Evil in Name only

• Not exactly. A single summon monster scroll can be good, or evil.. depends on the creature the user produces with it. The scroll itself is not aligned in either way.

• @9371e22768=Wywernywin:

While this is sidetracking the topic…

@9371e22768=d20srd.org:

When you use a summoning spell to summon an air, chaotic, earth, evil, fire, good, lawful, or water creature, it is a spell of that type.

… so, if you summon evil thing, you're using evil spell.

so its the scroll itself, not the caster?

• While this is sidetracking the topic…

@f868f6bfb9=d20srd.org:

When you use a summoning spell to summon an air, chaotic, earth, evil, fire, good, lawful, or water creature, it is a spell of that type.

… so, if you summon evil thing, you're using evil spell.

• Hmmm, now that you mention it I'm sure I've heard rumors of Dwin flying… :twisted: stir stir

Evil is great fun, evil with a twist is just plain glorious. I'm not a huge fan of sob stories, which everyone (character) seems to have, but to somehow twist that into the will to do evil is fun to watch, it's fun to do, and it's fun to hear about. In a lot of ways, in my personal opinion, a truly evil character should be just as challenging but as rewarding to play as a truly good Paladin. Narfell could do with more PC villains. 😄

Subtle or openly devious, there's always a place in my heart for evil. 🙂

• Do they know Dwin isn’t a mage?
    See that’s a big assumption right there, I mean in many fantasy literature, isn’t the vile sorcerer or demon worshiper often the most innocuous character, hiding behind a well-planned front. So again, do they know definitely he isn’t a mage?

So seeing a character summon a fiend, my first thought IC wouldn’t be, “Ah there’s one them damn rogues at it again”, it would be “Foul demonologist!” ::Smite::

🙂

• It's funny. There's been people who have remarked to Tindra (on more than one occasion) how Dwin is untrustworthy, greedy, and doesn't care about anybody.

She tends to disagree with most of it. At least the untrustworthy and doesn't care parts. They just don't approach him the right way (and no, I'm not gonna post how best to approach Dwin, find out IG 😉 ).

• @f99bebf1a3=EodenValmer:

Actually sounds like cause and effect in an IC fashion, metagaing would be to know that Dwin was a rogue and as such could use UMD….

Sudden knowledge of class and the features if said class is far greater a metagaming feat over “I saw X summon a Y!”

lol, i think most PC's would know Dwin is not a mage or a bard by trade… that leaves only a few options, no? 🙂

• Dwin nor I have any idea how these things work.

he read a scroll, something appears. if people are going to make assumptions based on that, then so be it.

the fact remains that Dwin's alignment isnt evil. 😎

• Summoning fiends out in the open in front of everybody isn't metagaming… if you're summoning evil things, then one would assume you're evil.

• Actually sounds like cause and effect in an IC fashion, metagaing would be to know that Dwin was a rogue and as such could use UMD….

Sudden knowledge of class and the features if said class is far greater a metagaming feat over “I saw X summon a Y!”

• @fcbbbac46a=SummonerX:

@fcbbbac46a=Clan:

Perception is everything…

Dwin is treated by many (mostly older players) like an evil scoundrel, yet when challenged to cite anything evil he's ever done, no one can

Well, I did see Dwin summon a fiendish animal using a summon scroll right in front of everybody… that gives away that he's pretty much evil.

Sounds like some meta-gaming to me 🙂 especially since Dwin isn't evil. Rogues can use scroll, doesn't mean they know what's always going to happen when they do.

• @3e3fb125a6=RYM:

@3e3fb125a6=Teringer:

Humorously, nobody can cite anything evil that my banite has done either, but the label has gotten more strife from both sides of the table than I care to even start on!

Ya mean using spells that blow up heads aint evil? <.<

They're only "evil" if they use the spells on -good- guys. Nobody cares if you blow the head off of some Derro, I mean honestly. ANYBODY can do that.

Summoner just thinks all Banites are evil because they wear black and chuckle darkly and give infernal nods….

• @fabd6fe2a5=Clan:

Dwin is treated by many (mostly older players) like an evil scoundrel, yet when challenged to cite anything evil he's ever done, no one can

Well, I did see Dwin summon a fiendish animal using a summon scroll right in front of everybody… that gives away that he's pretty much evil.

As for the banites, dont get me started 😛 . Plenty of things to indicate they are evil. (one being that each of them has the "evil enough" achievement... all of them smirk at least 50 times a day)

My chaotic evil fighter doesn't really hide his deeds. He's done plenty of evil in front of a live audience, and doesn't care who sees. I would call him a "successful" evil mostly because no one has acted against him as of yet. Though being secretive tends to let you be evil longer in the long run. So if you're just starting out and want to be evil... better to hide it until you plant yourself in a safe group, level, position of power, etc etc..

• There is defonatly plenty of sly evil out there, most of which I'm sure I have no idea about. It is defonatly the most effective way to make a truly evil PC.

However, there is something rewarding about walking into town and having everyone and there mother react to you. Such reputation often leads to goodie goodie PC's not "letting" you travel with them, which can be a major downer if that is your only Pc or your main PC.

It would be difficult for some charicters, say a well established Banite, to try and play the secretive evil. So this mantel often falls uppon us.

• @61b9f70070:

Perception is everything in narfell. To be a successfull evil charicter all you really have to do is get everyone to think your evil, then do nothing wrong ever.

No, no. Do wrong and never get caught. Personally, I hate having a character attributed to doing all these cool things, and never having actually done them.

There are many times I miss playing Yolande. She helped bring down the Gypsy camp, and her guilt just slid off of her because so many people helped defend her. “Why oh why?”, people would say, “Would she bring down the Gypsy camp, and then fight and give her life to get it back?” Well, there were reasons. Perfectly solid, evil, IC reasons. It was fun playing a character who sacrificed and manipulated other people. My only failure was the difficulty killing other PC’s. It’s a rather fine line you have to walk between having fun and letting others have fun too. There are three PC’s Yolande should have killed outright, and made darn sure they never came back. She had both means and motive. However, I tended to stick with permanently harming NPCs, and manipulating PC’s to further Yolande’s goals.

No. For me it’s far more fun to BE evil, slide out from others accusations, and look good doing it. Because in the end, nobody is entirely sure what horrible things you’ve REALLY done…and that scares them.

• @1a6a9bbb1e=Grak01:

@1a6a9bbb1e=Clan:

Dwin is treated by many (mostly older players) like an evil scoundrel, yet when challenged to cite anything evil he's ever done, no one can :).

cough cough Norwick infamous land grab cough cough:))

…again, citing something "evil"?

• @097ac31ba8=Teringer:

Humorously, nobody can cite anything evil that my banite has done either, but the label has gotten more strife from both sides of the table than I care to even start on!

mwhahahaha vald can!

i kinda agree that perception is everything, people see one of my chars as a sort of bully, yet he in his eyes does not do anything wrong so it works from both sides

• @7d3db939c0=Teringer:

Ya mean using spells that blow up heads aint evil? <.<

• ICC

@5561a19963=Clan:

Dwin is treated by many (mostly older players) like an evil scoundrel, yet when challenged to cite anything evil he's ever done, no one can :).

cough cough Norwick infamous land grab cough cough:))

• I played an evil character, she never got much stick from anyone over it. She was neutral evil though, so she wasn't out on any grand evil plan, just out for herself. Worked out nicely for her mostly.