Tips for Paladins

• Shadevar's Guide to Paladins

Many new paladin characters have come to the server recently, and to that end, I've decided to write up a little something about what definately is one of the most difficult classes to keep in play RP-wise…next to the druids that is So let's start off with what a paladin really is.

Roots of the paladin: medieval knights

The paladin character idea has it's basis in the feudal medieval times of Europe. He is a knight, serving lord and God above all else. First and foremost, let me explain a little on who a knight really was, and how he was looked upon.

During the feudal era (around 1000 AC) some wealthy lords gave small patches of land to local farmers in exchange for labor, while land-owners that could not keep up with the cost signed over their lands to these lords in return for protection. This created the basis for feudalism, a relation that was secured by a bond of honor and a mutual relation between both the local lord of the area and the lesser farmers and landowners within it.
    To make sure these new holdings were secured and well defended against raids (in those times, Europe was plagued with both internal squabble and looting raids from the Danish, the Vikings, etc….) the lords began employing skilled warriors. These warriors were no more than peasants, but to secure their services, the lords provided them with an armour and weapon if they could not afford it. More often than not, the lords provided them with a patch of farmland, buildings, and sometimes even the farmer's labour, in return for their services, so that they would serve the lord willingly. As these warriors -knights- were allowed to acquire wealth, they grew in prestige, and were looked upon as a distinct social class, and in time the position was often reserved for sons of wealthy aristrocats.

Around 1100AC the Church (bear in mind that above all, the Church was all powerfull) wanted to create some order in this rather anarchic society, and gave it's official sanction. Knighthood was declared a sacred calling and the ordainment of new knights became a holy ritual. The manner in which a knight was deemed to behave was set in the chivalric Codes of Conduct, and was based on the earlier honor-bounds between landowner and private warrior, and the religious ideas of the Church at that time. While knights remained a in the lower ranks of the priviliged class, they now symbolized the highest standards of moral behavior and were admired by peasants and royalty alike. Also, now that the Church had officially sanctioned Knighthood, they had at all times an army of able warriors, ready to strike out at their bidding, bound into loyalty by the Codes of Conduct and their vows into Knighthood. The biggest example of this are the Crusades, where all knights were called to make war in the name of the Church.

Though they were very much respected, they were rarely envied, as the life of a knight was brutal and dangerous. They were constantly out for battle, and faced constant threat of death and humiliation. More often than not, instead of upholding the harsh chivalric codes that were set, they found themselves engaged in a constant struggle for income, and were desperately seeking any opportunity to gain an honest living. The Code they were sworn to uphold demanded loyalty and honor above all else, making these more important than life itself. To that end, many knights did not live beyond 30 years of age, either in battle, or by execution by the Church for failure of upholding their vows. Those that did survive were more often than not pennyless and broke, depending on charity.

How does this fit in with the RP Paladin?

The paladin character is most and foremost a resemblance of these Holy Knights. They are the top-notch of the lower classes, and stand as symbol of how one should conduct himself, honorable in spirit and manner. Also, they are the well-trained warriors of their faith, sworn to uphold both the Codes to which they vow, and the Church that has sanctioned them. Due to the strict Codes that a Paladin character has to follow - these codes are more than a way of life -only a few of the FR faiths are actually suitable as a belief to the Paladin. We'll get to those later.

Chivalric Codes of Conduct

The manner in which a Paladin should behave is set in the Codes of Conduct, and represent the way a Paladin should hold himself. They are not just a set of laws that can be followed or neglected as the Paladin sees fit. To him, they are a way of life, and he is duty-bound by his own honor to follow them. A Paladin would rather die than disgrace himself by breaking these codes.

The Codes themselves are based on the 7 Knightly virtues: Honor, Bravery, Glory, Good faith, Unselfishness, Courtesy, Pride in self and others. These virtues hold the basis for the Codes of Conduct, and embody the spirit of the Knightly ideal. The Codes themselves are as follows, rated from most to least important:

• Defend any responsibility given, even unto death.
    • A Knight's word is his law.
    • Show courage in all things.
    • Show honor to those above one's station.
    • Earn respect from those below one's station.
    • Leadership is the responsibility of the high-born and the fit.
    • Battle is the test of worth (rated higher or lower depending on faith)
    • Be courteous to all (wo)men.
    • Bring death to those who raise their weapons against a Knight or those entrusted in the Knight's protection.
    • Choose death before dishonor.

A Paladin's station

It is a common mistake to assume that a Paladin is per se of noble blood, and that he or she can therefor call upon the priviliges of nobility, or act demeaning against those of less nobility. Nothing else is less truth than that. Except for the odd occasion where a Paladin would come from a noble family, he is most often of lower class, having sworn himself into duty to his faith. Due to their rigid and noble manners however, and their prowess in battle, they are most often looked upon with a special status. They are awed by the common man, idealized in song and tales, and respected by those of nobility. They are the top-notch of the lower classes. Yet in all, a Paladin must NEVER merely demand his respect either by wills or force alone. He MUST earn it.

A Paladin and Religion

A Paladin vows his life to the Religion of his choosing. He vows himself to The Codes of Conduct foremost, and then to tennets of his Faith. His service is unto death, even beyond in rare cases, and he will willingly sacrifice himself to this duty without even thinking about it. Because it can be extremely difficult to combine both the Codes of Conduct and the Codes of Faith, only a few of the common Pantheons are actually eligible as a faith for the Paladin. Other religions are known to accept Paladins as well, but it is very rare, as many of their ways contradict with the way a Paladin should hold himself.

Above all, one should bear in mind that a chosen faith for a Paladin should be of LAWFULL alignment first, and of GOOD alignment second. Most faiths that hold either LG or LN alignments accept Paladins, and some faiths that are LG, NG or CG sometimes do so as well. The major top 3 of valid Paladin beliefs would be either Tyr, Torm or Helm, as their tennets resemble the chivalric Code of Conduct most closely. Other faiths, such as Lathander, Sune and Ilmater would also be valid beliefs, as long as the player bears in mind that he will need to try and combine both Codes of Conduct and the strictures of their religion in RP'ing their Paladin. Of course, this list is not all-inclusive, as the Realms support many religions, and any faith that would resemble the ones mentioned above (eg Arvoreen for instance) would be valid as a religious belief.

Fealty, Tithing and Training

As a Paladin is tied to the religion of his choosing, he is more often than not expected to tithe some of his income towards the upkeep of his faith. The Church then uses this coin to keep daily order functional, and as such, the Paladin is a tool in keeping the religion strong. Early AD&D rules stated that a Paladin should donate 10% of his income either towards his faith, or use it in the aid of others. As for narfell, this can be translated in the Paladin either regularly donating to his church either by RP, or by game-mechanically "trashing" it in the trashcan, or by freely spending his coin on temple upkeep or aid of others, meaning that he would willingly help in resurrections or otherwise….the options are endless.

In return for this, a Paladin CAN ask for guidance from his faith, either in training or otherwise. Most often this guidance results in at least free room and lodgings, but the possibilities are endless.

All of this does not mean that a Paladin has to remain bound to his faith alone. He can swear allegiance to any faction, as long as these factions do not interfere with any of his prior edicts, and if he does so, he must uphold the rules of these factions on an equal basis as he would honor all other laws set before him. In all, a Paladin shows honor in all his ways, so if he would as well swear allegiance to a King for example, he will serve this king on an equal manner as he would serve his Faith.

The Paladin and his God: revered or fallen

In return for his sworn service to any religion, the God of the Paladin's choosing rewards him with several benefits. As long as the Paladin upholds himself and shows himself worthy of these graces, he will be able to use them. But as is the whimsical way of the Gods, they can easily take away any favor granted should the Paladin at any time show himself dishonorable of any of his religion's tennets. When a God removes His or Her graces from the Paladin, he becomes fallen, a resemblance of what he is supposed to be, but cast out and alone.
    Becoming fallen does not mean that the Paladin should go on a killing rampage. He is at heart still the knight he was before, and would feel most burdened and dishonored by the fact that his Faith has forsaken him. To this end, a true Paladin would go to immense lengths to show in valor and honor that he is still worthy of his God's graces, and try in any way he can to redeem himself. Sadly, many a fallen Paladin finds himself overcome by the feelings of dishonor, and fails to live up to even the lightest of Codes as he becomes more and more disillusioned. Let's face it, the life of a Paladin is a very demanding one, and as they are the embodiment of honor and nobility, the demands are extremely high. Many can try to walk this path, but only the select few ever succeed in living up the high standards that are set before them.

The Paladin and his God: graces bestowed

For those select few that do succeed, the Gods reward them with their graces. A Paladin is strengthened in mind and body to be able to overcome his foes better and aid those around as would befit him. A Paladin is never ill, never catches a cold or fever, and retains his strength even when he grows older. Let's face it, what good is a Holy Warrior when he would lie in bed with a cough, or when he would have to stay home instead of vanquishing that evil demon because he has a bad case of arthritis….Indeed, in the rare case that a Paladin would make it to old age, he would still find himself on the battlefield, holding his blade as if he were one of the youngsters.

Because the Gods bestow him with such extreme stamina, the Paladin can use this grace in aid of others. He is able to take away the illness of another, actually channeling it into his own body where the disease would find it's end. He can use his will to heal the wounds of others, actually giving some of his own strength so that others may live. The stronger the Paladin is in body and faith, the more he can aid another in this way. This power of touch can be devastating to his foes as well, as the Paladin can use this same strength to damage the undead, or to aid him in battle.

As the Paladin grows in strength, he is expected to grow in faith as well. To that end, whe he has proven himself worthy enough, the Paladin is granted some of his God's spells, to aid him better in his task.

The Paladin in the flesh: Game Mechanics

Now what does that all mean in real engine mechanics? How do these powers work, and what do I look for when I make my Paladin character?
    First and foremost, a Paladin's Charisma should be high. He is a leading figure, fearless at all times, and as such, he is awed and respected by many. His strength comes from his unwavering will to go on when all else would fail. As such, many of the Paladin's abilities rely on Charisma. The Charisma bonus is added to a Paladin's saving throws, and is the deciding factor in the strength of his Lay On Hands ability. Charisma also determines how good a Paladin is at overcoming his enemies, as the bonus is added to his attack rolls with Smite Evil. This would mean that the higher Charisma a Paladin has, the more an enemy would cower in fear of him, leaving a breach in his defense more easily. The Paladin's level (aka experience in life) decides the outcome of these powers, as it is added to the damage done for Smite Evil, or multiplied with the Charisma bonus for a Lay On Hands.
    So, in short, most and foremost, a Paladin should start out with as high a Charisma as possible.

Of course, a Paladin does not rely on Charisma alone. He is often found on the scene of battle, and is well-trained in warfare, so he should have a good Strength as well. As the Paladin is also well-lectured and trained in the tennets of his faith, he should also have a high wisdom, granting him benefits when he receives his first spells. Lastly, constitution should not be forgotten as well, as it allows the Paladin to survive longer in the harsh world around. A well-balanced level 1 Human Paladin could look as follows: STR 14, DEX 10, CON 12, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 16 This is basically what my own Paladin character started out with.
    Dexterity is fairly useless to a Paladin, as he will be running around in full plate anyway, and it will negate any Dexterity bonusses that the Paladin might receive from high DEX. As for Intelligence, that is totally up to the player. It is a usefull ability which allows the character to have more skill points as he grows in level, which is always interesting, but as a paladin should have so many high values everywhere, I regard it more as a cosmetical value…

As for skills, that is fairly easy for a Paladin, as he does not have a high choice in which to choose from. He should start out with high values in Discipline, Concentration, and Persuade. I find Spellcraft one of the lesser evils when it comes to distributing skill points, as a Paladin is a Warrior foremost, and rarely has the time to prepare for spelllike counteractions or to see what might be thrown at him anyway. Heal is a skill that should also not be neglected, as it allows the Paladin to save lives more easily when the going gets tough.

Now what of feats? Both Power Attack and Cleave are fine feats to start with, especially as a Paladin, because it increases the chances of everyday survival. As a Paladin, unless you took high dex values, feats such as Dodge and Mobility are pretty useless, if at all available. Toughness can be interesting to increase your allready high Hit Points, and feats such as Knockdown or Disarm can prove very usefull in overcoming any foe. Other rather useless feats would be those that increase any saving throws, as a Paladin allready receives bonusses to them from his Charisma. Further, any feat that would increase combat values is highly treasured by any Paladin. Feats that increase spellcasting should not be taking, as a Paladin only receives spells up to the 4th Casting level, and we all know how little free spell slots a Paladin gets as well. In my honest opinion, it's just not worth it. Combat Casting can be handy to ignore the -4 penalty to casting spells in combat, but then again, most of thsoe spells would allready be cast prior to the battle, so think carefully on whether or not you would actually make use of it.

Last but not least: Alignment

A Paladin is by nature Lawfull Good. There's no way around it, and there is a reason for it. When you ahve read through this whole post, you will no doubt have noticed all my hammering on how a Paladin should behave. This is his way of life, and he will die before he fails that. That makes him extremely lawfull. As for the Good part, I do not think that it needs any explanation. A Paladin strives to help others at all times, placing everyone else before him. My own character has died at least twice allready to make sure that others could escape with their lives. That is not only lawfull, it is GOOD to the core…

Because of this way of life, a Paladin is intimately opposed to all EVIL. He can sense evil around him (by using the detect evil tool), and at all times he will refrain from helping evil in any way. To do so would be dishonor to his cause. This can IG cause some difficulties at times, and I know I've had them many times allready, but let's face it, if the Paladin knows someone is evil, he would need a really good reason to extend a helping hand towards that cause, when his life is all about standing against that.
    This can lead to some pretty hefty moral discussions, like whether or not to heal a dying person when you know he is downright evil. I can only offer my own advice to this. I always try to look to the RP-sake of what has occured. If the player has playd his evil character in such a way that my paladin would have a reason to help, then I will do so. Otherwise, it's bad luck. As my Paladin is still VERY good, she will most probably bandage a known evil person, and leave him to fend for his own, alive and well. After all, with every act of mercy and kindness shown, there is the chance that this evil person might see the error in his ways and redeem himself. That too, is a Paladin's task.

As for the myth of anti-Paladins, please....let it remain a myth. It is for sure that evil Gods would employ fierce Holy warriors as well, but where the Paladin is concerned, he is the embodiment of good around. No way would any of his codes allow him to side with a faith that predictates evil.
    Such warriors could be made up as fighter/clerics for that matter, but leave the Paladin class itself to the Good Faiths. Many of the abilities given would contradict in all ways with evil intents. Allthough the idea is great, it is just not in the spirit of a Paladin. If you HAVE to play a Paladin who is evil, then make him a fighter/cleric and play him as a dark Knight. You'll be surprised how well it works.

Ok that's it... I think

I've tried to make this post as easy as possible to follow. But truth is, a Paladin just never is an easy class. They are the extreme elite amongst both fighters and clerics, and few do ever succeed in living up to the high standards. To play a Paladin is not only hard on game mechanics, it is a real challenge in RP as well. Allthough all this is not all-inclusive, I hope it has shed some clear light on what a Paladin really is. If any have remarks or comments, they are very much welcomed. For questions, you are free to PM me either here or in game... Go out, have fun, and stop reading this now...it has taken up enough time allready !!!

• The point is, the Forces of Good through FR history recognise thier mortal servants and grant boons more often and earlier in thier life than the forces of Evil.

Hence why Most 'evil' paladin-types are either Paladins Fallen to Evil, or Servants of the dark gods that have gained enough favor to be rewarded with a boon, Ie, Blackguard levels.

I've a Ftr I plan to have eventually take Cleric levels, and I plan to very soon apply for her to get blackguard levels aswell.

• @1c3c1c1b93=SummonerX:

There's no base class for an evil type of paladin, at least in nwn.

I hadn't noticed…...

• I guess the evil version of the paladin is so special, that it has to be a prestige class? There's no base class for an evil type of paladin, at least in nwn.

• Warlocks can be any evil OR chaos.

• If we were doing NWN2… Warlocks?

• @bf1a0114e3=Emerwyn:

Cleric… of Bane 😉

double facepalm

• Cleric… of Bane 😉

• @e4c1ee015c=SummonerX:

@e4c1ee015c=Teringer:

@e4c1ee015c=Vilehelm:

@e4c1ee015c=Anti-Paladins:

Good and evil are not merely mirror images of each other. Just as the forces of good have their unique champions, the paladin is intended as a unique champion of good. The paladin originates from a tradition of dynamic balance, in which the forces of good are few and elite and in which forces of evil are numerous and of lesser quality. Allowing anti-paladins blurs this basic relationship.

What "unique champion of evil" is there IG as a base class?

That aside, useful info.

Blackguards.

As I said…..BASE CLASS

• @9871660802=SummonerX:

@9871660802=Teringer:

@9871660802=Vilehelm:

@9871660802=Anti-Paladins:

Good and evil are not merely mirror images of each other. Just as the forces of good have their unique champions, the paladin is intended as a unique champion of good. The paladin originates from a tradition of dynamic balance, in which the forces of good are few and elite and in which forces of evil are numerous and of lesser quality. Allowing anti-paladins blurs this basic relationship.

That aside, useful info.

Blackguards.

Rico? He's after your daughters!

• @aa3d7bc3c1=Teringer:

@aa3d7bc3c1=Vilehelm:

@aa3d7bc3c1=Anti-Paladins:

That aside, useful info.

Blackguards.

• @a771471e1d=Vilehelm:

@a771471e1d=Anti-Paladins:

That aside, useful info.

• Bump an old but good post. I found it buried in an FAQ post somewhere, but it's hard to get to sometimes. So of the old aggregating threads have bad links.

• Removing the argument from an INFORMATIONAL post.

• Thanks for taking the time to write that up, you had some useful tips, anyways I thought it was pretty good, take care.

-Arthus

• Due to a lack of information on paladin orders and their allowed multiclassing rules, I felt it nessicary to post this here, this is a list of the paladin allowed gods, the name of their knightly orders and the allowed multiclassing rules for that paladin order…I won't hide that I borrowed this from Arabel, because their information is easy to find.

So! here we are.

Deity-Order -Multiclass Allowed
    Arvoreen - Arvoreen's Marchers - cleric, fighter, rogue.
    Baravar - Knights of the Shadowy Cloak - cleric, fighter, illusionist, rogue.
    Berronar - Berronar's Valkyries - cleric, dwarven defender.
    Chauntea - Field Guardians - cleric, divine champion
    Gaerdal - Shields of the Golden Hills - cleric, fighter
    Helm - Vigilant Eyes of the God - cleric, fighter, divine champion, Purple Dragon knight.
    Horus-Re - Claws of the Sun and the Ankh - cleric, divine champion,
    Ilmater - Order of the Golden Cup - cleric
    Ilmater - Companions of the Noble Heart - divine champion, fighter.
    Kelemvor - Knights of the Eternal Order - cleric, doomguide
    Lathander - Order of the Aster - cleric, divine champion, Purple Dragon knight
    Milil - Harmonious Order - fighter
    Moradin - Hammers of Moradin - cleric, fighter, divine champion,
    dwarven defender
    Mystra - Knights of the Mystic Fire - Wizard.
    Nobanion - Legion of Lions (wemics and werelions only) - cleric,
    divine champion.
    Osiris - Order of the Risen Scepter - cleric, ranger.
    Red Knight - Order of the Red Falcon - divine champion, fighter.
    Siamorphe - Order of the Silver Chalice - fighter
    Sune - Sisters and Brothers of the Ruby Rose - devine champion.
    Torm - Order of the Golden Lion - Any one other class.
    Tyr - Knights of Holy Judgment - cleric, divine champion
    Tyr - Knights of the Merciful Sword - fighter, divine champion.
    Yondalla - Shields of Yondalla - monk (Hin Fist)
    Yondalla - Wayward Wardens - cleric, ranger

• I have always seen the Paladin of the Forgotten Realms as being a champion of their god, much as the Paladin kit of Divinate. This is due to paladins having a specific god and church allegiance in the realms. They are holy warriors but not the crusader class of old (sorry 2e player). Where as clerics and crusaders are part of the church staple the paladin is a separate entity, thus the creation of the Orders. As regarding the rank of a cleric or paladin this is entirely dependant upon the church in question. Also a paladin is given great boons by their god, they may not be great spell casters but they are granted many abilities, which include a bonded mount….*grumbles *. The code of the realms paladins is recorded in Quentin’s Monograph and is as follows:

The Paladins Virtues are:
    An organised approach brings the most good for all
    Laws exist to bring prosperity under them
    Unjust laws must be overturned or changed in a reasonable and positive fashion
    People rule; laws help
    Cause the most good through the least harm.
    Protect the weak
    Goodness is not a natural state, but must be fought for to be attained and maintained.
    Lead by example
    Let your deeds speak your intentions
    Goodness radiates from the heart
    Give others your mercy, but keep your wits about you.

Please note that all of this is from 2e source material. Oh and on an interesting note about ranks of paladins, remember Torm was Tyr’s paladin.

• As I see it, a cleric isn't the same as a priest. Priests maintain temples, holds services and tend to the needs of the local population. A cleric, of course, can and often will do these things as well, but is trained more to be an agent of his or her god. They spread the deity's influence, recover artifacts and relics, and hunt down enemies of the church. In a way, they are crusaders. Holy warriors, endowed with blessings of their gods, which allow them to best carry out His or Her will. This is also reflected in the armor and weapon proficiencies a cleric gains.

In my eyes, a paladin is a knight first and foremost. Dedicated to Good and Law. However, Paladins often take on a patron deity with matching dogma (such as Tyr, Torm, Helm, Lathander and Illmater) to the knightly principles. They fight for that god, and in return are given some of the deity's power (spells), but not as much as the cleric.
    Paladins are not the holy warriors of the church. That's what clerics are. Of course, therre are many different gods in Faeruhn, and not all clerics are crusading heroes/villains of their god. However, their training and spells are designed towards this crusader goal.

One final thought: as such, clerics technically "outrank" paladins, as they are fully dedicated to service of their gods, while Paladins (although they can be quite dedicated, and perhaps even more than a cleric) are warriors in a god's cause, and little else. They are not gurus, they are not champions, and they are definitly not fit as emmisaries of their god.
    They are temple guards and defenders. They are escorts of clergy. They augment the cleric's martial capabilities with their own, giving up the cleric's advanced spellcasting.

• Aside from the -excellent- guide from shadevar.. here are my tips:

Decide on faith before opening the character creation engine..
    Read the 3.0 Dogma..
    Consider how wise and intelligent they are going to be as to the nature of guru or blind faith zealot they are likely to be..
    Faiths have many arms, and you may come from wildly differing lands, so consider that and how it reflects on your paladin nature.

A temple-raised tormite in tantras is going to be different from a elf-raised woods-loving tyr paladin.

If clerics reposnsabilites are to the flock and to the expansion of their faiths, and their status in the eyes of the deity is down to dealing with their faith and their followers, then a paladins status and standing is more on a knife-(or sword) edge. Opportunities for success and failure/fall may appear within moments of each other.

Play to the paladins strengths, and remember what enemies paladins are best suited to fight.

I am always interested in hearing interesting concepts from players on paladins, so feel free to speak to me anytime about them. I always watch and enjoy seeing paladin and cleric roleplay.

• My paladin has points in taunt…I just have to think of using it more often!