Scary Memory '04

• @42c26a7269=Kerby:

That was a lot of fun for me too. In fact, so much so that at the end I think I possessed one of the frost giants so we could take a group shot of the dwarves and their nemesis for the family scrapbook. I MAY still even have that on a backup disc someplace. I need to go dig for that.

That was the "Oy" shot. It was linked to in the Council of Moradin. I had a bunch of pics there. But I don't think I have them anymore.

• @4d65a40fbd=Clan:

In that magical week between Xmas and New Years (in 2005) a bunch of us dwarves went ogre hunting in the cold caves.

Dwin, Foilir, Ragnar, Krig, Maythor… Kerby was DM'ing.

I hadnt ever been there before. I vaguely remember Foilir and Dwin hiding behind the others.

I was physically shaking. Something about that place really gives me the creeps. Plus it was freezing in my basement where my computer was 🙂

Anyway, when I think of scary times on narf, I think of that one. It was one of the most fun nights I've ever spent playing Dwin... I think we have some screenies of it someplace...

That was a lot of fun for me too. In fact, so much so that at the end I think I possessed one of the frost giants so we could take a group shot of the dwarves and their nemesis for the family scrapbook. I MAY still even have that on a backup disc someplace. I need to go dig for that.

• ICC

The scariest time on Narfell was in 2005 when I was playing 'Morik Gyser' for the Black Sails and we went on a quest. Actually, Deacon just felt like sailing. Well, about nine of us, including Nicah, huddled on the boat. I'm not sure how it happened, but after a bit of sailing we ended up in a cave. After a whole lotta walking, and no enemy encounters, we finally got into a large cavern. I remember talking to Deacon the whole time, asking about treasure and what we were going to spend it on. Well, in the cavern was one house. Deacon, for whatever reason, decided to knock on the door.

Nothing came out.

So we decide to look around the cavern, and eventually we find a chest. We took one step towards the chest and a hag walks out of the house. She walks over to us Sails, and looks at Deacon and Morik. After a minute she only looks at Morik. Then she starts talking about how she needs a child, and that Morik would make for excellent breeding. All the other Sails just stand there. I was a level two fighter then, so I meekly followed the hag back to her house, honestly thinking the rest of the Sails would continue to pillage and leave me there. After about three minutes of one-on-one talk with the hag and her plans for me, Deacon and a few other Sails charge her. I remember her casting 'Hold Person' on Deacon and him failing the save. All I was thinking was, "Well…..looks like we're all screwed now, huh."

But then Nicah comes out of nowhere and beats the crap outta the hag, and the whole cavern starts to cave in. Being pirates, we all looted the chest ~then~ ran. On our way back to the boat, the 'dock' had caved in and was simply an open expanse of water. We all stripped to our skivvies and dived in. I hoped the DM wasn't going to make swim checks. He didn't. Nobody died, but I got pretty scared there.

• @be412c9b2e=Robyn:

“Um, Maya?”, Adam spoke up in a hushed whisper looking rather upset, “Let’s run”

It made me laugh reading this and realizing that'd probably be almost on cue to how Zyph would react/what he'd say.

And Robyn's one of those characters that's always fun to bring up in a historical sense 🙂

• During ’04, I was playing both Robyn and Maya.

Robyn

Sadly, most players around now don’t remember Robyn, the Archer/Fencer who had the little house in Jiyyd. I started her in January 2003 as a wide-eyed 16 year old who fled corrupt law enforcement in the Great Dale, and she died during the Defiler Event in December ’04.

Although her final death certainly qualifies as scary, it was the sword she possessed and the duels it required that always scared the crap out of me.

Robyn was the owner of a “Blade of Tyr”, one of several holy weapons created to administer justice. The problem with owning this sword was that (a) it required you to duel to the death to keep it, and (b) it had a mind of its own.

I always hated those duels. The DM (Kanen) had this curious knack of having them occur right before Robyn leveled. Not only were they duels were to the death, but they were always against some nefarious enemy 1 level higher than Robyn. Onlookers were also warned that any interference would result in harsh retribution or death. Ask Zyphlin some time 😉

If Robyn survived the duel, the sword got better, and she got to live until the next time. I always found myself jittery at the end of each duel.

For Narfell history buffs, Robyn’s sword and bow are still in game. The sword resides in the Temple of Tyr in Peltarch, and one player still has her Darkwood Elven crafted bow. I won’t say who though.

Maya

I’ve lost count of the number of times Maya’s been in scary situations. I’ve played the character for almost 5 years. There are a few however, that stand out –

Dueling Grax – Oh yes, let’s duel a fire giant with subdual off. However, the duel was “The first person to be badly wounded”, not to the death, but when I asked the DM what would happen if the giant hit me at “injured” and killed me in one swing, or simply killed me swinging before I could back up…which was quite likely, he simply replied, “You die”. Maya won that duel with a lucky power attack max-damage critical hit, which brought the giant to badly wounded in two blows. However, on the same round, its next swing hit Maya for a critical, bringing her to near death. Grax was honorable though, and acknowledged Maya’s hit was first.

First Trip to the Lost City – The Lost City was always terrifying back in the day, and Maya’s first trip was no exception. We lost countless people in the first expedition. Maya died twice, but made divine intervention both times. That got a chuckle out of the DM’s because I had just submitted a request for Maya to be a “Champion of Tempus”

When you made DI back then, all of your equipment was stripped and put on the ground. Maya huddled naked in the corner, unable to move and get her things because some VERY high level undead things were roaming nearby. She sat that way for almost 30 minutes before a rescue party came.

Dueling Atol – Atol was the bandit chief, back when the Eastlanders roamed the pass. He was a legendary arch-villain that no one could face. A 17th level fighter when the highest level character on the server was 12th. He had enough magic items to make him glow like a Christmas tree. Nobody in his right mind dueled Atol one on one. No one.

Well, Maya did.

It certainly wasn’t by choice. Maya was going down the pass to from Jiyyd to Peltarch with her husband, Adam Bromley. Most of the Eastlanders that came after her were cut down quickly. However, a particularly large group of them came after her at once, and Maya just went into a rage. Maya had a great axe back then, and did a lot of damage when she was upset. One bandit took over 90, and another over a 100 in one swing.

Well, Adam and Maya made it to Peltarch, rested, hung around for awhile and then came back. When we came back, Atol was waiting there at the bridge.

“You the one been humiliating my men?”, Atol asked

“Is not too hard”, Maya replied.

“Um, Maya?”, Adam spoke up in a hushed whisper looking rather upset, “Let’s run”

Maya shrugged Adam off. I actually hated to emote that, because I saw “Atol”, over this bandits head, so I knew who he was, but Maya didn’t. The whole scary part was emoting Maya’s confidence and bravado because she didn’t know who Atol was, not really. I did, and that was scary. Then after she found out, she wasn’t about to back down. Tempus really doesn’t like that.

At that point, I was resigned to Maya’s death. There was no way I could beat Atol. There was just no way. Maya’s only hope was to earn his respect. So I hit improved power attack, and prayed for a whole slew of 20’s.

I only got one

Maya hit Atol for a lot of damage on a non critical hit on her first swing. He grinned a bit, rubbing his chin, and then proceeded to humiliate Maya. But she earned his respect, and he let her live.

• The Halfling Defence League

Back in '04 when Gears was a strapping young lad of 4 or 5 levels and sitting 'round the ol' Norwick fire, some elven wizard, I can't remember who, came up and proposed to him and a few others that they go over to the Windy Plains and try to take on a few of the tougher orcs. Gears, being Gears, said ok and went along with this elf and a few other lowbies…It didn't end that well.

We got there, hung around the edge of the zone, and took out a few of the smaller ones without too much trouble. But then we see a Destroyer...and the elf says he'll cast hold person, and to just run if it doesn't work. It doesn't. Destroyer charges, buuuut some of the people don't run. So everyone sticks around, attacking this mammoth of orcdom...After one or two die the rest of us run back to the safer plains. The orc follows, we scatter.

At some point in here, a DM takes control of the orc and teaches us a lesson about leading dangerous creatures into low zones. It runs down and slaughters everyone, except Gears who streaks up the hill while it's preoccupied and hides. Hid there for a good while, watching it stab everyone else on the plains below, and then start sniffing around for the remaining member...so I sneaked around to the other side of the hill and stood still for 10 minutes wondering if I was gonna get skewered. Gears lived to tell the tale though...thank god for Hide and Move Silently.

• I think my scariest moment was when Elissa was south of Norwick and trying her preach routine on a couple of people. And a certain enemy of hers goaded another character into attacking. Lethal PK was looming very close nearby.

I didn't back down, even though thanks to a crash on my side, and the faulty spell preservation scripts at the time (Cure spell memorized => all spells lost) Elissa had not a single spell available. I knew the only hope was in getting pity from someone, for a defenseless woman being slaughtered.

But it came as it had to come, lethal PK was granted and executed.

Elissa didn't fight back, just took it, and in seconds lay bleeding on the ground, losing HPs rapidly.

Oddly enough it was Myth that saved her, who hadn't been around, and thus probably hadn't been talked out of helping Elissa…

• @a8c72ca60c=Clan:

@a8c72ca60c=Herrold:

@a8c72ca60c=Clan:

I vaguely remember Foilir and Dwin hiding behind the others.

You remember poorly. You were hiding. Although trying to disarm a trap when the giants respawned did almost cost me dearly.

You really think that was more frightening than the time Seraphaine had us trapped in the windy plains cave with that n00b? With the drums beating and just you and me on the inside vs that horde?

No, that was scary too but i wanted to leave something for you to talk about.

Was Tala there for that one? I feel like I remember this… the cold caves that is. Didn't we have to form a rescue party for the other one? has a vague recollection of that too

• @928eb491dc=Herrold:

@928eb491dc=Clan:

You remember poorly. You were hiding. Although trying to disarm a trap when the giants respawned did almost cost me dearly.

You really think that was more frightening than the time Seraphaine had us trapped in the windy plains cave with that n00b? With the drums beating and just you and me on the inside vs that horde?

No, that was scary too but i wanted to leave something for you to talk about.

• @71e3af0e76=Clan:

• Scariest event ever for me in Narfell was in 2004.

It was made, absolutely completely clear to me and the others involved in this event, that if we should fail we would likely die, and if we died, it would be a permadeath. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, don't even think someone is going to at least get your gear and put it too good use. Characters retired. We were given the option not to do this, but it wouldn't have been IC and frankly you gotta risk to gain.

The three of us were in disguises, in a hoarsgate shop, trying to purchase an important item to complete what we were trying to do. Things were going good at first as the shopkeep left the room to get something.

and time passed.

and more time passed.

And i seriously began to worry a bit, as I imagine Zyph would've been in game as well. "This is taking too long".

The shopkeep returned, looked at us…and then addressed one of the characters by their real name.

I think all three of us sent "OH S--T" tells to each other (without the bleep) almost simultaneously. We tried to play it off, to act as if we didn't know what he was talking about. After all, persuation can be useful, sometimes you can make someone disbelieve the truth if you deny it hard enough. Besides, we had to get it to work because if it didn't...there was likely a very distinct reason why he knew who we were despite our disguises, and it would not be a good reason.

Unfortunantly, any attempts to try and convince the "Shopkeep" that we weren't who we were ended when the high level, BEAST, of a monk with a bald head and red robes walked in.

I was beginning to think up what my next character would be. I remember being on literally the edge of my chair, and honest to goodness I probably had a very very nervous look on my face throughout this, if not a completely dejected one when the NPC walked in.

Needless to say...Zyph isn't permakilled. Things ended up working out, and the scariest moment turned later into one of the moments in Narf that will forever stick in my mind as one of my top gaming memories, and one I enjoy keeping personally to myself. But that event taught me that if you get the characters and the players pulled into a plot enough, you can get out some real, true emotions...and those times will be the most memorable and fun times you have on the game.

• A memory from 2004:

One of the scariest for me was when level four Ginger and her friend Aaimie were kidnapped by slavers. The rescue party found Ginger in a cage near the gypsy camp, but Aaimie was still missing. Ginger tagged along to rescue Aaimie, and ended up on the far side of the gypsy camp near the entrance to the gnoll woods. There was no "strong vine" escape in those days - only the gypsy gate. If you were caught on the wrong side of it, you had to wait for a camper to let you in.

Ginger's best friend and fellow halfling Frem Farfell died to fighting the gnolls, and the rest of the group very quickly went onwards to the main gnoll map - without killing the gnolls that were in the area. I and another lowbie hin got left behind, so we hid near Frem's body. After about fifteen minutes, the lowbie hin was spotted and slaughtered by gnolls. It was over in seconds. If I'd made a move to help, it would have been a quick trip to the fugue for me too.

I stayed hidden for an hour, pretending to hide in a tree, as gnolls paced back and forth inches away from me. It was terrifying - there was nowhere to run, and I couldn't even move without risking being seen. Finally the group came back and killed the gnolls. I think Frem got rezzed. And a short time later, the server crashed and I lost any event XP I got for it. :lol: Ah, the good old days of Narf.

• ICC

one of the most scarriest moments i had with KULL was during the Eastlanders war, we went to this cave and we arrived at this battle field and sudently RASS showed up with that aura of fear that surroudns her and everyone failed the safe and started running arround like headless chickens, the same happend to KULL, but rass decided to pick on kull and was there slaping him and kicking him around, :rofl: and then she began to prod kull´s belly to see if he was plump and beefy to make a stew out of him :lol:
    eventualy she found out that KULL wasn´t beefy enough and let him go so he could get more weight so that she could return one day to eat him lol.
    Lol, it was a funny as hell momnet!

• I hear ya on the whole spiders still scaring you despite them being easy. I feel the same way with bugbears… even when they're relatively easy for Telli they still give me the heebie jeebies cause of how Lily died to them years ago. That and Orc Destroyers.... I miss them guys from 2004ish 5ish? Scary scary...

• *Accidentally attacking Atol in a battle (related elsewhere)

*Going down into the depths of the Norwick crypts with Khaya and Equinox, encountering the Big Bad, and spending a good 10 minutes running around with 2 HP with red text everywhere.

*Being chased by a balor through the Rawlins (it turned out to be a shortie with a graphics glitch).

*Waking Rass up and asking her for a favor.

*Several meetings with the knight from DK's pre-Lathanderite plot.. that didn't involve actual adrenaline so much as a well-crafted feel of creepy.

-Lagermane

• In that magical week between Xmas and New Years (in 2005) a bunch of us dwarves went ogre hunting in the cold caves.

Dwin, Foilir, Ragnar, Krig, Maythor… Kerby was DM'ing.

I hadnt ever been there before. I vaguely remember Foilir and Dwin hiding behind the others.

I was physically shaking. Something about that place really gives me the creeps. Plus it was freezing in my basement where my computer was 🙂

Anyway, when I think of scary times on narf, I think of that one. It was one of the most fun nights I've ever spent playing Dwin... I think we have some screenies of it someplace...

• Legion

Actually, a bug with my client happens like that some times. I'll notice that something is hitting me and I can't see anything. When I hold down tab I can see its name. Going in and out of the zone always fixes it though.

• My fav scare was an invisible monster killing guards by the norwick south gate. You would see the footsteps and then poof, nother guard becomes a shower of blood and bone. NOBODY wanted to mess with it.

Scares the bejeebers out of me and a few others

m