, "Dual natures are at work in you, Man of the Lion. You must master both, beginning with the nature of the warrior. You are a man of the woods and wild places, of the spirits of the wild and the power of nature, but you're also of the town, and the people of civilization. These two natures have ever been in conflict with each other. The warrior longs for open plains, for the enemy before him in plain sights, and a blade in hand. The city man longs for calm words and empty hands, for enemies with a simple nature, and a clear intent.

I understood these battles in my self, and said so. "I've had to work hard to learn the ways of the city man, but it has it's appeals."

"Both of these spirits are frustrated within you. Your enemy is hidden, his words are not clear, hands are full, yet the weapons are unseen. You must learn to use the tools of the city man in the wild, and the tools of the wild in the city. "

Now, I was confused. I mentioned how complicated it seemed.

"How does the Lion hunt?" he posed.

"Patience. Stalking. With the rest of his pride beside him, or behind."

Cra'Vagh interrupted with "If his foe is cunning, he leaves his pride behind ... in this case for you, literally."

"I er... meant a group of Lions being called a pride, actually."

Teeth and tusks, again. "Oh I know. Wordplay is a pasttime of mine, actually."

That sounded familiar! We both laughed, before he tossed another branch on the fire, and continued. "How does the city man succeed? "

"Well, the city man uses laws and words, binds his enemies with both ... and covers his ass with alibis and politics. "

"For the city man though, " he mentioned "the first thing he must do, is learn enemy from ally for they often appear the same. He will make himself appear as ally to them, when he is enemy."

"So... illusions and alliances then?"

I got a nod indicating that I was catching on.

"If you bring the tool they do not expect to a situation, then your enemy will not be able to bind you. No matter whether it is in the wild, or the city. "

I laughed, then. "I can relate to that. The last thing I like to see in any conflict... is a surprise."

"Mm, yes. Imagine a kitten with the powers of a mage, or a tree that springs to life when you have set an ambush for orcs. "

I shuddered, mentioning the experience I had once with possessed toys in Peltarch...

"Then you understand what I speak of."

"I do."

"Very good. I will see you once more, then, when you have met the beast of Malar. May the Lion watch over you."

"See you then, and may he be by your side as well, seer and ally. "

[Illuskan] "Be well, man of the Lion."

I bowed to my new teacher, friend, and ally, and awoke on the hill to the chatter of folks at the fire.

What a restful nap!_

• _Well, I think I have enough. I left when I was fifteen, and I have nineteen of them, so that should do nicely. Half that many bracelets to fasten them to, two each should do the trick. Time to invite the dreaming.

I have my metal bowls for the fires, and the things to throw in them. Belladonna, the dream-leaf, and the meat offerings for the Lion. I expect dreams, but from many sources now, so I'd best be prepared for any. I don't think Cra-Vagh needs any special way to reach me, so I'll concentrate on cleansing the goblin charms in the purifying dream smoke, ah, purifying, don't forget the forest sage.

One fire behind me, to cast my shadow forward.

One fire before me, so cast my shadow behind.

Me in the middle, that I might be exposed to both past and present, and hide from neither in the light of the fire, and the eyes on my ancestors, and the Lion himself.

I will light these, and sit vigil throughout the night, and let the dreams come. I've chosen the ridge by the south gate that overlooks the Rawlins as my spot, since most of my destiny has so far involved those forboding woods. I wonder how many spirits sit in those trees, and watch us mortals go about killing each other, and digging up the past._

The writing that follows looks a little shaky.

The dreaming seems to have worked, though I … cannot remember a thing yet. I feel like I drank all night. No matter, though. The charms smell of sage and bitter belladonna now, I suppose I can find out if it worked later. For now, I think I'll try to get some real sleep ... I feel really heavy. Next, I'll figure out which item I want to lay the enchantment on. I do have a few rings sitting about...

• _Today started out like any other day.

The gate was quiet, nobody was about, and there was nothing out of place. I like it that way. As much as fighting is a way of life, and often a joy to me, I'd rather the gate itself be boring. Most of the time, boring is safe, and I wish the townsfolk of home a very boring life.

Another day, another patrol. Enough of my patrols have seen improvements in goblin tactics, and gear alike, that I've been going out more often than usual, and ranging deeper into their lands, in search of answers. Thankfully, many more have aided me in my task, as well. This day, though, I searched alone.

I encountered no more than the usual token resistance going west, only one or two goblins out of each group came to face me, and I checked each one for their little symbols of what I can only assume represent valor, or some sort of status. Little goblin charms, that they seem to hold in high esteem.

Years ago I had an idea to have somebody enchant my "Horse-Cleaver," as Albryanna used to call it, with the charms as a , whatever mages call it, a focus, I think. Now, however, my needs are different. I have many fine weapons, and plenty of my own strength, but I could do better. I could BE better. An idea came to me, so I went in search of these too, while I worked on the more important mission of keeping the goblinkind in check, and traveling to their hold to see if they had posted guards again, or if anything else was perhaps making an ill-timed delivery of goods.

For a good long while, I was disappointed. Few offered battle rather than run, until an entire pack of their casters hit me with spells, while their bomb-throwers threw me a very explodey sort of party at the same time. There were no strong fighters to face, but the number of spells that hit me was staggering, and eventually started to weaken me enough that I needed to fall back to drink healing.

The braver pursued me. I was proud of their determination, and fought them, and gave them warriors deaths. Their caster friends soon joined them in that sense, and soon the area was quiet, save for the sounds that the freshly slain make on their way to whatever gods they expect, or do not expect, to see.

In the grove on the southern end opposite the hold, I gathered up the blood thew drew from me upon my hands, and marked the grass all around me, drawing a great Lion, to thank Him for the challenge, and my ability to best it, alone and unaided. Glory where it is due. It was his task that set me as a foe to goblin kind so many years ago, and so I remain. Especially in the interests of protecting Norwick as well, I have plenty of work to do.

Then, blindness.

No, just a bright light, and a feeling of satisfaction, that I had done well. The Lion is attentive, and today, more so than usual. I thanked him, and briefly lamented (IN my own mind, and not out loud) that I had found no more of the tokens that I sought in my personal quest to create something to strengthen myself, and then suddenly, several were before me.

He knows my thoughts without me speaking them, it seems. I was surprised, but by now, I shouldn't be. The Lion watches me closely, I dare not fail, or become lax in my duties.

I thanked him for the gift, and swore an oath on the blood of my fathers, and their fathers before them that runs through me, that I would pursue to task that it seemed he approved of, and complete it, through any challenges. I rose, and turned my attention to my original task first, the hold, and made to move toward it, when it overtook me.

There are times, when a man is possessed of a feeling of great power. Letting my rage bubble forth, letting my blood sing the dirge of those who will fall before me to match the lamentations of their women, that was how I felt, but without actually letting go my steadfast control! What better reason to let it sing, now!? I roared a challenge, and charged ahead, grinning like a savage fool, right toward the hold, expecting guards, or ill doings.

I found nothing there, but still, my thirst for battle was not slaked, so I ran further, to where the goblins usually group on a ledge, expecting battle, but none came… I turned, intending to run INTO the hold, when one of the great, big, fast, nasty bugbears ran toward me, axes in hand, and a grin on it's hideous face.

I screamed. He screamed. We clashed in a fury, and both struck home immediately. His blood flew as my blade bit down, that giant blade that struck down my beloved in the hands on a monster not terribly long ago. My blood... did not. His weapon struck again, harder ... but nothing happened, causing his eyes to widen in anger.

"WHY YOU NO DIE!?" it roared in my face, spittle speckling my helm, flecked with blood.

"I AM THE LION, AND YOUR DEATH!"

It had the good sense to almost laugh, as it yelled "Lion?"

Then something clicked. I don't know how or why, but it's expression changed as it said "LION! RUN!"

And he took off.

I have no mercy for a fleeing foe when my blood sings.

I chased him down, as he screamed to nobody else nearby to run, and was glad when he turned to make his last stand. Mercy or no mercy, I prefer to be facing my foe when I slay them. And slain he was, cut down, and then pinned to the earth with my sword, so hard that I had to put a foot on his chest to draw it out, but I was not done.

No, something still pulled at me. "MORE" I felt. I couldn't stop now, surely there was another for. Another way to strike the fear into those who would rally against us, who would plot to kill and pillage, who would eat of our flesh, and make soup of our bones.

I re-planted my sword in the earth, and picked up the fallen bugbear's weapon in one hand, and his corpse in the other, despite it's bulk, and placed him against the cliff wall, driving it's instrument of death through it, and into the stone.

It stuck.

Blood gushed forth, and served as a writing tool, as I placed the letters of warning near the body in an unmistakable and large fashion.

THE LION HUNTS.

It was as I reviewed my work that my blood quit rushing, I could hear clearly again, and my vision returned to a world less red, save for the letters, and clear.

Thus I heard the approach, and saw the face of my company, a bugbear with a staff, and a bestial helm. A caster, much feared for their nasty spells, and considerable skill.

I spoke first, unsure if I was still blessed from the battle, but ready to charge forth, and harry him with blows before he could cast, and until he ceased to draw even the most feeble of breaths, to ask:

"You. Can you read?"

It replied easily in the common tongue that it could so I bade it read with a gesture of my arm.

"Then you may live to spread the message. I am the Lion's will, and I protect Norwick with his might. "

The strange bugbear regarded me for a moment, before speaking calmly.

"I dreamt of you, man of Norwick, bearer of the Lion."

"I know well of dreams." I said, for I did. Many of my adventures, including the one that brought me to this land, started with dreams not of my own making. " What did you see, shaman of goblinkind?" I implored.

It spoke again, just as at ease as he was walking up. "I saw much, some of which is hidden from even me still, some which is not. You have allies to the North, and vipers in your nest. "

That make me ponder a moment. "That much is true, though vipers are hard to seek out. They hide under rocks, and only strike at the unwary. "

His furry brow creased. "You have choices to make. Hard choices. They will not be popular, for war never is, nor are decisions made in the dark to stop the darkness. You may also have allies in unexpected places, unseen and uncalled for. But that is up to you. "

I felt myself Frown deeply, concerned that the bugbear knows the truth of what I myself, have suspected for some time. Even now, I may not write it, for fear of discovery.

"I stand apart from this." he told me with a wave of his hand, Waves his hand All of this.

"Then you are not an enemy. Not in the usual sense. "

"It is my fate to say what is, and what may be. I will not attack you. It is not my fate. " he told me, and I think he smiled. It's hard to tell with all those damned teeth, really.

"Yours is a hard path to take, too." I told him. "Have you a name? "

"I am Cra'vagh, Seer of the Kin. "

"I am known as Cecil the Northman, to men. I know not what your kind call me, have they a name for me at all. "

"If you walk the path before you and do not stray, you will be known as Cecil, the Lion of the North. "

"You have been shown much then, Cra'Vagh, Seer. "

He inclined his head briefly, and adjusted his stance in parting. "If you wish to speak again, seek me in your dreams, for I can touch those, as I can the dreams of many. Such is my burden. Seek the Lion. "

"In dreams, then. " I said, bidding him farewell.

"Go in peace, man of the Lion. I will see you soon enough. "

"May the Lion watch you." I told him as he turned. I meant that, too. If he is an ally, then may the Lion stalk his shadow, and turn on those who hunt him. If he seeks to deceive, may the Lion also stalk his shadow, and turn it red, by my hand, or his own.

For now, though … it's time to address this project._

• Well, that was productive.

A copy of a report is jotted down here for safekeeping and sharing.

@b1186e9051:

_Update on the arming of the goblinkind.

A young woman near the south gate claimed to be a fortune seller of sorts, and made a comment worth looking into about that afternoon being dangerous to those in the woods.

Naturally, I went.

I took a few with me, and ended up with a few uninvited guests as well, though I had to tell the one called Varia to stay behind, since she had claimed to be cursed, rather like the Arthur fellow, who is a supreme mess, and has apparently been bedridden for months. Talk about demons and such solidified that I don't want either on a high risk patrol, as things would be dangerous enough as is. The priest Jason argued with me, toting his years of experience in military and life in general, but I find myself more and more disinclined to listen to him.

With good reason. His attachment to his pals leaves him open to very poor decision making. While that's his choice, it certainly won't affect me, or those I lead off into danger.

The goblin lands were quiet. I had gone west two days prior, down a level into the goblin hold too, before we lost Aoth to a fit of clausta, clautro… fear of small spaces. Like caves. She lived, and we found her eventually in fine health having escaped with a bit of difficulty, but found no evidence of well armed goblins, or stashes of gear.

This recent trip was different.

We encountered very skilled hobgoblins in heavy brass scale armor, and a few in plate. Unusual, the plate. Masterwork greataxes accounted for several of their armaments, and we ended up fighting some sort of leader of their group, whom I got to face off with, armed with my blade and spells laden upon me, and I beat him thoroughly, slaying him, and taking yet more gear and quality potions from the corpse.

Inside, there was a great deal more fighting (In the cave deeper in the woods, across from the Ostromines) and a heated, loud, argument could be heard. We broke up the party, slew a demonbinder and more powerful hobs, as well as some bugbears. There was even a sneak who cleverly waited til we had stopped fighting one group to take a stab at us, in the literal sense. It was rather unsuccessful.

Below is the list of loot we accquired, though none bore any particular hallmarks, save one armor that was colored black and grey, that nobody found any significance in the colors for.

I'm going to put the whip to our soldiers if I don't get some cooperation, we're not ready for an attack by powerful foes, and adventurers in Norwick are in short supply. D'Cameron and Davos need to make some time to clear things with me, or I'm going to just start taking charge, and let them ask questions later.

Too many out of shape, too many aren't veterans, and too many don't seem to have a specific functions. Thank the Gods I have my own volunteer scouts.

The list:

Two sets of plate. One colored black and grey
    Two heavy brass scale, but standard
    5 masterwork greataxes
    Two towershields

Gaxwell, owed 165_

• _Well.

I never thought I'd see the day.

In all the time that I've been around sorceries, plots, intrigues, plans, spells, tricksters, persons of ill repute, wild magic, hare-brained adventures, brushes with death, lost cities, dragons, bugbears, and bodaks (Oh my), I never thought I would see this.

Yesterday, there was two of me.

Yep. Two. That's what… 500 pounds of Cecil? It's been a long time since somebody put me on a grain scale for amusement, heh. Even the half-giant jokes have slacked off lately. I think folks are finally pretty much just used to me being... me. That was until yesterday.

Long story short, an old temporary ally of ours has the ability to change appearances, and lo and behold, he took my form when he let me know that we've been acquainted before. Right in front of everyone at the temple, too!

I can't resist writing this down at all though. Despite the grave tone regarding the plan itself, despite the seriousness of what we're about to go do, and despite the hot tempers and suspicion that boiled over while we tried to make plans, only -one- thing stands out above the rest in my mind about yesterday.

Reader, or whoever happens across this journal... you should have SEEN Ashena's face!

Yep. That'll be with me forever. Hah! Gods above she's adorable._

((If anybody wants to draw that, I'll love you forever! 😛 ))

• _As usual, so much has happened since I last wrote.

What I need, however, right now, is a response. Someone to come forth, and let me at least TRY to fix things.

I've heard it all before, and lately again, though with more dismissal. More finality.

"Norwick is lost. It's a lost cause. Nobody cares. I hate that place. It's not worth it. "

Well Gods be damned. I couldn't help being away for those years. The dreams came forward, the memories resurfaced, and the only thing I can think of, was that I was turned to stone, and randomly cured of it by a wandering adventurer, or even the bastards who did it to me, and left to return home, or do what I wished, as if someone's plans for me were up.

Now I'm home, and I've returned to a place very changed. The Raumviri are not a problem, though they make a lot of folk uncomfortable.

Davos is still there. D'Cameron is still there. I am here once more… but this time, nobody cares.

I put up flyers. I spread the word. I want to help. I want to fix things. Still... nothing. I may have to be creative in order to get people to even LOOK at Norwick again. Perhaps re-establishing the games?

A festival perhaps.

Would people be wary, their memories reminding them only of the horrific fate that befell so many at the last big event here in my town?

There's only one way to find out, but as much as I'll happily rush into a group of foes, dive in front of an attack meant for a friend, and even go DRAGON hunting... this has me feeling fear of a sort I'm not used to.

Am I wasting my time? If I am... what is there left for me elsewhere? Oh Lion, I need your guidance now more than ever._

• _I almost forgot about this thing again.

Sitting alone in the jailer's room to collect my thoughts actually seems to have worked, so I had may as well put them to paper while they're still in my thick head. My return has been… well, eventful. It's gone well though!

Things with Ashena are just as they were when I left, save a little tremor of nervousness I get whenever we part now. Things were odd for the first few days I was back though, but not with her. It was everybody else! It turns out (And I really shouldn't be surprised!) that I was well known to people I had never met, even based solely on my appearance.

"Hey, you're Cecil!"

"Oh, I know all about you!"

"I've heard so much!"

I fear I blushed a great deal the first week of my return but things are a little bit calmer now, more normal, and well... it feels like home again. It was strange, feeling like a stranger after not being gone that long, or at least... I don't feel like it was that long. And the not remembering is frustrating. Or it was.

There's a load of nonsense about some puppetmaster freak, and he's put quite a hurt on my friends, both from making them harm one another, even in the process of keeping him out of each other's heads, to making them doubt themselves, and worse, one another.

Shallyah and Talindra seem to have it the worst at the moment, Shallyah because she was compromised, and Talindra because of the rampant fear and distrust in the group, and it's unfailing ability to make things awkward, if not dangerous, constantly. I hope I've been the help to her that she says I have, though I'm sure she was honest. She -is- very honest, and I find myself feeling very protective of her, and not because she's one of Ashena's squires.

Allestor killed Fendon while I was away, and is quite the well known hero for it. I for one, am -very- pleased that he stayed around. I enjoyed his company, and fighting beside him, and on top of all that? Nobody teases -me- about bring a hero any more! It suits him, and therefore, me too! That kind of talk always did make me feel a little awkward, like people were putting me into shoes that were far too big.

Mending the damage done to Norwick's reputation is proving to be slow, but I feel that I -can- make a difference here, just like I did when I first joined the guard, and put a stop to a lot of the senseless dick-swinging brutality that the guard was known for. It's going to be harder now, mostly it seems, due to Davos running his mouth, and doing his best to piss off -everyone-. Sometimes I wonder whose side he's really on. You cannot trust a supposed carpenter who purposely puts cracks into a foundation.

Lady Rith loaned me a sword, which I quickly found myself not really being the right bearer for, which I passed on, having misunderstood her directions about -how-, but I hear that got resolved. It was definitely a loan, and I overstepped my bounds by entrusting it to someone, like a silly ass, without remembering her wishes, or consulting her first. Thankfully, she forgave me and seems to have cleared up my mistake. I hope to make it up to her and Andrew both, somehow.

Val is still here, and still very much Val. It's reassuring to say the least. Shallyah, however, has changed. For the better. She seems to have let go slightly, of the feeling that she is merely a tool, and instrument of her God and beliefs, and despite some of the hardship and confusion that has come with it, seems happier than I've ever seen her, at least until this puppetmaster business reared it's ugly head again. I WILL find a way to help her be free of this ridiculous burden that this puppetmaster fool has brought upon us all. In the meantime, I'll settle for just being there. For now.

Between Shallyah and Val, I was even able to get something very nice made for Ashena. I cannot WAIT to see her face! More than usual, even, which is saying quite a lot. I have more to make up to her than anyone, though she would never say it, if she has even thought it. Her family is also on my mind a lot. I have a lot of proving to do to them that I'm not going to disappear again... though for weeks I had no idea even HOW or WHY I vanished.

Last night's dream changed that.

Now I get to sit here alone in the almost-dark, and calm myself, so that I can think clearly on how to get those bastards back. I will probably have to ask Val to clarify something that I think I saw, and fill me in on the parts I just don't understand... but at least the headaches are gone.

Walter is still here, and stronger than I've ever seen him, and makes a hell of a compliment to the team, even more than before, especially beside Andrew and Allestor, which is no surprise. Dermin, too. Reynauld is often with them as well, and formidable too. I was lucky enough to duel several of them, and Shallyah in the same day, and managed to win each match, except against Shallyah. Then again, she won the fight without armor against all three of at once, too. No surprise there!

Before I fall asleep again, as I can already feel the darkness lulling me back into a slumber, I have to write down Ky's vague vision warning. A horde of demons is apparently going to end up in Norwick, and he was told to beware.

I MUST get this place ready, and more than that, be ready myself. We lost Norwick once when I wasn't available on the front lines (Not that I could have turned that tide, from all accounts), but this time, I MUST do more. First, fix relations with those than can aid us, so that they WANT to again, and next, get evacuation plans prepared, and get the Mostly Raumviri guard (Most of the old guard died or left after the taking of the town) prepared too, and in better standing in town. I've heard disturbing things about bullying and tyrant-like behavior, and I won't stand for it, even if I have to fight them myself.

May the Lion grant me wisdom, patience, and strength of mind in the times to come.

I'm going to need it._

• _Well, all things considered, not a bad start.

I mean yeah, there's the whole, "Where the hell have I been, and how the hell did I get home." question on my mind, and my poor timing at finding out that I arrived after Ashena had left for a short while, -and- finding out that I missed the entire period that the temporary treaty was in place, AND finding out that Davos somehow royally pissed off… well, everyone ever... but I can get past that.

I got my head checked by Galin. Or rather, my soul and ... whatever part of you magical stuff sits as far as compulsions or something goes, and I'm in the clear, which is almost completely a good thing.

I kind want to know who had me, and why, and perhaps why they let me go.

It's not terribly important, but I do want to know. Til then, I'll focus on trying to get rid of this monster of a headache. Ow. Write more in the morning._

• 5 years have passed since the journal was touched. Five years, and very few answers have come from it, even for Cecil himself. That, however, is a story for another day. For now, a certain Talindra has agreed to send a letter for him, so once more, quill touches page, and words take their written form, from heart, to hand, to paper.

_My dearest Ashena,

First, let me say what I've been feeling this whole time, and that which has never stopped for a moment. "I love you." That, if nothing else, has not wavered an instant this whole time. I have been held, but am returned, and whole still, and eagerly await your return home.

I miss you terribly, and will explain everything when I see you again, and pray that your family does not think he unfit for you now, as it has been an ordeal up to this point, and circumstances were beyond my control.

Every rose I pass reminds me of you. I will be waiting for you, as I hear you have waited for me.

Yours -always-,

Cecil Northman
    Your Lion._

• ~An excerpt~

Cecil sits seemingly alone in the tower, near Ormpur, collecting his thoughts. The Undead, Worgs, Pack Leaders, and hordes of rabid and diseased animals were a challenge for him one after the other, but his desire to treasure hunt, test himself, and to reach -this- place helped him overcome, and now, he rests.

The meeting of the Remnant and their allies went well, but the unexpected turn of events … well, he wasn't expecting to be interim Chancellor. It's just as well that someone who wasn't seeking the position has it, he figured, but still. There's enormous potential for failures of all sorts, from a height so lofty.

The meeting, however, brought him forward in his thoughts when it happened, and he was forced to lay some words down, words that he could not go back on, or forget. That's half the reason to say such things, really. Thinking them is fine and good, but making sure others know that you expect them to hold you accountable? Better. If ... you're up to it. The memory of his speech comes forward, like a vision, for him to remember it.

_Cecil stands from his place at the parchments, and listens to the various comments, then turns to Shallyah directly when she addresses him.

I thank you, Shallyah. First, for your honesty, and the honor in your requests. Respect. He makes a fist to his chest, and bows to her. Second, because you've opened up a good time for me to say a couple of things that need to be said.

Let any scribe, man, woman, warrior, or power unseen that can hear me, take note, and hear me well.

Since I am indeed responsible for the leadership of the Remnant and this town, now, there are a few things that I wish to make crystal clear.

Should Ostromog and his forces honor this agreement, which I find to be acceptable in it's current form, then so too, shall I. And with my honor, comes Norwick's. As long as I hold Norwick, breach of the treaty is grounds for making an enemy of Norwick, should the action be purposeful, for the undermining of our peace.

I am a man bound by self.

I will not fall, should I treat with 'evil.' I need not run sword first into certain death if it can be avoided, nor will I ask another to. I will, however, consider those whose oaths are more stringent than mine in all things, because I -do- fight on the side of good.

Norwick has always -had- laws, but I've always found laws to be chafing. Words are easily bent, misinterpreted, and used for purposes that they were not intended. Norwick's laws will stand as they were, and I will have laws drafted regarding the treaty as well. Hear me well, on this.

Just as before, I will use what power I possess to the best of my ability. I will not abuse it, Norwick's people, or strangers in the night, nor those I care less for than others.

Until we can get Norwick steady once more, if I am needed to watch over this home of mine, I shall. The same as I always have. When the time comes, however, that Norwick can support itself once more, We WILL hold elections.

Throughout this, I will need aid. I will need advisors, leaders, and those who are willing to stand beside me during this transition. My goals, for now, are this.

Cecil takes a brief break, pulling out his journal, and looking like what seem to just just a couple of words. He's not a speech writer, it's clear, but he knows his goals at least, it seems.

I wish to get Norwick back to independence. We will likely need some time of support, through food and building materials, until the mill is running and the farms are once more healthy and productive.

I also wish to create pacts. In times of war in the tribes, there were pacts between friendly groups, which included coming to the aid of their allies immediately in case of attack. This proposed one interesting problem. Bear with me a moment.

Should my Lion tribe be allied with the Raven, we would protect them. The alliance is public, and well known. Most effective ones are. Should the Boar tribe attack the Raven, they will know that they also attack the Lion tribe. Now, what if the Lion is on friendly terms with the Boar already? The Lion will attack anyway, because they agreed on their pact with the Raven. The boar creates a full blown enemy, where an ally once was, and his loss is two-fold.

The response time from Peltarch and other nations is a problem. There are agreements to be made, numbers to consider, current issues to weigh, all of it. I will entreat them to make a pact with me. Should an issue arise such as this again, to have a group set aside that can respond with haste. Our evacuation was my main concern.

When I was a guard, and things looked bad, I sent guards back to town to tell people to get ready in case of evacuation. We ended up winning the day each time before, however, a system like this could prevent such a greater loss of life in the future. With the aid of allies, we could get the town evacuated in half the time, or less, than we could alone.

Those goals, are some of what I hope to accomplish while I am entrusted with the burden of leadership. And yes, I intend to do it from the front.

With a deliberate nod to Shallyah at his last sentence, he closes his book, has a long drink of water, and watches the rest of those gathered._

Yes, he will remember. Yes, he will follow through. And yes, this too, shall be a trial that he overcomes. He shakes himself awake, and speaks out loud to the empty room.

"What if … what if I do well, and help? Maybe all that hero talk wouldn't be so bad after all.

He falls asleep after a time, with dreams of well-earned glory in his mind, tempered with even grander dreams of fulfilling his duty. Maybe Ardent was right. Maybe he's a little paladin-y after all… in a way.

• (DM Syied approved)

I was sitting down to write my reports, catch up if you will, and read over the law books again, especially concerning ranks. It seems I've finally gotten my promotion!

@5de15d8a36:

• Guardsman Cecil Northman

Due to the fierce fervor and devoted loyalty you have shown over the many year in service to the realm. I hereby promote you, Cecil Northman to esteem rank of Senior Guardsman. You will fulfill your duties and serve your realm with the utmost vigilance and honorable respect. Until you withdraw by choice or fall in glorious combat. In the name of all that stands for Norwick and the well being and prosperity of her people. Effective immediately.

Norwick Prevails.

• Lieutenant Rain & Captain Locrian Danister

_I am writing this report, journal, or whatever … from Peltarch. Norwick is, at the moment, no more.

I guess I should start at the beginning. It goes like this.

My reports and promotion sheet were put aside for talking to one of the guards, who burst into the room, looking terrified, and nearly screamed at me.

"SHIT WE GOT GNOLLS FROM THE NORTH AND BUGBEARS FROM THE SOUTH."

That was enough to send me to my feet, but the color on his face made me pause, and I nodded, sending him running out. He knew his job ... but I worried if I would be able to do mine. My duty is to Norwick, and promotion or not, I am responsible for her people. Hells, especially now with the promotion.

Trusting to the soldiers to do what they do without question, Ilooked for Belinda in her office, as she was often the only other person in the halls, and nabbed Bub from his perch to his usual one atop my shoulder, and ran out, looking for Belinda on the way. Things needed to be done.

Belinda was there when I arrived at the boats, and I sent the one guard I was able to find, to the North, while Belinda and I made our way around the lands to the east, to gather up every civilian we could find. She was among the first to arrive, having already been gathered up.

We ended up with a LOT, and the ferryman, good man that he is, let them on the boat with my word that it was necessary. I don't know how much of the village I packed onto that boat, but it floundered a little before we got some speed, and scared the hell out of us.

Speaking of US ... I was never supposed to get on that boat. Damnit.

Belinda started it. I loaded everything up, her included, and turned to go lend my blade to the effort. The evacuation was well under way, but there were others to get out of there! My turn gave her my cloak, then there were two, then four, then more hands on it. Belinda was clever enough to say they boat itself needed protection, but I think what it really needed was not to have MY heavy ass on it.

Short story shorter, the boatman launched while I was on the boat and arguing, and forbade me come back. He said he'd make trips while he could, for us, but that I shouldn't expect too much.

He came back a few times that I know of, but I have not attempted to board the ship again. Instead, I'm going to inquire about refugees in and near Peltarch, since it's apparently a fine time to be close to our neighbors.

I've heard that I was right, that Norwick fell, and is now in Bugbear hands ... which I intend to see righted, and quickly. I cannot, however, do it alone. First things first.

I must find Ashena. She MUST be ok.

I must find Val and Shallyah, they'll know what to do.

I must find shelter for my townsfolk.

I must seek the Lion.

But first ... sleep._

(DM Syied approved)

• A quick note is jotted down, as a reminder to himself

Find out what Ardent is talking about regarding promotions. Nobody has said word one to ME about this stuff…

• _A great many things have occurred in the past couple of days, or maybe it just seems that way. Regardless, it's been an interesting time. The wedding is coming soon, the Solstice bearing down on me more quickly than I dared to hope, and I find myself nervous, but in a good way. Like the feeling before a battle, but one you're already set to win, if you can only have the courage to -go-.

The prize is great, Ashena is my ideal, and Celia has the ceremony all planned out, so I don't think that even -I- could goof this up. Val even got us rings, and Ardent, in her usual Ardent fashion, has already attacked us with gifts! This new bow is really impressive, and I think Ashena will enjoy her gift as well!

Speaking of Ardent, I always forget that she's a half-elf, in the sense of, remembering that she's a part of the elven community. I hear about them once in a while in reports, or see them out and about in bands of just elves (For the most part), but never really gave it much thought. Seems normal.

Today, I joined them on a hunting trip, the sole human among the elf-blooded, and I'll be honest with myself here, I felt quite out of place.

For about ten minutes.

These were all people I knew at least a little, and they welcomed me well, and did not speak Elven, possibly so as not to make me feel excluded. We ended up having a pretty good time! Into the underdark we went, a path having been opened to the ettins, which we went to go say hello to!

Ama and I were up front, wielding Greatswords, and a comment was brought up about … how large my sword is. Ardent of course, perpetrated that, and had me blushing in no time, but I think Jin was very much her partner in crime there. Regardless, Ama'Bael commented that we would see how well I could use it, so in we went.

It's been quite a while since I've seen the ettins. Long enough, that the last time I was there, just one or two was quite a fight for me.

This time, we cut through them like a flaming sword through goblin.

I got a grin and a compliment from Ama, and we resumed our grisly work, each of us able to knock down these psuedo-giants, one way or another, and pouncing on the fallen things, blade first, when the opportunity arose.

It was a glorious slaughter when we came across several at once, and even their Shamans were no match at all.

Quiet halls dominated the next hour or so after some mining was done. That surprised me, since, while I know the value of mining, I cannot help but refer to it as the "Dinner bell of the Underdark." I'm always shocked when the sound of picks ringing on stone doesn't bring every hungry critter for leagues, right away. Then again, I suppose the twisting of the tunnels helps account for that.

Then we saw him. A MASSIVE ettin, who looked better armed, and kind of ... well, a lot different from the others. He took up a decent chunk of the hall, saw us, and grinned twice, once from each horrible head, and I didn't even have time to remark how strange it was to see one of those agreeing with ... well, itself, before it was upon us.

I can safely say, this may have been the most intense fight of my life!

Blades came rushing in, giving me just barely enough time to get my sword up, and had I not, I realized that not even my steel armor would have saved me from that horrible first strike. This bastard was as strong as six ettins!

Therean and Caelisar were mostly beside me, a bit to the side, and suddenly several of us were getting smacked, and it was brutal. Blood flew, and most of it was from us, the damned thing being too fast to hit easily, and shrugging off even the mightiest of blows. I know. I served him half a dozen immediately.

There was nothing for it, so I shouted a challenge up at him, and it actually looked surprised for a moment, before laying into me like I was the only thing to exist.

Thank the Lion for my strength, thank Ashena for my increasing faith in myself, thank Moon for the armor, and Ardent for the blade ... had I not been prepared as I was, I would have fallen, and more than once.

Thank Caelisar and Therean, who took turns chanting as rapidly as they could, to continuously heal me, and keep me on my feet. Even as I felt faint, nearly at death's door, no sooner would I take another swing instead of retreat, than the healing word of the Elven Gods suffused me, further frustrating my foe, and causing it to hit harder, faster, but still staying relentlessly on me alone.

That's what I wanted.

The others were capable, skilled ,and strong, but this was my place. This was my purpose, and if I need fall to gain them an extra moments respite, or escape, I would do it. These were my companions, and I was meant to face this threat, so I did. Gods was I afraid, I had a wedding to get to, and dammit I was going to make it alive.

My prayer to the Lion must have been heard, through bloody, gritted teeth. My next strike, and the one after, and one shortly after that, all bit deeply into the creature, and indecision finally struck it's horrid features. Was this puny human going to win? Surely not!

Both arms lifted, a great foot shifted for maximum striking power downward, and the Golden Sword of Valkur, that giant shining greatsword, found it's mark, a wet hiss escaping a punctured lung, and a shudder pulsing through the blade from a heart that just figured out it was time to quit, being skewered so, before the creature fell down nearly on top of me, unmoving.

Jokes were traded about whether I knew how to use a shield, among exclamation of disbelief, and praise for valor and strength, but all of us were stunned. This creature stood firm against a RAIN of blows from several of us, sneaky attacks from Ardent and Jin, slices from the new fellow they kept calling henchman, and arrows and sling bullets alike, that his companions had fallen to in mere MOMENTS.

Either he was a champion among ettins, or he was spelled to the teeth.

Meeting Casca in the tunnels later informed us that at least the latter was true. A complaint that we had killed all her loyal customers was met with a few disbelieving stares, but it did make sense when she mentioned that one of them was a GREAT customer, and had bought enough to be nearly invincible.

Oh. Thanks. It ALL makes sense now, you half-pint whack-nut.

She talked our ears off about the auction for a bit, then headed to the surface with us. One thing caught my ear specifically though, when she was singing the praises of her wares. An egg shaped device, like the ones she sold the Legion during the war.

I asked for clarification, since I was not there for that, and had only heard tales from others, and determined that yes, she had sold it to them, and yes, she had at least another like it. I was assured, of course, upon asking, that they didn't -all- do that... you know, open gates to the hells on Toril, but I asked her anyway, politely, if she could PLEASE not sell any more of those ... especially since she valued living customers.

Thankfully, she at least -said- she wouldn't, but I don't know how strong her word binds her. I hope she keeps it.

At any rate, Bub has climbed me since the talk of ettins, and is emulating being a second head atop my shoulder, so I imagine it's time to feed him again. Boy does he get creative when he's hungry..._