Announcement from Captain-General Del'Rosa

• George nods at the comments, smiling at Rith

"You might be right - yet, I shan't mask what is my opinion because it might affect me negatively.

But let's go to the question at hand. The preventative mechanics for evil tyrants. I am glad you asked.

Have you heard stories of the Moonblades? A set of magical swords made in the times ancient for the elven high houses. These swords would bond with their holder, the one who would seek to claim them. The wielder of the Moonblades would be viewed with great prestige.

However.. upon claiming a sword, the sword would see if the claimant is worthy to carry the blade. Should the claimant be ill-fitted to hold the blade, they would be struck dead.

I have similiar plans for the crown jewels of Peltarch. A creation of a crown that, upon coronation, sees into the soul of the heir apparent and only allows itself to be worn by a just king.

Do you wish more details?"

• The golden-locks Lathanderite has been observing George as he spoke, and as things quiet down, she steps up to talk to him directly now

The Divine Right does exist, and anyone keen on matters of faith knows it. However, it has no hold or sway over Peltarch, because its citizens have chosen so. They enjoy the freedom of choosing and not being imposed anything by any gods. There are many gods that would see different rulers sitting at the throne of Peltarch. Siamorphe is only one of them. I hear Cyricists have their own plans on who should rule Peltarch. I even heard of one Analesia that believes herself "chosen" to do so.

The point I'm trying to make is… don't use the Divine Right as if it would help your case, I think it's hurting it instead, giving these good people the feeling that you have to be king, because you are better than everyone else here by Divine Right no less. Because some not very well known, non-benign god said so. And I know you possibly don't mean it, but it's how it's coming through. The gods have nothing to do with this. These are people with mundane problems, and mundane needs.

Peltarch is a multi-cultural, multi-faith, free society, ruled by no god or ideology, where no single god or ideology has the right, divine or not, to sole-handedly decide its direction. And that, in my own opinion, must remain so. If you are asking me to give my vote to you as king of Peltarch, I need to evaluate what good can come from it and then decide. But if you are asking me to deliver Peltarch to Siamorphe, the answer is simple and clear. No.

Now... you seem like a good man, with good intentions. But the people of Peltarch can't take your word on it. They've been lied to a few too many times by people that have been standing exactly where you are, seeking something similar to what you seek. The people of Peltarch need the safety, the warranty that their decision this day won't condemn their lives, and those of the generations to come. I am optimistic by nature, but good words aren't good enough. For something like this, not even good intentions are enough, if they were meant. People change, and intentions change, and the intentions of the heirs may not be the same as yours. Words are blown away by the cold winds.

It is true that at times Peltarch seems ruled by gold, influences, fear and turmoil. That people have often are forced to choose the lesser evil, as they can not trust any politician at this stage. Even those senators that had the good words and the good intentions at the elections day, find themselves in apathy and indolence towards the problems of the people a few months later. Peltarch can not have that. It has been tried for a long time, and unfortunately it hasn't worked.

So my question, a very important one that for me, makes or breaks. If you were elected sole ruler of Peltarch, would you enact some mechanisms by which the inability to rule diligently, fairly and to the best interest of Peltarch and its citizens would see you or any of your heirs removed from the position of king?

In other words, if kingship does not do well, not for want of trying, but because you or any of your descendants turns out to be greedy, decadent, indolent, inept, or straight out evil and wicked, will you have a legal means for people to retake what has always, and will always remain belonging to them without forcing revolts or civil wars that would only further hurt the most defenceless families of Peltarch?

And in case you say yes, please explain exactly what it will be.

• Hrmph. Clear now that you have the backing of fools.

• George nods at some of the points raised, smiles at the group of the dock workers supporting him, and gives a thumbs up to Maero.

"Have you further questions, friends?"

• Ever charming, foolish, handsome, quick witted and humble minstrel Maero Hiltold decides to pipe up once again. Hide your daughters, Peltarch! Lock up your wives! Or was that the other way around?

"What part of "raised to rule" aren't folk getting from this!? Why is it just as likely for a prince or princess who was raised by their parents to be a good king or queen to turn out to be a jerk than a random person who might not even be from the city to bribe and cheat their way to win a popularity contest? If it's so damn easy to fix a bad Senator why were there so many issues with it? Here's a hint; That logic makes no sense! WAKE UP, PELTARCH! MONARCHY IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO! LONG LIVE FUTURE KING "WHOS-HIS-WHATSIT"!

Or do you want RARYLDOR to lead Peltarch into the ground like he's doing with the elves!? Nyeahahah!"

Another wise and completely uneducated opinion shouted over the top of people with questions was concluded.

• A new voice from the crowd is heard, if anyone bothers to notice the man in black and silver some might recognize him as a Hoarite, his words are simple yet calm making no real attempt to sway the people.

A faulty senate or council can be evicted and new elections held, a faulty King is forever short of a Civil War. I have lived more then long enough to know one can be as good as the other, depends what the people want. To say Sir that your way is better then the other is an act of pride which in most religions is a sin. Your way is not better then any other way, while you might indeed be a good man, the next heir may not give two damns about the better interest of the people and the only way to remove that prince would be a civil war which would tear Peltarch apart. It would also tear the people apart as the guards would be forced to fight their own loved ones and so on. Yes the Senate can be corrupted. Yet so can the crown. One is no better then the other, but at least the people can impose rules on the senate and consequences if they fail to meet the promises they make. Can you say they can impose such on you and the next prince that he won't just veto? A Senate cannot just veto the peoples demands, the people could just place a new order as such that it cannot be vetoed without the peoples agreement. A royal on the other hand having all final say can on the other hand do so. A royal cannot just be removed. Weigh the good with the bad before a decision is made. I personally don't care one way or another, I have as I said seen the bad with the good.

• Legion

@0950d013ad=ClownBaby:

"… and riots..."

Whoa whoa .. no need for rioting. It's just politics folks! The great thing about getting a vote is that whatever we get is our own dam fault. Rioting over politics is like a baby asking for a dummy and then spitting it out.

George, I am a bit disappointed that you feel the system that has set Peltarch apart, a system that the one you claim your blood line from started so long ago, is a contemptible thing. I think you've called good people "rotten eggs". So any other candidate for leadership other than yourself is a "rotten egg"?

We can fix the way we elect people to our senate. But we won't be able to fix the wrong person becoming king.

at this point, anyone with keen eyes bothering to look at Marty may notice an amulet about her neck bearing the seal of Tidus.

((unbuffed persuade 19))

//edited to add the persuade ranks - I just thought the last sentence was a good point.

• Mr Swift winks at whoever added that last part.

• Some of the people look confused at George following that quip, being used to choosing their leaders, that would seem like a good compromise. Others, especially his die-hard fans, the dock workers, instead give a look of acceptance towards him, as they know him to be a stand up guy by all standards, whereas they are… Well, not.

• @930f1b8dd0=MCPlay:

I say we put the pyromaniac senator back in charge. At least we'd have light shows in the Commons more often.

"… and riots..."

• After george answers to Sabs, a human dressed in a black garb and ponytail muses:

Heh. That's the System for you. No matter what kind you choose, the greedy and the corrupt always find their way to it. Golden egg… pfft. We're all rotten here mister, no point claiming otherwise. I say we put the pyromaniac senator back in charge. At least we'd have light shows in the Commons more often.

• Sabre's brow shifts skywards at Raryldor's interjection, any further argument she might have cut short, lest she find herself in agreement with the elf. She mutters, shooting a dirty look at him:

"Wouldn' be th'first rotten egg ta claim high ground while stinkin' up th'place then.."

Raising her voice again, she looks towards George, giving a small nod.

"Yer alrite by me, Georgie boy - 's just I ain't a believer in god-given rights ta anythin'. Nothin' personal, y'ken."

• Raryldor chimes in.

So sayeth the rotten egg! By deception were you ferreted out, and you claim a high ground! You claim a single ruler better built for rule than many, as though you are incorruptible and prepared of a lifetime for it! You contradict yourself, usurper of the People's Crown!

• George smiles at this, nodding

"I respect your opinion, even though I cannot find myself in agreeance with it. Personally I prefer to try and nurture one golden egg instead of choosing between dozens of rotten ones."

• A glimpse of black and gold becomes visible as Sabre elbows a few nearby people in the crowd, raising her voice - and a stubborn chin - again.

"I reckon yer th'stand up fella y'are fer NOT bein' raised wi' tha fool notice o' bein' born ta rule. Ain't no 'noblesse' in th' so called noblesse oblige in my experience, just a massive sense of entitlement.

I ain't bendin' th'knee 'cause o' no Divine Right - I fought a war just ta keep th'Queen o' N'Jast - lovely lass 'm sure, less keen on 'er armatures - off th'city. Ain't no perfect system, 'cause folks ain't perfect! 's why it makes more sense ta shift th'rotten eggs every so often."

• George glances in the general direction of the voice, but can't see the speaker. Still, he responds to the questiong posed.

"I can understand the principle of such elected monarchy. Still, consider what are the main flaws of senatorial elections - vote are bought with empty promises and boatloads of gold. If the sole ruler was elected every new decade, would this not simply make the issue worse? The person who'd lie best to people, who'd bribe most people, would win.

What then? Keep such a person leading the city for the next ten years? No. There would be eventual civiwar, brother against brother.

Then consider the other option, raising a ruler to serve the city. A ruler that knows his place is serve the people. Ruler that knows that the Divine Right is only his if he rules wisely and justly.

Which of these options seems less likely to fail?"

• "Oy, George!"

A female voice rises from somewhere in the crowd, the speaker too small to make out clearly in the throng.

"Y'seem a hellova lot more sensible than tha silver spooned, doughy-arsed Senators I've seen in me time, ye'd 'ave me voice if only that voice was fer -ye- alone. None o' this heirs ta th'throne bullshit - y'tell me, if Peltarch wants a sole ruler, why can't th'city just elect a new one every oh, ten or so years eh?"

• Eilonna looks over shifting herself on her walking stick which seems to cause her a great deal of pain yet she still holds a dominant look as she frowns at him

I meant you sir, you are being quite the fool to mock someone because they are different from you or have a different way of life. I believe that wolf as you call him is more civilized then even you as I have yet to hear the wolf make sport or taunt of anything that has happened here. Rather he has simply given a few points of fact and moved on. If you want to find him, go look for him and talk to him yourself and quit being an ass.

Shakes her head as she turns away from him giving him the cold shoulder clearly not approving of the man

• The town fool, Maero Hiltold, grins a wide, toothy grin from ear to ear apon hearing Eilonna's words and laughs heartily!

"You're right! Wasn't he -hilarious-! Best fool I've ever seen. You'd almost think he actually was that insane! Nyehahaha! Someone hunt that wolf down and get him in the Bard's College, I want to take him under my wing!"

• Eilonna looks over to the man making sport of the Druid that had just left them and speaks where she is sure he can hear her

Ahh good, the town fool is here, I guess now we can skip the entertainment part of the day and go back to serious buisness.

She clearly is calling Maero the town fool and not the druid