The Long Walk, a Black Lion's Tale.

• Progress, and what's next

It's been a couple weeks since I wrote, but for once, it's because not much has happened to me. Or around me, for that matter. Sure, there's been some adventures, some fighting monsters, and that kind of thing ... but nothing profound. I did explore that gift from the Wanderer though, and dove into research about enchanting lately.

Scott is way ahead of me in this realm of research, or just has a very clear idea of what he wants, and pays others to do all the research ... but my own findings have been useful, and the journey, fulfilling!

At first, a conversation was had with Karrick about dragonhide, but after separating texts about materials and how they can be used, I realized that if I wanted to use dragonhide to get the kind of protection that my ring offers, I'd need to have ARMOR of it, not just a belt. Seeing as how that won't really for out for me, I scrapped the idea in favor of protective bracers.

With all the ogres and giants with their clubs I face, I've been noticing that the slight weakness to blunt attacks on me are a pretty nasty weak point, so the enchantments on the gloves are all meant to help me face such foes. My gauntlets of ogre power have a blessing to aid my strength, so I made sure to focus on that, first. Next, a resistance to being bludgeoned is weaved into them too, which compliments the gloves themselves. They're double-banded, and have a nice high cuff on them, which locks tight to make a bracer-like support. No blow is going to be strong enough to make me drop my weapon easily, now.

Knowing what I wanted was one thing ... but how to get it done? Well, the Wandering God told us to focus on the item we wanted enchanted, and use the token of thanks he gave us ... so that's exactly what I did. I focused on these traits, laid the gloves over one another, said a prayer to that God for guidance, and pressed the little token to the gloves. With a flash of light, it disappeared, and the gloves took on a stonelike sheen to their leather, now firm and protective.

Perhaps I'll hire a mage, soon. I have been saving Jasmals to enhance a weapon with, and Black Onyx, to make an item to help absorb negative energy rather than letting it harm me directly. Hopefully someone can design something that absorbs it without KEEPING it, cause I have no use for some kind of wearable well of negative energy. Sounds like a good way to attract the wrong kind of attention.

Anyhow, I should probably go continue stocking up my potion supply. I'm going to end up in a group with someone like Erurk again, I'm certain, and they're inevitably going to be walking around without supplies. Perhaps I'll happen across some more enchanting materials!

• The Wandering God

As we left, battered and weary from what I now know was known as The Astral Link, the figure I now know to be Shaundakul approached me. His robes blew in a nonexistent wind, and his gaze went right through me, and without preamble, he told me a story. It seemed like he'd been holding onto it for some time, and that the time for it to reach the ears of another, had finally come.

The God spoke. "Friedrich Dela Rosa was a human knight-errant from Cormanthor that caught my attention three centuries ago. He used to make long treks only for the sake of traveling and discovering. Wandering east and west, roaming in plain roads or harsh highways, but always watching for the safety of the caravans. In one of his longest treks through the forest I appeared to him. He was baffled, obviously, and took me for someone else. But it didn’t take me too long to convince him who I really was. I went straight to the point and told him I might had a task for him that would forge his character. Friedrich wasn’t likely to object to such a quest coming from me, so he agreed to undertake it."

"It was a rather simple task for him and his capabilities. He needed to explore a specific high mountain -- one you are now familiar with -- to find ‘something’ I eventually didn’t tell because, you know, where’s the thrill on telling all the details? As much as I hate riddles, sometimes they are entertaining. You can imagine the thing that was to discover as the request came from me. So then, no time to be wasted, he packed up all his care and woe, took his mount, his knightly lance, and wander off as a truly knight-errant. "

"He left behind the Rimwood, the Midwood, and the Starwood. He explored the Earthwood and even climbed the Galena Mountains, all of which took their brutal toll on both his courage, and his strength. Despite that, he kept his battered head high, and willed his increasingly beaten body onward, despite the foes before him. You know giants and their ilk are not something you deal with in a friendly manner, and he was no stranger to this by now, either."

"Overcoming the giants, never giving up in this long trek, he still wandered East, looking for this highest of peaks. Singing low, he closed in gradually to the Giantspire mountains, and entered their range, until the majestic and eldest mountain stood before him. The long road and cruel dangers were something he should overcome. You certainly can make up an idea of what he had to face centuries ago in this land of demon’s demeanor. However, Friedrich was a stubborn... and nothing, absolutely nothing like demons, giants and bandits, would stand in his way to achieve glory. Glory? I ask myself why he thought he would have found glory. Human hearts never cease to amaze me in their endless search to attain futile and illusory goals."

The God kept to his tale, while I listened, as the others rested and recuperated after our flight from the pit fiend that also slew me, but his twisting, rambling tale started to worry me, as his goals, and Friedrich's goals, didn't seem one and the same, so soon in it.

"Alone, he reached the peak, and dared to explore this cavern. I appeared to him once more and warned about the dangers inside, about what he was actually to find this time, and no jokes were present any longer. Instead, the truth: A planar gate, a vortex of astral links between hells and heavens. An ongoing battle of the Bateezu and the Celestials to gain dominion of such a place. When he heard this... his will almost abandoned him. He had doubts, many doubts about how a simple human, a knight-errant, could interfere and do something significant in this battle between good and evil. To do something, already without provisions, without equipment, even running low on sheer strength of will. To do something with only his mere lance, that had served him to climb to the top of the mountain after losing even his mount and most of his gear due to the harsh weather and enemies that he faced."

"I told him not to worry too much about that, but not to case aside all concern...since things could escalate quickly if he wouldn’t take part in the task I had set. I assured him that I would watch over him, and blessed his lance. A lance he used now as one might a greatsword, much to my delight, admittedly. The lance... was to contain all the bliss and woe both planes represent to work as an intermediary. Charged with both different types of energies to be effective, and to never fall in one or another category. And so, with such a tool in hand, he walked forward to battle and seize the place from the Bateezu along with the Celestials."

"The matter was settled, the task accepted, but there was still work to be done, as the portal was not to be closed... but to be kept. And to be kept by who else but him? I made Friedrich Dela Rosa one of my few Champions. He carried the key, the weapon used to settle the affair. He was to watch over this specific link of antagonistic planes. He’d held the link itself that let him teleport at will. As a mere human, however ... some traits from his past can’t never be changed. As a knight-errant, he started to wander between planes. He became a planeswalker and I allowed it."

"Perhaps it was loneliness at the end, that pervaded his feelings. As every woeful human, he strove from the road and started to frequent the company of devils more often than their adversaries. The devils, the Erinyes specifically, persuaded him easily, as they are wont to do with their various tactics, skills, and arts ... and in no time he was about to favor more one side than another. That was when I had to step on and destroy the lance that I had once so joyfully granted."

"Stricken, seeming lost, he stood there for months, with the splinters scattered, at the foot of my Shrine. He thought I abandoned him, but that was never the truth. In fact, a part of those feelings were transferred to the lance during Friedrich’s decay. He chose to believe that, it overcame him, and so he let himself die. "

"Time elapsed, and as his own self was likely to be two now as a planeswalker in the Material and the Astral plane, where a body once lay, a ghost now stood. The devils, interfering as they are known to do, spirited him back to the place he once watched over, and you have an idea of what happened next. Humans seduced by devils are always to be fools. And I’m glad now I can take care of the soul of this fool, Cecil. "

The God looked about to say more, but my companions stirred, and some seemed to be speaking to him elsewhere, and I very much felt like perhaps I was not the only person being spoken to at the moment, somehow ... but I suppose it can be like that, when chatting about past mistakes with literal, actual, Gods. Overwhelmed, I nodded, and did my best to remember his words, so I've put them down on paper so that I may not forget, and will be able to share them. I admit, on these pages, that I truly don't know what to think of this God, or his actions. I do know this, though. This story, is not over. The convergence of planes is REAL, it's still present, we kicked up a HELL of a fuss on our way out, and now I walk about with the key to a power that no mortal should have (Clearly!), that still works despite it's shattering ... and I even bear the pieces to repair it, if such a thing is possible. For now, I guess I'm simply happy that I was able to bring the soul out of that place.

It appears I'm going to have to make a decision soon, one way or another. I suppose I'll share this with my friends for now, though I know what some of them will say already. (Like Nate ... he'll just go on with the lance jokes, for example. Goodness, my reputation...) For some reason, I have a deeply unsettled feeling about what the God may have to say next.

May the Lion preserve me, and bolster me. The affairs of Gods are above my mortal head.

• Shattered

Today was as good a day as any. I sent out a notice for magic users to aid me in finding the other half of the lance. Surely, the best way to find out more about it, was to find the rest of it, so out went the call. Juggs answered, as Lady Kathea had, but he was around next time I showed up, so off to scry we went.

A component, some blessed water, and my helmet ... and there we were, staring into the surface of the water to see an image, (praise to the Mother of Dwarves, of course), which showed us a windswept area, with four pillars that had holes carved or worn into them, probably producing some kind of noise as the wind blew through them.

At the foot of the shrine, slumped in death, was a body, or what remains of a body after what looks like 100 years, given the state of the armor. Armor which bore the sigil of Shaundakul, God of the winds. I should tell Willow! The body, slumped against the shrine, had a hole in the armor's remains, from which protruded splinters, and the other end of my Lance. Somebody, it seems, had killed the Shaundakulian Knight with it, and now he was somewhere "Far to the west" atop a mountain, with my answer buried in him, or at least ... the next question.

As we pondered this, the lance shivered, and started to move. I grabbed on, and then Juggs and I, and Caling too, were -Taken-. We vanished, and ended up on what Juggs identified as another plane ... but not one he knew anything about or recognized. We were stuck, or so it seemed, with nothing in any direction of note, until my hand moved, and some light shone at the edge of the lance. Even with the emotions swirling through me, loss and victory, abandonment and the bliss of belonging, that was enough of a signal, and I went through a series of warmup fighting routines with it, making it glow brighter, until we were falling ...

Yes, falling. From the sky. Above where we were, just west of the gate ... We landed on the dias where we were performing the ritual, and poor Juggs landed on his face, leaving a massive dwarfcrater, while I was more fortunate to land on my feet and merely leave shattered stone footprints and sore feet behind ... and then there was Caling. Who I caught. Must have been quite the sight, except nobody was there to see it.

Apparently, when we vanished, our friends rushed off to scry us themselves, and came back at hearing the earthshattering crash of us returning to the Prime. I have NO idea what that was all about, but I'm happy that I have Roderick's Planar Orientation Gear, in case this bloody quest of mine strands me on some other plane.

Speaking to Jonothan warned me of the same. Shaundakul has always been a "Free spirit" of sorts, and fond of travel, even planar, for he and his followers, so I might be getting myself into more than I was originally bargaining for. Perhaps Roderick and I were put together for a reason, all that time ago. It's like the Gods ... oh! Speaking of Gods ...

In that plane, the first thing that happened, was that we all felt a pressure on our minds, like something was trying to get IN. I don't know what, or who, and we all appeared to resist the effects, somehow, so it brings to mind ... I wonder what kind of attention I've ended up with due to this. And ... what kind is to come. It reminds me too much of those stories of destinies for me to be comfortable ... so why do I feel kind of excited?

I guess anything beats playing guard to some of the shenanigans in town lately. People need to go have a drink and quit the bullshit. It's getting far past old, and well into "Petty and childish" realms. Now to get this dent out of my armor ... damned Garagosian.

• Flayed

It started out innocent enough. And it started with Aniril. Little baiting comments, low stuff really, with the whole "Seeking of people with grey moral codes" to go to the crypts with him for scrolls. Now, of course it could have just meant beating up the active undead for their stuff, and not active graverobbing ... but people seem to enjoy poking at me lately, to see how far I'll take my 'job' to go out of my way to bother them.

The elf Tirreth and his damned cat were a good example of that. If he'd just not sassed Yana, it wouldn't have been an issue, either.

Anyway, as he collected volunteers with very little positive response, he had just enough people that I didn't recognize, or already knew would be in trouble in the sewers, so I said I'd go too, once he 'lowered his standards' to include the likes of me, heh. Personally, I just didn't want to wander down there later and drag out bodies.

Things went ... well. For a while, no less. We whacked on wights, complete with punnery reminding me of my dear Ashena, smacked down skeletons, and cut down cultists, with a bard singing away at our backs. Sure, I took a big fat ZAP from Aniril when intercepting several of their priests that came charging down on us, but at least it was me and not someone it would have killed outright...

People took direction well, as I sort of took over Aniril's little trip, and down into the hole, to the crypts, we went. The warning was that I wouldn't be standing back any more, but if I got 'held' by those awful priests ... that they'd have to defend themselves, and get held I did. Several times.

Juggs, the fat Dwarf, follower of the "mother" Berronar Truesilver, or something like that, may she be praised, artisan of the masterworked sandwich, and a damned treat to be around, saved my bacon several times in that trip, especially after things took a turn ... like when we encountered a small ARMY of zombies, luckily the kind that I can usually take down with a single swing, but I had to keep swinging to take down the fifty to a hundred at a time, to keep them off our back line.

This led to us finding a mage down there, a woman who called herself "Gray", who said she was also investigating the cause for these little armies of dead popping up, as she said that their particular method of animation was neither arcane, NOR Divine ... but something OTHER. We didn't really trust her much, but with no direct evidence of treachery, I wasn't about to attack a possible citizen or ally. So on we went, deeper into the crypts, despite complaints of being out of spells, or diseased, or drained, which admittedly, Gray helped us with some potions for, and on we went.

Cue more zombie army action. I think we faced three gigantic groups of them over the course of our trip, which I almost enjoy fighting, since you can find a rhythm with your enemies being destroyed in a strike, especially with a bard like Tom in the background, providing pacing and a beat to ... well, beat down baddies to.

We wandered into a room, with a seemingly innocent lit brazier, that turned into three, that spawned shadows, that led to a fight, which created doors once the braziers were kicked over, which led to a trap, which turned out to be getting caught by a Mind Flayer, something i've never encoutnered before, that had apparently been sampling our minds, and we were in it's trap ... but Gray was there to shield our minds long enough to cause a distraction, in this case, Aniril's rapier, which gave us a moment.

I used that moment to pop up, and knock that squidfaced bastard tentacles over teakettle, and we cut it down immediately after that. Thankfully, they're physically weak, or that would have went badly. We collected the belongings of some old victims apparently, and made our way back to the surface, where Juggs gave me a masterwork sandwich, I had the guards help us out with healing and taking the body to the Ceruleans for reporting and research, and I finally got a much needed bath in the lake. What a day.

Now, I should go talk to Kathea, and some other mages, to make sure that I get some answers about the other half of this lance ... I'm not giving up now. It's just getting more and more interesting!

• There are a few things that make me feel, well, more alive than anything else. One of them, is being surrounded by foes on all sides, fighting myself into a circle of corpses, and getting to step, or climb out of them, victorious.

This time, I wandered into a war, small scale, more of a battle, but not to our foes, Im sure. The Dwarf Hold, 'holed' up in Sam's Hole, was apparently under attack. Some adventurers were apparently out and about in various caves, when others ended up stumbling upon them. My own entrance to their group was ... unexpected, to say the least.

Someone had left a scroll in front of a citizen, and of ALL the people in Peltarch he could bring it to, this inquisitor was the one he did so to ... so I took a look, and by the time I got to the part about "Baleful Teleport" ... well, we got whisked away to underground. The citizen immediately whipped off his robe to reveal sneaking leathers, grabbed a pair of daggers, and went to go scout, saying to wait for him ... but after much waiting, he did not return.

Awesome.

We plodded through a very dark cave, where I felt in unfamiliar territory, when a rumble shook the place, and before long, goblins began pouring out of holes. And when I say goblins, I mean that our group of nearly 20 was grossly outnumbered, goblins swarming 10 or more to one, and clambering over us, each other, and the corpses of their fallen to scramble gibbering like madmen to plunge their crude little knives into soft adventurer flesh, and use their clubs to knock some adventurer noggins.

Little did we know, that we were below the Dwarf Fortress at that point, and that this was an attack. A war. For us, the war was on. There was no time to think, or plan, just enough time to shout that somebody should check ahead for our way out, and the fight was on. I hewed limbs from little green corpses, one after the other, flat out CRUSHED any that charged foolishly too close to me, and cleaved my way through MANY at a time, as their numbers passed the hundred mark, and kept coming.

There were a couple of brief pauses in the assult, in which we healed up the folks taking more of a beating than others, and I did my best to run back and forth to take the pressure off of others, but sooner or later, we were going to get overwhelmed, especially if more bombers and veterans poured in. The Elite fighters and Veterans were at least a match for some of the newer adventurers, and we were starting to risk losing some ... so I did the only think I could think to do.

I ROARED.

May the Lion keep my spirit as his, and my voice as his as well, for the goblins retreated at the sound, the very ground shook, and the adventurers looked on in shock as we gained a brief respite from the chaos. Thank you, Lion. That saved lives.

We moved onward, only to discover where we really were, having to take out an animated statue, and sneak past a guard, and finally exited their keep to the delight of the dwarves on the wall, who informed us that an army was coming, whose other push we had thwarted already.

Siege weapons (Cannons!) , debris for blockades, and surprisingly receptive adventurers made for a HELL of a war party, and we took on the waves of goblins handily, exploding the little green bastards whenever the cannon's firing crew had their aim together, and through the bard Talesin the Taleteller nearly bit it from the attentions of a caster or five ... we all made it out alive, much to the delight of the Dwarves we helped, and we were rewarded generously with a pack of potions and spellcrystals, and some gold.

The citizen also reappeared ... captured by the Dwarves, as he had indeed gone scouting, and found their treasure room. He's fine,
    as they released him to me to send back to town, thankfully ... so I guess all's well that ends well.

I don't know if the War of Sam's Hole and the Dwarf Fortress is going to end up in the books, but it was memorable for us, and I'm glad for that random citizen and his stupid cursed scroll, or I might not have been there. Now ... to go research what kind of spells I need someone to be able to cast to find the other half of this lance.

• Developments-

The day before yesterday, I Saw a vision with the lance, and so did everyone else. I felt like I do when holding the lance, but not while holding the lance, with the elation but despair, abandonment while bathed in the lgiht of a loving entity. Then I started shaking, and the lance started buzzing, and then things appeared. When I saw things, I mean seemingly planar manifestations ... one seemingly Celestial, one seemingly Infernal. Basically, An angel looking figure, and a devil or demon looking figure, both appeared, pointed to their mouths while mouthing a word, and vanished.

I went to the bardic college, and did some research with Keerla, Caling, Kathea and Laerune. Laerune determined that the base of lance has something special to it. The way it's shaped, the way the energy flows down the hilt, not the actual lance, it's strange. Perhaps it's a connector, or a key, without it's rightful place. Even the design of the hilt and shaft looking to be something you wuld insert as a whole.

Maybe they were trying to indicate a command word? Or a hole. Or the mouth of something?

That was a fruitful visit, so I decided that the bardic college would be a good bet overall, so I sought out someone I've seen show up in reports, and perhaps met a time or two, the Master bard, Nathen Wingates. Turns out, he's pretty much exactly as people describe him. In terms of the lance and some knowledge, that was a good thing. In terms of innuendo, he was much worse than anticipated! I hope nobody was near the inn rooms at the Mermaid, else the rumor mill is going to catch fire.

Nate cast some spells, held the lance, and determined the following. It's definitely two parts, and a key. Forged by, or blessed by, or forged in the name of, an ancient Power. They were interested in autonomy, individuality, freedom, and intended this spear to reflect that. That explains the duality of the feelings it gives you, both good and bad, free and shackled, blessed and abandoned ...

It's either one thing, or the other, according to different texts. Some clain that it is an artifact to contain ... something. The texts are vague, as archaic texts tend to be. The other texts claim that it's an artifact intended to liberate, or release. Like some manner of 'key', as it were. So containment, or liberation. Mysteries all around...

Nate's guess? They're both right.

He also bets that the other side is infused with negative energy. I thought that since both manifested, that couldn't be true, but since the thing was always meant to be whole, of course both would manifest. So now, I guess I'll try to find out where the other half it. Come to think of it ... I bet that's scryable!

• I'm not sure if 'Adventure' covers what just happened.

Lemme back up though, and describe was I wasn't ready for that, just yet.

A small group of us had decided on some adventure, a good old fashioned wander, if you will. Karrick, Isolde, and Me, joined later by Ros with her uncanny knack for finding us by the trail of corpses in our wake ... uncanny, I say! The wander started with Karrick having returned from an adventure with some others, who slew a vampire! Yana gave me a brace of the most beautifully crafted axes I've ever seen from their stash, simply for the asking, as I was stunned that nobody wanted them! Karrick had a cloak from it, with Helm's sigil upon it, and a bit of magic to it, too. He wanted to see it returned to the temple in Jiyyd, so off we went.

The trip down was uneventful, all the way to the door, and our experience with lady Alicia was pleasant, til she grilled Karrick upon seeing his ... abnormality. The tail, really. Apparently, he was once a Tiamat follower, greedy and avaricious as a dragon, but now seeks to alter his path, and find Asogorath. Whatever that is.

We decided from there to check out the will, since I mentioned that I'd seen demons last I was there, and sure enough, we found some. A LOT of them, in fact. The daring fighters, the flapping horrors, quasits and their Godsforsaken missile spells, even dretches and their stinking clouds of putrid stench. Then, the surprise ... fiendish necromancers and succubi arrived, working some kind of ritual in which they summoned burning Skeletons!

Karrick was burn proof, by virtue or apparently having red dragon blood in him, but my ring kept me safe, and we fought together, punching flaming skeletons while we were ALSO on fire. It must have made for quite a scene ... so having wasted them, we moved on to where I remembered the altar room from .. where I'd fought a giant undead wyvern not so very long ago, and sure enough, there were shenanigans going on. A nefalshee and several Vrocks, who predictably diseased us quite immediately, but all fell in the end. We collected the loot of healing berries, and a strange idol ... missing it's gem-eyes, one of which we found nearby, which ended up being QUITE spooky overall, in it's effect on the nearby light.

Thanks to it's very unique magic signature, we found it's partner after nearly an entire day of random wandering, down ... yea, another well. One we FELL down, where I nearly flattened poor Karrick. Inside, a maze of mind-tricks, spells, and foes, including, yes ... SWARMS of Quasits, the awful bastards ... saw us victoriously to the end ... where an incubus tried to tempt us into giving over the statue, that it was not meant for mortal hands, and promising us riches and more.

The deal offering was cut short as none of us wanted to take such from -them-, and Karrick putting his war pick in the critter's skull, prompting us to help kill it. Ros was here by this point, having been first down the well, and gave him several 'points' to think about in response to his 'deal' offer.

Then Karrick and I drank up a bunch of beneficial potions, expecting to meet this "lord something or other" who the demon was bringing a deal forward for, and we got a faceful of a dozen succubi, several Vrocks, a Nefalshee and a Hezrou, who waited at his little ritual spot til he was forced to fight us, thankfully. I don't think he wanted to interrupt what he was up to, and was probably hoping we'd die so his flunkies could just bring the last bits to him, and he could complete whatever working he was up to...

As for me, now out of potions except strength, bark, and healing, I got hit with those draining touches from the succubi, and though I shrugged off their first few attemtps, I started feeling my soul get leached away, so I ran to drink one of my last restoration potions, and heard the next Incubus tell Isolde to come to his arms, he would comfort and help her, and he sounded almost like Nate.

So she went to do so.

My potion worked, and I was no longer blinded or drained, and mister incubus ... well, he got an armful of Cecil instead, and went down quick and hard. Isolde was shocked, and apologetic, but we didn't have time for that ... we have to take out the Hezrou. I shouted Ashena's name, my fiancee, my love, my demon hunting buddy, heh ... and we slew the beast, Karrick and I alternating between fighting defensively with it in our face, and then going all out as it focused on the other. Or at least, that's what -I- did. He may have just been strong enough to go full out the whole time.

Anyway, we killed it, are going to research the stupid relic, and I'm glad that was disrupted some bloody plans of these planar jackwagons. I'm hoping that with their defeat, we've cleaned out one of the last strongholds of remaining demons, and that we'll see under the well demon-free soon too.

SO, having survived that, I went back to Peltarch, bought a LOT of potions again, having had to use plenty in our endeavor, and then Filifred ruined everyone's day. BADLY. But, more on that later. I need to go check in with Jonothan, and clean off this broken lance. I used it quite a lot against demons, undead, and even orcs, to see if it responded in any way, but so far, nothing yet.

I will find it's purpose, it's story.

Somehow.

• The Job.

It's been a while since I've had an official, "on paper" assignment. I got them occasionally while I was with Norwick, but not with any real frequency, as I was usually self-managing, and largely unsupervised.

This was little different in the lack of supervision, unless she joined us invisibly, but today I got my first contract from the clerk. She's a friendly, quiet type, the clerk. I was handed a sheet, which read that I, Inquisitor Cecil Northman, was authorized to use Lethal Force in the pursuit of the remaining enemies of Peltarch, known as the "Blackcloaks."

My magistrate signed it, and the clerk cleared her throat, saying something along the lines of, "The magistrate regrets to inform you that the gaol is full at the moment, so apprehension will not be possible."

Sometimes I love 'red tape'.

I read the reports in this town. I have access to many of them. Despite my appearance and heritage, I've acquired no small skill at it, and enjoy it a great deal, so when the word of Blackcloaks attacking the orphanage to get back at some adventurers came across paper, I saw it.

Gathering folks was no large task. Plenty were sitting around the commons with me when the orders came along. When I explained what it was, and what I had heard, there was an enthusiastic response, so off we went to the cliffside caves. Thankfully, Vick and other stealthy types were along, so I had scout support. Two guards were at the cave mouth, and with some instruction, the signal was given, and I charged across the sand as fast as my legs would let me. The snarky guards had some comments for me as I came charging up, probably thinking my interest was just to go into the caves or something, and there may have been a silence scroll involved, because their lips moved, but no sound made it out.

I'll give them this, they were tough bastards. Kinda hard to hit, but as sturdy as me, to a man, for many of them. Two corpses reddening the sand later, we took an assessment as a group, made sure we were as prepared as we could be, and moved in at the signal, encountering a couple more, and a theme developed. We would lure or ambush, one or two would inevitably try to break off and get to "Jan", who must have been in charge, but no matter how fast they tried to be, I'm faster. And my scouts were there to cut them off, too, shooting their legs and hampering them in general. As much as I tease Vick for having to run from a single lizard, he stood his ground to stop these shits from getting away.

We collected their insignias as we went, since this was an official job. I know I would be believed if I returned saying the job was done, but it doesn't hurt to be thorough. All went well, til we got to Jan and her flunkies. The scouts found several much tougher looking guys helping a blonde load a boat, presumably this, "Jan."

They also said there was a curtained off room that they couldn't safely get to, and let us know to expect trouble from it, just in case. Having noted that, we wondered how to keep Jan and her pals from scampering off in the boat, and I said that I had that handled, to just follow me in, and get to work.

I prepped with potions, most importantly speed and invisibility, and charged into the room. If anybody noticed the sound or sand I kicked up, they made no move about it in the seconds it took me to get myself between Jan and the boat, and trusting my allies to filter in behind me, I got their attention by taking a swing at Jan, and then kicking her onto her face in the sand for the follow-up swing, immediately starting the party with a score on her armor, and thoroughly farking up her day. She made an unpleasant noise, and the battle was on as she got to her feet to engage me, and her seemingly Elite Guards engaged as well.

I had a good spot, as only one or two would get to me at once, so Scott took a few on immediately too, and the others filtered in around them, with Ting taking a position by the curtained room to take potshots at Jan.

As the battle flowed, and positions changed, I moved to assist Scott and the others as they had a few too many on them, and thankfully Jan didn't go right for the boat, probably knowing that she wasn't far enough to keep us off of it ... but she DID notice her guards falling, and screamed for people to wake up, prompting a curtain to twitch aside in that room the scouts mentioned, and then my face was full of guard again, as the last couple struggles to buy their compatriots time to presumably gear up properly before joining the fray.

I could have counted the seconds. It was about twenty. The pause was long enough that I honestly thought it was a bluff tactic, and as I glanced over every couple moments, I was waiting for Ting to spring away from the door, to avoid the potential ambush, but she did not ... and sure enough, soldiers flooded out from the room. A LOT of them. All I saw were swords raising and fallen, and I did not even hear her cry out over the din.

Surrounded. I was swarmed with bodies, covered in cuts, and had I been any smaller, I could have been crushed beneath the strikes that came in from all sides, trying to knock me off my feet to finish me off. Instead, I grinned. This is where I fight best. Give me more than one enemy to cut through, and watch the blood fly ... and fly it did. Scott at my back helped a lot, and enemies screamed, flew back, fell down, and dropped dead missing limbs all around us, their crashing wave of momentum broken upon our shore of defense and sheer killing capability.

Then, Jan and a couple of straggling guards were all that were left. Our polearm user pushed the boat away, someone shot or stabbed holes in it, and by the time Jan decided to run in defeat, it was too far to jump in armor, and she was stuck ... she cursed Kurth, as her final words, and fell, struck down with an arrow in the throat, making her drop her weapon and gasp horribly around the blood as she lost her footing, and dropped to her knees in the dirt, trying to staunch the bleeding and staring at us with hateful eyes, trying even then to curse us through the bubbling blood.

My sword in her neck was half courtesy, half unnecessary spite at that point, as we started the grisly work of collecting blood soaked insignias from them, and I picked up Ting's body, to carry outside. Surprisingly, as we trudged up the path, the Peltarch Military was there waiting for us, sent presumably to see if we were a success, and they were kind enough to raise Ting on the spot.

I've since delivered my insignias, and been told that the Magistrate was pleased with my work, so I suppose it was all a success. The attempted kid-killers are dead, their leader got ganked by adventurers days ago, and now the last attempted escapees from whatever else occurred, have met justice right at the jump-off to what could have been freedom.

The Lion be praised, they won't be plaguing anyone else in our place, as they did not get away. I doubt there's more of them, but I'll keep my ear to the ground about it anyway, just to be sure.

Looking at the state of my stashes now ... I need to stock back up. Too many big fights, too many small hauls. I'll check back with Jonothan for the regular stuff, then go see what people have for sale, I suppose!

But first ... beer. Pages and pitchers, what a good combination!

• Sometimes, old habits die hard.

Frankly, that's kind of how it should be. The hardest dying habits are usually the ones you've cultivated over years, even accidentally.

I found myself walking a patrol, rather than just walking through the Residentials, checking into alleys and behind buildings, and keeping my ears open for anything unusual ... which frankly, is a LOT more stuff than you'd hear in Norwick. The sheer number of people here alone is enough to turn everything I've gotten used to on it's head!

Even now, with me no longer being a 'guard', patrol was on the menu, so I did a few glances here and there as I normally would, on the way to the temple, where I spoke to Jonothan about what's going on since I saw him last. We speak often enough, since I tend to buy a LOT of potions, and this time, he seemed glad for my asking. Apparently, a newish necromancer had showed up in the sewers to cause trouble.

I said that I would take some time and check in on it, and end the threat if I could. He seemed to take to the idea that I might check in once in a while and let him know what's going on outside, since his duties keep him inside the temple, and there's not a lot of folks to help with the outside lately. I happily agreed to oblige, and off I went.

I found some of the usual suspects in the commons, and had some urchins spread the word that I was gathering folks for a mission, and off we went, into the sewers. I KIND of know my way around down there, but not nearly as well as I should, but we found out way to where we were going easily enough, as not only was the goal the crypts, but we encountered headless men and unusual undead as soon as we started getting close, so I knew when I was on the right path.

Cultists attacked after our first big battle, coming running at the sound of the pitched battle we just fought, having been surprised and largely unspelled against the fairly tough foes that appeared from around a corner, and set to our party with fists and fangs and weapons and cold, unfeeling, efficiency.

The cultists were down quickly, as they had the foolish idea to charge noisily in, screaming their battle cries, and that let me take three or four strides, to welcome them at the door.

The first threw his head back to scream a spell, his hand extended at my group, eyes widening in fervor, and then closing after a jerk, and a moment's surprise, his head cleanly removed on my strike that was conveniently aimed at his pal next to him ... and he was just in the way. So I went Through him. The next guy didn't give up a while lot of resistance, poorly armored and too skinny, so I got the one next to HIM too, all in one swing.

Turns out, that was enough to scatter them a bit more, making them somehow even WORSE at being organized against us, if such a thing were possible, and the arrows and blades of my allies wiped the floor with the rest of them in record time.

We took stock, then, Thorin blessed my sword to burst into REAL flame, and off we went. It got crazy, fast. Undead I've never seen before, these headless monstrosities, attacked, with the other usual ones joining in, including those farkin priests and their hold spells. My new armor shrugged off enough blows while I was held that I didn't get too badly hurt, but I DID get annoyed. Thankfully, there was plenty to take out my aggression on in the next room, and all around my, my allies, including the new Druid girl, Cia, did admirably.

I'm going to have to start keeping a roster of who joins me on these things, considering what happened later, but I'll get to that, soon. For now, necromancers ...

We fought through the usual, the unusual, and finally got to the his lair, where he did the usual mocking of us mortals, and then summoned MUMMIES Onto us. Not Mummy Lords, at least, so they went down mighty quickly, much to his disappointment, which I admit I didn't see much of thanks to everybody mauling his ass too much for him to concentrate very well on his feelings.

My feelings, however ... were an issue, as I was FEELING the biggest headless creature beating the shit out of me, while folks had to take a quick breather to drink potions and heal up, and I figured I could hold it off for a moment.

I was wrong.

I couldn't put that new knowledge of centering my weight to be able to dodge more efficiently to good work, and I got knocked to the floor, and everything started to go black for a moment, before someone got up under my arm, urging me to fight on, and I felt strength and feeling return to my body. CLOSE ONE!

Once he went down, it turned out that we missed a room, all the way back at the beginning, where he'd been doing his experiments. One of his comments made sense then, about wanting some of our people for their 'parts', to make the ultimate creation ... as he had a lab with a FARKED up body he'd been trying to make into one of his abominations. We gathered up the loot and headed back, after that, and I brought Jonothan the body in question, so the church could know what's up with what comes crawling out of the sewers, should it happen again.

We got some gold and various trinkets out of it, and I ... I got a broken lance. On purpose, mind you. Something about it just ... called to me, and the moment I picked it up, I knew that I made the right choice. There was something .. holy about it, for a moment. Then, I felt the most crushing loss, like I'd been raised up to see my God, standing in his giant palm to be brought before his loving gaze ... only for him to drop me as he turned away.

Something is up with this, and Jonothan verified what I thought ... that I should hold onto it, use it if I can, and try to learn more. It's broken, blackened and charred, but harms undead with power divine. Perhaps it's something that can be restored, or redeemed ... and hey, if anyone could do that, it's a knight, right?

I think I need another pitcher of beer after this, but next time I write, I'm going to get to write about my first Inquisitorial Mission. The Blackcloaks, those Orphanage attacking Motherless whores to swine, got better than what they deserved by me being the one to find them.

First, beer.

• _One day, things will come together.

Albryanna told me that, I told me that, hells, even my fellow soldiers told me that, in various forms.

Yesterday was a day where I realized that, finally, it kind of has. Not that mine is a bad life, by any means. It's just that when your goals and training and circumstance all team up to visit on the same week, well, you can't help but sit up and notice.

I've always wanted to be a knight, and in joining the Knights Requietum, I had hoped that even though its not an 'official' knighthood, decreed by a King, it's the next best thing. I earned my place, am a sword sword-brother, and am going to make a name for us, dammit. Sure we've had our holes in the road, but our wagon isn't broken yet. With Shae back, perhaps we'll have a little more leadership traction to move on some things.

With Albryanna gone, I worried for a time that my training was going to fall back some, since she was my battle-buddy, my martial mentor, and together, we took on all comers, and came out ahead.

Usually.

Well, these days, it's Kat and company that I spend a bunch of time with, seeking out places to adventure, picking on everything from Bugbears to Hooked Horrors. Thousands of attacks to hone myself against, hundreds of nasty injuries, and so many potions drank later, it came to me, in the dark.

That feeling when you finally realize that you're seeing the hits before they come, and able to move out of the way JUST enough … that's where I've been wanting to be, and where I finally got to. It all just ... clicked. I'm faster, more nimble, as if I finally learned how to move in my armor. I can't wait to practice it some more on purpose, and see what kind of difference it makes.

Honestly, it seems like a good thing to practice with my new friend and his trainees. If I can hold the attention of an enemy, and have them do the heavy lifting with their skills, perhaps it'll be a -sustainable- edge, one where I'm not drinking more potions than a field drinks water.

Next step ... train my mind. I don't think that Cormyrean Purple Dragon Knight is going to be any less frosty and suddenly willing to teach me anything in particular, so for now ... my search will turn to two new realistic and attainable goals.

Time to rewrite the list.

1.) Figure out what to do with inquisitor armor. For now, I've got it stored in the Edge with Alvaniel. Check!

2.) Find that knight. Lady Irene of Cormyr. Frosty Lady saw fit to test me, at least, but either she wasn't impressed, or was just being polite. I won't take more of her time. I think I'll consider my knighthood goal mostly accomplished, as I got promoted in the Order.

3.) Acquire a requisition form from Magistrate Borodin. No dice yet, as she's been conspicuously absent. Rumors are flying about, however, so perhaps I should push the pen in her direction first and tell her what I've seen, to see if she has a preference of what I get up to, first.

4.) Finish reading the Peltarch Employee records and previous cases seen by the Magistrates to get familiar with case law. Done. I'm up to date, know where to find what there is to find, and can use both sources for future reference.

5.) Practice. Train. Progress. It's like I've Improved on my Expertise at getting the hell out of the way of the various pointy and sharp things coming my way. Now to figure out how to better be able to hit back while I'm busy getting my arse out of the way.

6.) Funds. Doing better, here. Not great, not rich, probably not even close to -enough- really, but it's a start. Be patient, be relentless, and get it done, Cecil.

7.) I need to copy that letter into here, and make some more copies for my companions, AND tell The Order about what I found in the crypts that day. You forgot -again-. Do this soon. Yesterday, preferably.

Time to go read up on the Order's tasks, and pick one to focus on. I think I'm going to try to visit those Gondians, next.

The Lion has blessed me, and I will make good on his investment._

• A list is jotted down in Cecil's journal.

_1.) Figure out what to do with inquisitor armor. Without my locker in Norwick being easily accessible, I have to either drop this off with Tindra to hold in there (Which Im sure Peltarchians would be THRILLED about their property being in a Norwick locker…), or find a locker or such of my own.

2.) Find that knight. Lady Irene of Cormyr. Wishing for your dream isn't gonna make it happen, stupid. Chase it. Hunt down leads. Ask questions. Do. Be.

3.) Acquire a requisition form from Magistrate Borodin. If I'm to do this job unimpeded, I'm going to need a set of keys to most of the stuff in Peltarch, so that I can't be stopped by a simple door. I mean, not that I can't just break those down, but I'm sure costing the city more money isn't going to win me any favors.

4.) Finish reading the Peltarch Employee records and previous cases seen by the Magistrates to get familiar with case law. There's remarkably few records about my magistrate, and even fewer that even -mention- inquisitors at all. I may need to learn subtlety to some degree ... or try to get a hint from Borodin that she's ready to shake things up with a change by assigning someone as blunt as myself to the position. I suppose we'll see.

5.) Practice. Train. Those gnolls have me an embarassingly hard time with Z and Merlyanna, and that sets a poor example, especially from a wannabe knight. I need to step up my game. Perhaps I need to look into these 'enchanters' I keep hearing about, and see about getting some stalwart defensive gear made. Which means ...

6.) Funds. Ask the magistrate if there's pay for the position, or funds to pull from for the purposes of gearing up to better perform the job. If not ... dedicate time each week to seek out lucrative endeavors. I have the potions stock to be able to travel and adventure now, so I should use it toward a goal. I'll need to remember the generosity of others, especially that fellow who gave me a 'Heal' potion in the market during the auction, as thanks for being the meatshield so many times. Aramis, was it?

7.) I need to copy that letter into here, and make some more copies for my companions, AND tell The Order about what I found in the crypts that day.
    If there truly IS a secret terror locked away, and something found out and is collecting the keys to be able to unleash it, I MUST stop it, and I'll need my allies to help me do it.

Time to get to work._

• _I've had some time to think. I've had some time to do a great deal more than JUST think, truth be told. I've TAKEN the time to think, set some time aside just for that, but I left a little time for adventure, too. Specifically, to the Silver Valley, and beyond!

A hin named Merlyanna, a devotee of the Hin Fist Monk Order apparently, is a descendant of folk from the Silver Valley. She traveled all the way here to lay her grandparent's ashes to rest, and invited some folks to go with her, mostly hin, to see her safely there. Mostly because those lands are no longer just the old Silver Valley … but instead, are Troll infested lands.

I unknowingly crashed the party, following adventurers down that way hearing "Oh, I'm sure everyone's welcome" from a voice or two, and figuring at worst, I'd take a walk past there if I couldn't tag along. I'm not one for hard feelings, and if I'd learned that she wanted a small private group for an obviously personal thing, well who could be offended at that!?

Visions assailed us once we got in, with the appearance of a strange fog that the casters couldn't find traces of magic in, and suddenly, we all saw different things. Those of us who had seen the valley, saw what we remembered. Those who had not, saw only ruins. I saw the valley after it had moved, close to Norwick, as I remembered it. It was strange, and interesting. Not as interesting as seeing Merlyanna's ancestor spirits though, show up and thank her for her dutiful care.

I hope that if I ever have children, they do half as much to remember and honor me, as she did for hers. I was exiled from my tribe, and although it was not a malicious act, and apparently the Lion meant MORE for me than what was there, I still can't really think of them with a particular fondness, or even remember most of their names. To get here, I walked along, and now, am anything but.

Speaking of not being alone, Merlyanna stayed and talked a while with a couple of us, afterward, once the battle with the Trolls was done, and I got to learn a little more about the hin fist ideology, and her own goals and aspirations. She shared freely, and was very nice to me throughout the whole time, perhaps because several of my right-sized companions refer to me as a "Dire Dire Hin" or as I call it, "The Direst of Hin", much to everyone's amusement. After hearing of her goals, then, I decided to help.

What better way to start, than to get familiar with the threats of the land, and see the sights for herself! I suggested that we show her around, and off we went, for what turned into a fairly epic jaunt, starting innocently through Norwick's south gate, and heading east intending to get to the graveyards. That was when we encountered a stranger, sitting meditateively on the ground, with four large boulders that were balanced each on a tiny rock below them, seeming to almost float there.

Merlyanna approached her, and then when prompted that she would only talk to a challenger, Merl did just that ,managing her actually strike her, which casued a great deal of surprise on the woman's face as she looked down at herself where she took the hit.

She chucked an amulet at Mer, and said to seek her out when she's stronger ... and to be honest, that influenced my decision a little. I had been in her place. I still AM in her place, wishing to prove myself, and become that which I've sought for so many years, and seeking out the training and experience to GET there. That being said, SO we went, through the graveyard and to the first crypt, the one that doesn't reach the Underdark.

I was explaining how undead were a pretty constant threat in Narfell, and that she'd have to devote at least some of her time and resources to dealing with them, when we saw it. A Tormtar, fallen, and a figure removing something from his person as he bled out at his feet.

The figure walked off, assuming safety on the other side of the gate, but being surprised to see me open the gate with the key I had on me already to pursue him when he didn't respond to commands to stop and identify.

Then the creatures attacked.

We slew them quickly, while one of our number, Roslyn I think I'd blame Unen, but I don't think he has the skill) , set a trap over the fallen man to be able to harm the creature if it came back for him ... but I don't think they thought that plan out very well.

A creature got close JUST as we were stabilising the man, and the electrical trap went off, nearly killing Merlyanna outright, and taking a heavy toll on me too, half killing me in an instant, it felt like.

It finished the work that the poisoned or cursed blade had started on the poor fallen Tormtar, but I found a note on him that chilled us to the bone. Apparently, he was one of the Divine Shield's four keepers of pieces of a key ... and what it held was terrible. I'll copy the letter here later, but it's important that I seek out these others, and prevent this ... creature from taking them. Who knows what's locked away._

Cecil Dog-ears this page, and moves onto the next one to continue

_We moved on from there to check the other crypt, peek at the Hobgoblin woods, and say hello to the ghost wolves, doing my best to explain the dangers in all of my old patrol route areas, and show her what's where, how to deal with teh various threats, and eventually ending up coming the secret route from the goblin hold through the spider woods, ending in a very difficult fight against the Gnolls, by which point there were only three of us left. Me, Z, and Merlyanna, Unen and Ros having taken off long before.

We made it through, found a little treasure here and there on various bodies of the fallen, and ended our jaunt atop the Witch and Seer Tavern.

I hope that Merlyanna felt that she learned from the experience, and like to think that I made a new friend. From the reception that I got from a Troff Legionnaire when we got to the Bluff before her family quest, I'm going to need more friends to stand with me. Apparently, my Magistrate arrested this man's brother back in the N'Jast incident, or another, and he called her plenty of names, going so far as to try to challenge me, saying that I'm "Peltarch" and not welcome here, as if I represent all that is bad about the city.

Not bad for my first weeks in my new assignment, right?

Theaon shut the man down and sent him away for the moment, while saying that he would check into the other guard's comment that said brother had been caught stealing rations during said war … so maybe this is just another case of people not liking the magistrate because THEY were at fault.

I've read her reports, her previous judgements, and the other Magister's reactions to her verdicts ... and so far, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Unorthodox? Sure. Cruel? Hardly. I think she went plenty easy on plenty of people, and she may seem cold, but a sadist she is not. At least not on paper.

I have a lot to learn, and catch up on, but I'm making my way steadily through it. NOW, however, I have a personal lead to chase. A mission.

I heard that a Purple Dragon Knight of Cormyr, a REAL one, is in Peltarch, and I think I saw her once, too. I just wasn't sure if she was a rela one, or just employing their look, since nobody really enforces the copying of a uniform or look around here.

Her name is Lady Irene.

I plan on finding her, and asking for her to train me in the ways of knights. Hoping and wishing don't get you anywhere. I'm a soldier, and it's time I resumed acting like one. Besides, if I'm going to keep setting myself in front of people to protect them, I'd may as well look to the examples from the stories, right?

Time to go find myself a knight._

• _Well, that was interesting.

Lot to catch up on here, so I may be brief, for once.

I'm currently lugging around a suit of plate, one that I would have jumped in front of a speeding runaway wagon for years ago, with a minor armor enchantment on it. It's my official inquisitor's plate, and it's kind of awesome. Now, however, without a locker? I'm -real- heavy.

Not that I can't carry it freely and run around still, but it IS going to put a cramp in my orc-fighting profits if I have to use strength potions just to move about.

I'm also heavily loaded down with potions! There was an auction, and I came out of it with a bunch of nice scrolls, many of which I shared with Willow for some coin back. I also let her have the pack, since I won another auction item later, with potions.

I didn't get the ultimate prize, which Relin won … which was SO MANY critical curative potions. He had as many of those as I have little goblin potions ... which is a LOT. That was from a fun little jaunt through the goblin hold and mines. Good group of folks on that trip, and I had a lot of fun. Thankfully, some bartering was available after the auction, so for once, I'm comfortably stocked, not just with 'enough', but with some to spare!

That's a relief, because I used a LOT of them on an adventure recently, where apparently, a long-dead bard named "Clandra", winged now, appealed to some adventurers to help her reclaim some lost tome of dance, or something. It was going to lead us into and past bugbear territory, which is a horrible idea, and I apparently said as much ... and then was convinced otherwise, charmed.

The trip itself was fine for a while. Harpies and Wyverns, and then an adult GREEN DRAGON, attacked. Several times, however ... I kept being beseiged by visions of Ashena. She was dying in childbirth while I watched, helpless. My companions were attacking her, murdering her while I stood by, helpless ...

My mind was not my own, for a time. My group shied away from me, and I didn't have enough resources to keep a mental shield up at all times, so things got ... tense.

And then we got to Dun Tharos, after meeting up with some ... strange, eldritch, serpent. He kicked our asses during a brief and confused scuffle, then deigned to speak to us, pointing us in the right direction, which was across a chasm. We felled a tree to make a bridge, and THEN hit Dun Tharos, which had a bunch of these Volodni plant guys, poisoning lots of us, and being a general pain in the ass.

We got to a temple, and encountered spirits, and something somebody called "Blightlords", which were powerful foes, who we just barely beat ... and ended up losing poor Carol to, in the process.

All for a farkin' book, one that I tried to dissuade people from going after in the first place.

When we got back, Vick demanded the truth from the winged bitch, which is when I found out that I'd been tampered with, and I lost my cool. She said to check with Shannon that she's not an enemy, and people were saying they know of her, and all kinds of chaos, while some of the party held the book over a fire til she'd admit the truth ... and then she tried to snatch it, flying at us.

I hit her with my sword, and tried to arrest her after Aramis caught her ... but of course, she teleported away from under my arm.

Bitch.

I was upset, and feeling betrayed by having my head messed with, leading to awful visions of seeing Ashena, so I'm sure I acted rashly ... but still. Who DOES that?

Oh yeah, beings that are no longer mortal. No better than the vampires, some of them.

I think I've rambled on this long enough. I'm going to go have an ale, visit the temple of the Triad, and hang around the tourney grounds after. I need to get my head checked again, just to be sure there's no lingering influences ... and I want to see if there's anybody about who can help me with training in the knightly disciplines.

I need to be better than this._

• _It seems so far, that the 'Job', is as I thought. Not exactly something I'll be doing every day in any active sense, but rather keeping my eye on situations, and reporting appropriately when and where needed, until I am tasked.

To that end, I've been spending most of my time in Peltarch, naturally, and was around when the rumors of an undead Wyvern started popping up. Nobody seems to have gotten to tangle with it much, as it seems to flee when confronted, and vanish.

Verika, the shop owner if I'm not mistaken, apparently had the best info about it, and after spotting it with us after a scout's report of it being near, figured out that it's been jumping the cliff to swim downstream … where the water connects to the underside of Jiyyd!

So ... of we went to Jiyyd. I'm happy to report that things look pretty demon-free there lately, but stragglers come and go, so I won't be taking any unnecessary risks anytime soon, for certain. Aside from this one, of course ... or the walk I took to try to get that way a day later, to see if the Trolls could be convinced to die or get out of my way while I explore.

Back to the Wyvern, though ... Verika was right. Sure enough, after fighting back some of those little winged solider demons and dretches, we came across a spot inthe water that rippled strangely, and saw where the creature had dragged itself out of the water, to lair near that little ramp with the altar.

Then the strangest thing happened.

Wyverns are violent and snappy. Undead are generally hungry for living flesh and making others join them in death ... but this thing, even when I got right in it's face, didn't do a thing!

I paused just long enough to have the magic users dispel it, and check it for odd magicks, just to make sure I wasn't about to crush the victim of a curse or something ... which actually ended up earning me mockery, instead of the opposite.

"I thought your little Order was supposed to be a bunch of undead slayers! What are you waiting for?"

That's annoying, but I answered that I'm not ALWAYS a hit first, ask questions later, type ... and finally laid into the thing, after making sure that I was blocking as much of it's path of escape as possible.

It worked, and I am happy to report that my stock of potions and such came in handy, as it wasn't able to hurt me much ... which I can't say for some of the others in the group, who got promptly chewed on when they got too close, once or twice.

Nobody bit it, so I guess that counts as a win all around, which is good enough for me. I collected some samples while I'll be passing onto the Cerulean Knights, just in case they're able to track the source of the critter, but I don't think they're going to find much.

A gnome wizard fella, apparently named Filifred, I've seen around a bit since, and he had some insight.

Apparently, the general knowledge behind things like this, is that a created undead is pretty stupid, unless given specific instructions or training or the like. If the creator is KILLED, you basically have a big dumb husk sitting about, with a few vestiges of it's past life to guide it, at best.

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying it, but that's enough to be useful for me, so there I have it.

As for that Filifred guy ... I went on a bit of a jaunt through all the lizards since he wanted to go down there and explore ... and the little bastard used a chain lightning spell with me in the middle of four enemies!

Granted, I'm not the most convenient guy to cast around, since I'm almost ALWAYS in the middle of a group of enemies, but still. Why that spell!? I got my ass shocked, prompting me to lose my concentration, and get hit more, even though he DID manage to kill a couple with the spell.

The others in the group included Vick the Far Scout, who ... while he's good at being unseen, and can REALLY fark up something's day with a well placed shot, can't really stand in front of a warrior lizard and not get his ass beat up, and could probably work on his running skills. Though, with him protecting the other two, which were the mage and Carol, a pretty bard girl, I get why he stood when he stood on occasion.

Overall, I think I spent about 3000 coin worth of potions on that trip alone ... for about 300 in profit.

Hells.

The orcs were, as usual, accommodating for getting me out of the poor house before I have to arrest myself for vagrancy, but still. I either need to hone my skills to the point where I can get smacked about a LOT less, or hope that this inquisitor job comes with a potions ration or something.

Note to self, reload your Blunderbuss before you go out again. That thing's more useful than you give it credit for.

Hopefully the magistrate gets my recent letter, and I have some direction soon ... otherwise, I guess I'll keep focusing on adventuring, seeing how far I can go to new places, and learning the secret places in the land.

I wonder who I'll be going with next?_

• _Reading over my past writing, I realize that from an outside perspective, I basically wrote down a whole host of things that could easily, and with a little creativity, become goals.

Looking ahead, to these goals, is going to be key, moving forward, I think. Perhaps I'll keep a separate journal, specifically for my thoughts and notes during my active role as an Inquisitor.

For now, however, I think it best to keep a separate journal, a separate "me", and the folded note between this page and the next helped with that decision.

The past is important, even in the now. Do not forget that._

@eb701cb55c:

Mister Cecil,

It is always a bittersweet occurrence when the departure of a valued and honored comrade transpires. I am thrilled to see you moving on and chasing new opportunities that you will most certainly excel at, yet saddened that the Norwick Guard has lost such a fine man. If you ever find yourself questioning your decision to move on to new and exciting things, remember that life is fleeting, and that this decision will provide new adventures and challenges you would otherwise not experience. Never regret this decision.

It has been an honor to serve by your side, and I wish the best for you in your new endeavors. If there ever comes a time where you require my assistance in either a professional or personal capacity, do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for your steadfast dedication to Norwick.

Very respectfully,

Hannibal

_In one way, this letter make me deeply miss Norwick, all at once, to the point of nearly taking my horse down there just to spend some time in familiar territory.

But then what happens if someone asks for help, or the guard is needed? I don't need to go getting comments from D'Cameron, or looks of betrayal from the younger folks. Nor do I need more more reasons to second-guess myself. I'm going to need to be a LOT more sure of myself in this role, and the appropriate powers that come with it. Gods I hope I'm ready for this.

In another way, this letter held much needed validation. Hannibal didn't guilt me, or express disappointment in me, or devalue my future pursuits. That strengthens my belief that I am leaving the place in good hands, even without me. I retained a friend and comrade, and feel better about the decision now than I have at any point thus far.

This is good. I can move forward more confidently now, and am looking forward to my first new assignment.

I should go talk to someone about warding documents against prying eyes. I have a feeling I should keep the other journal much more safe._

• _In the quiet of the inn, I find myself with a pitcher of ale, a couple of destroyed inn meals, and a bit of quiet background noise, which at this moment, is those waitresses who must think me half deaf from my noisy armor.

They chatter away about everything, and makes me realize that I'm going to need to spend more time in places like this, to pick up rumors and the like, if I'm going to be any good at my new job. Sure, I know that I got hired because I'll likely make a good blunt instrument … but I would rather surprise her, and everyone else, by being legitimately good at the job.

That's what I did in Norwick.

The chatter started the day I got the letter, sitting across from the Magistrate, somehow managing not to flip the table on her when my chair unexpectedly broke underneath me. I'd say it was a pain in the ass, but my armor prevented any unfortunate splintering, so it I'll leave it as an inconvenience.

The girls saw the note pass, overheard our conversation, and now stare and stop what they're doing for a moment every time I walk in. I cannot help but wonder if it's because they're afraid of Borodin, or unsure of me ... or something else altogether?

Probably the first two.

Now, as I sit in my new home, I have time to reflect on the past ... but I can't. The future is what's important, so I need to write down some goals, some ... thing, to keep me going in the right direction. I swore to myself already, that this would not change me from being me, except to improve me. I fear not being labeled "Lap Dog." I'm a soldier, and I intend to act like it, even if I relinquished my former position.

Which makes me think. How are people going to react?

I think the Knights will see it as a good thing, at least from the Top, as I'll have greater access to information, supplies, and authority to act on things, and will therefore be able to help point US in the right directions too.

Caling specifically ... I don't have a handle on. She showed some trust in me, but with other comments, I can't help but think it was a test. How do some people even keep track of these webs they weave?

Keerla and I talked too, and I still have absolutely zero handle on her, either. She seems mostly motivated by feelings, and impulse, and shows an unwavering loyalty to her 'friends', though as evidenced recently, perhaps her friendship comes too easily.

Laerune.

Dammit all to the hells, Laerune.

From bitching me out in the Ogre Woods after I yelled at you first (Admittedly), to actually -enjoying- fighting by you on another occasion or two, to to suspecting your motives and perhaps everything about you, to your confession, you haven't given anybody time to keep up, or learn the real you. IS there a real you, currently? Or is it just the most recent reaction to your circumstances, as the only thing we can see?

I haven't visited her in jail, because I know that she'll immediately assume I'm there to "I told you so" her, or suspect something else. I voted to have her out of the Knights, but that's problematic too! Suppose her act of turning herself in, and contrition, and being ready to accept consequences, is genuine? Then we're doing her a disservice in shunning her, and hindering her becoming the person she may want to be, and that we would ultimately prefer.

On the other hand, regardless of whether or not she meant it ... if we don't boot her, then where's the standard? Our reputation hadn't had time to be established before the big fat stain on it, would keeping her make it worse?

How the HELL do you make a decision between the individual, and the organization? Usually, I choose the individual. As hard as a group is to set up and maintain, large things are hard to kill, and can survive shit from individuals. Those, though ... are easily lost, swayed, influenced, and harmed. They, therefore, require more loyalty, care, and work.

If you train an army, the weak need to be taken care of my the strong, even in the ranks. The goal, is to get everybody strong together. Sure, you can simply BOOT the undesirables ... but then you need to replace them. Lifting up the ones who need help makes more sense, for both the time, AND the money, in the investment. It also gains a MUCH more loyal soldier, to have had help instead of being forsaken. Those are the soliders who would die for their city, their men, their beliefs.

Tindra, one of the leaders, is in a shitty spot. People are going to look to her for advice. People are going to hold HER accountable. The purpose of having multiple leaders, was to keep everything from being on one, and prevent shutdown if one went MIA for a while, but with Aoth leaving (Which I totally respect, and cannot fault her for), and Shae unavailable, it falls solely on her.

Normally, I'd step up. It's what I did in Norwick. It's what I do on patrols, or adventure, when leadership falters. I'm not a very charismatic leader, but people seem happy to let me do so anyone on occasion, which is good enough for now.

But now, I've set Norwick behind me, and have a new path. A new path, with new goals, new expectations, and new alliances. Will Vick keep offering advice, because he likes me? Will I still catch shit from people for being in the Order, despite my new position?

How are being even going to REACT to that? I know of a few Peltarch folks who are going to think it odd that I'd ditch Norwick to come work for the city, and think he some kind of allegiance flipping merc, but those ones can go sod off. I'm more worried about the ones who will see me as some simple to fool country rube, and try to use me to position themselves in some kind of advantage.

I think Kathea is going to make approving noises, and make those almost discomforting stares in my direction, like she's either trying to imagine me out of my armor, or imagine what I'd look like skinned. I can never really tell which look it is. Both make me vaguely uncomfortable.

Rasuil will probably laugh, and make the lap dog comment, but mean nothing ill by it.

Aoth may caution me not to be used as a pawn, but offer no real tips on how to avoid it .

Ros will make a dick joke.

Most importantly ... what will Ashena think?

It's been some time since her last letter, and I hope all is well.

I should put this quill down before I need to open another pot of ink, and I fear my fingers are going to keep these stains forever already. I wonder if inquisitors have to write a lot of reports..._

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ryM7fEYVs - Accompanying music

_It's been many moons since I've heard the voice of the Lion. Still, I know he watches. The last battle where I was sure that I saw him, that he fought beside me in more than just my mind, was years past.

When a Lion matures, it makes it's own pack.

Is that what's happening, now?

Much has happened, of late, and now I teeter on the brink of decisions. So much has changed, and yet if I look behind me, so little came of it.

Norwick is still Norwick. It's a little less brutal since my arrival, a little more restrained and just, and a little more welcoming in general. It's amazing what smacking some heads around will do, which is baffling in it's irony!

Now, I hear the drums of war on the wind, rumors of the return of the Creel, even while I'm stuck in my own battles. Battles at home, fought without swords, but instead with words and rumors and secrets, and lies.

I joined the Knights Requietum, for my want to be a knight, but also … in my wish to DO MORE. That in itself has been a battle. A battle of will, and wits, and patience, and trust. The battle is far from over, at the moment, as well. I will not walk away from it just yet. Not when there is yet a way to win this fight.

As for my home ... as much as it pains me to say it, neither I, nor Norwick, have that much to offer one another. They keep me in a job, I do the job, and keep them in good standing with others as an added bonus. I do, however, think they'll do just fine without me, especially given that I'll hopefully leave behind a legacy of good discipline, and good deeds.

Good is such a strange term, too. Why would anybody NOT do good? It feels good to do, and is usually helpful in the long-term, too. Sure, it's WAY more likely to be remembered if you wrong someone, but it's also way more likely to be something positive if you help someone. That's simple enough that I understood it, even before I left the tribe.

I'm a storm of emotions right now, as I make this decision. After the trial, which ended in the most surprising fashion I could imagine, I was approached by Lady Vlana Borodin, Magistrate of Peltarch. Yes, that one. "The Viper", by her unlikely to be said to her face nickname.

Supposedly, she has a habit of turning parties judged as guilty, to stone. She's not the pious type of magistrate like Shannon, and she frankly unsettles me slightly, but in a way that I can't help but respect her forthright attitudes, and intelligence. These are all good things, in my eyes, especially given the talks of 'leadership' I've had with people lately, where the biggest problems that seem to crop up, are a lack of it.

Perhaps it's time I grow, learn some new things, put myself in a new environment, and see what shakes loose. Perhaps the Lion will see fit to walk beside me still, or give me a sign if I've made a mistake that will take me from the path He wants me on.

This letter beside me has that. A new path. A place to grow. I will find new foes, uncover secrets, and be a force for righting wrongs, if I'm lucky. If I'm not, then perhaps the Magistrate's reference made by another inquisitor will show it's face. I don't know how much I'd enjoy being a "LapDog."

I pity the lap that tries to pull ME in. It was bad enough when my chair broke under me while looking at the letter she passed over to me._

The page is creased, and returned to later, obviously, written in new ink, darker, and fresh.

_Inquisitor Cecil Northman. Fancy that. A new job, a new path, a new life, even.

Time to see what's next, and pray that I can do and be the good I wish to see in the world.

Perhaps these writings will serve me again one day, should I ever lose sight of who I am, and what I stand for.

Until then … May the Lion keep me._

• _What do you do, when you're asking for help by a hin fellow, looking for another hin fellow, that turns into an awkward manhunt in a bar with less than savory entertainment?

Apparently, ring up over a half-a-thousand gold bar tab while looking for clues, and discover that youe leads … led you to an old companion, and to dusting off the ole Planar Adventuring gear.

Things got weird, with some legless floating weirdo attacking people in the docks, and abducting them with his ... apparently pocket-plane-balls, which some of the others involve calling them poke balls. I think that just sounds uncomfortable. . .

We found the missing hin WITH Roderick, of course, have a solid lead on the case itself, and got everything we could take care of, taken care of. The rest for now, is the wait. We need to wait to see if one of those balls can generate an 'address' in Roderick's machine, which he apparently completed after I managed my mission of getting acid for him, for the power source.

He let us test the machine, too... putting us in something he called a 'simulation' which ... admittedly, didn't work so well. We still got rewarded for our troubles, and everyone survived, so at least there's that. Overall, some were impressed, others not so much, but now my little secret's out, so we'll see if I get any questions about that, or if people will just take it all in stride that I'm pals with a plane-striding fellow with Godlike machines, and a penchant for mystery.

I hope Ashena returns from yet another trip to her family's holdings again, soon. I think she would absolutely love Roderick's adventures, and I would love to see her around to witness the end of the demons and the like.

Perhaps soon._

• _It's been some time since writing, but my time has not been spent idly.

With Albryanna gone to be Helm's eternal Watcher, she's left her possessions to me to have an auction, and see that the proceeds go to worthy causes as I see fit. I'd complain of the burden of responsibility, but complaining isn't my style.

If I DID complain of anything, it would be at the lack of accountability in the Requietum. Purviews are being ignored for the sake of people being scared that we're just going to solve everything with the sword, which is foolish. The whole purpose of this coalition was to broaden the aspects that the old group once covered, and NOT fall prey to rash and zealot-driven decision.

Some of the members seem like they're constantly hiding things, which makes me nervous. Already, every time there's mention of the group in public, I hear suspicion. If not suspicion, then dount as to it's efficacy.

I'm wondering if I jumped too fast at the opportunity, but part of me thinks I need to treat it like I did the militia. I wasn't going to change the history of heavyhanded thugishness that we were known for in a night. But enough stepping in when I saw it, speaking out against it's continuation, and showing people the opposite, seems to have had an effect. It took years, but it worked. Will the same work here, or will I make a better change by leaving until they've worked out a system of accountability, rather than letting things be run haphazardly, with disregard to roles, codes, and actual purpose?

For now, the most important task at hand, is preparation. I've made an announcement to the Militia, and hope that Hannibal returns soon, reads over my words, and says much the same to the townsfolk.

Rass the Red Dragon, appears to be back, and is nesting in the old Gypsy Camp, with her own tribesman followers patrolling the roads and attacking those who venture near. I've had the patrols shift some priorities, asked the scouts to keep an eye on the North Borders, and inquired into the state of our fire response process, to make sure that if somebody does piss her off, and leads her HERE, we're better prepared for what comes.

A Red Dragon in the lands is concerning enough, but knowing full well that Ky the White Dragon has claim on lands very nearby, has me much more concerned about what's going to happen when those two inevitably disagree on territory claims.

This should be fun…_

• An MCPlay approved account of a character who didn't get to be in the latest demon event.

_Today, was the day I've waited for. For quite some time, I've been on the sidelines of this demon mess, and today, I got to make a difference.

Granted, I had a dragon on my side, and a mage of miss Maria's power, and -then- some, so it wasn't exactly what I had pictured this fight looking like, but it was close enough!

Apparently, rumors of a Balor (Or Balord as the red haired Druidess called it) guarding a lich's phylactery had led us all to Jiyyd, and down into the ole destroyed Dwarf temple. I don't know what happened down there except that they brought out some bodies of their fallen, including that little Druidess, but said that they had succeeded.

For us, outside, it was also a success. A success in that nobody fell, but not for a lack of effort on the demons part. The group had assembled, and the mage looked at us, and told us that once the group entered the caves, that the demons were sure to have noticed us all now, and would attack once they figured out that we knew what we were after.

I guess we're just lucky that they didn't clue in -before- we all had time to assemble!

It started with the sky going darker, and filling with shrieks. I was about to roar back at them, and had JUST set my feet to take the weight of descending, screaming, demon … when that DRAGON that the mage and Druid lady had with us, Roared first.

Demons scattered, and their attack which had looked SO planned, like a dozen diving hawks, was chaotic and ineffective. The fight was on!

Archers loosed arrows, fighters rushed the landed foes, and in the distance, we could hear the sounds of pounding feet and flapping wings, gnashing teeth and scraping claws. This was merely the faster of the forces to take us on, it was clear ... and the real fight was going tobe on us far too soon.

I hoped that the group in the tunnels had rear guards, in case we fell ... and had no more time for thoughts as those daring sword-wielding demons ran in, their wings propelling them faster than a normal man can run, and then I did all of my thinking with my sword.

I admit, I considered my axe and my shield, but if I had to bleed a bit more to kill these things faster, then less of us would fall. With that plan firmly in mind, I set to swinging.

I am sure that the Lion was behind me, this day. My feet found purchase everywhere I stepped, despite the blood slick ground, my sword struck true again, and again, and again, and my allies were beside me, behind me, and in front of me. They fought, they screamed, they healed, the fought some more, they bled, and they killed ... when someone fell, they were quickly revived before it was too late to save them, and dragged back to safety to regroup. When someone got too far forward and began to get surrounded, several of us fought our way to them, and were rewarded with the backs of overeager enemies.

We made good use of that, reformed ranks, and resumed the battle. I nearly fell once, against one of the larger ones, hit with their spell and beset by their claws. I stood there, stunned while I was taking blows, and my eyes cleared just in time to see my own blood in the way of them, which I wiped clear, took a breath to make my last stand with a deifant roar and buy just a little more time, and then everything went white for that bright moment when you're healed by such a powerful spell that your world shakes.

Dismay crossed the demon's features, wiping off the victorious rictus of crooked teeth and slavering tongue. A cry of pain issued forth from the very same maw as my sword bit true, once, twice, and arrows struck it distractingly in the side of it's big stupid head. Now, it was making ITS last stand, and as I stepped back in case it fell, it RUSHED forward as if to chase me in desperation to not let me escape.

Mistake.

Wide open. An opportunity. It's giant running steps to cut me off left it open, both of it's clawed hands raised ... so I swung like a child playing with a stick and ball, and cleaved through the great big thing, taking my sword through IT and into the next foe who decided on the worst possible time to come at my side and flank me, who got a face full of steel for his trouble.

The rest of the fight was a similar blur of events to this, but only one big guy was mine along to fight past that point. We survived, bloodied and laughing, while the victors from the cave exited the cave. We split then, to recover in Jiyyd, and drink to our victory.

I hope the dead were raised, and returned, to continue this fight. I am not part of the planning meetings, so I don't know what else there is to do ... but I am sure this isn't yet over.

I'll be ready._