Hoarrans Outside Peltarch

• Jonathan never keeps his eyes off Cerena, the smile never leaving his lips, but certainly not reaching his eyes.

Again, Legionairre, you make that demand on current standings. Stop tipping us towards violence, and we will no longer be turning people away from the road unless absolutely necessary. Keep you violence away and there will be no need to answer it with such, and a side road so close and parallel to the main will no longer be necessary.

Would Peltarch be agreeable then to the league of land around the bridge we've already rebuilt?

• @b48924ffa2=EodenValmer:

Therefore we are drawn to the next area of contention, namely the area of the Pass that doth hold the bridge and of course the source of Tolls upon travellers.

"I believe we should also keep in mind the passage just east that runs parallel with the bridge. The Legion has insisted that remain out of Hoaran claims for those who did not wish to use the bridge. The opening into that passage near the lake could be and should be blocked off for two reasons: the first being that there have been some fights between Hoarans and travellers near that opening. The second reason is so that anyone who feels the need to aimlessly slaughter Hoarans cannot simply run back through the passage and seek protection at the Legion Tower. I believe such a barrier would be beneficial to all parties."

• Methinks we shouldst move forward in a more constructive manner.

Forsooth one is most assured that we can each and every one agree the terms as laid out are preposterous.

Yet let us seek to find common areas of accord and work from these.

Thusly I propose that none here would rail against the claiming of the Romani Camp, the area called The Spider woods and the lands that fall within those.

Therefore we are drawn to the next area of contention, namely the area of the Pass that doth hold the bridge and of course the source of Tolls upon travellers.

• _"Claiming this land by right of blood? So you are in fact claiming it for your ancestors?"

He sighs

"Peltarch and the Legion didn't go to war because we were bloodlust or we wanted a land grab, we went to war because your ancestors constantly robbed, murdered, and occasionally raped travellers on the Nars. Norwick faced several attacks, with Eastlanders demanding the town surrender to them. Your ancestors went way beyond defending what they believed was their land as you can see. We went to war to finally put a stop to it.

You want to claim all of this land for your ancestors. One problem with that is what was mentioned earlier, your ancestors lost the war. Another issue is how can we be assured you do not eventually go down the same path they did and we see history repeat itself?"_

• Jonathan seems about to respond, when a new voice cuts him off.

Because Senator, vengeance comes in many forms, and not all is settled in the heat of battle, and the waste of blood on both sides. For those who give praise to Hoar, a blow shall be answered for a blow, and justice is to the spirit of the law, not always the letter. My brother is but seeking repayment for that was dealt us in the past by the less violent means of diplomacy.

As she speaks, she comes farther into the pavilion, flanked by Danielle, and lowering her cloak hood to her shoulders as she looks over the map laid out. Dark of hair, the first hints of white just showing, you can only barely see the resemblance between them.

A large and overreaching plan, Jonathan. If none other here have said so, let me be the first to say it almost borders on madness.

• Ashald:

"So, you wish to trade with us, eventually? You wish us all to live happily ever after? I trust you will understand, I find this difficult to believe, from the leader of the Children of Hoar. Do you not worship the Lord of Vengeance? Is Revenge not the motivation by which you have, very successfully, regrouped your scattered peoples into this new, powerful force? And is it not Peltarch and the Legion upon whom you would eventually visit this vengeance?

You really expect us to believe that you have no hostile intentions towards us, after you have named yourselves thusly, gathered yourselves thusly, rearmed yourselves thusly, and now make claims to the Nars Pass, the same territory that was the root cause of the old conflict? By what reason or logic do you expect us to overlook the overwhelming evidence that you mean to do us grievous harm?"

• The slightest hint of a smile never fading.

Well, to be honest Legionairre, your tower ended there from falling back from that same force. We even offered to help but, seems there are some…. trust issues. As I said, I'll get to the Legion tower eventually.

Looks back to Ashald.

You and the Legion together fought against us. Burned our village, killed our people. Built up monuments, and left to go back to your home. Patted yourselves on the back, called yourselves heroes. Drank some wine perhaps? Settled down by the fire, ruffled your kids hair. Told him stories of how his father fought oh so bravely, while the mother smiled from her knitting….

My father was beheaded. My mother fell to a war machine, careless clumsy things. This child endured without the hair ruffling... but did he indeed hear the stories. His eyes narrow ever so slightly. To think I offered help to you and yours before that time, because to think… I didn't want war, nor the bloodshed.

Eyes look at the map for a long time, before looking over each of those gathered.

I am claiming this by right of blood. I prefer it blood long since spilt. Do not make it fresh spilled yet again.

Stabs the map almost viciously with his finer, before again the slight smile to his lips, and he looks to Theaon.

I don't expect you to move your tower. Honestly, it will not be needed there much longer anyways, do with it as you wish. After all, you seek to guard against hostile lands, and this is not how it will end.

Drags a finger westward past the camp.

I intend to reopen the land trade route to Ilmpitur. Long ago the Romani were able to make contact with several merchants. Two came to stay with them, and our hope is to make this a permanent trade route between Narfell, and their land. A city eventually built where the camp itself still stands, built on the coin that such trade will lead to. Settlers as well, craftsmen.

Drags his finger eastward past the camp to the pass.

With a safe and patrolled route of trade between Peltarch, Norwick, and ourselves. You have things we need, we will soon have things you need. We will do nothing to start this trade while you continue to feel as if we are somehow nothing more then "simple" bandits on your precious road.

• Dwin watches the volleys go back and forth, tilting his head in confusion at some of Mariston's words and nodding at others.

The pass itself must remain open, as a land route between the free people of the Jewel and the Realm. I do not think this to be negotiable.

As to the Legion tower, name a Price and see of they'll pay it!

• _Ronan observes the talks quietly, mostly looking to both Mariston and Ashald for the responses. His eyes glancing to the other representatives as they speak.

He observes Jonathon more closely, however. As the questions and arguments pile onto him as tensions seem to rise._

• Ashald:

"It is, of course, different. Our claim was won, then solidified through years upon years of not only holding it, but actively defending it from those who would take it from us. Centuries of action vindicates our claim. Your claim is nothing more than lines on a map. You have made the claim before winning the land. Indeed, as the Legion General notes, more accurately speaking, you are attempting to make a claim on land your forefathers have categorically lost any claim to, during the Eastlander War."

• _"The Legion Tower will not be relocating if that is what you have in mind. Also, the passage behind the Tower will remain clear of your troops as that is to be used for folks who wish to travel freely between Norwick and Peltarch. If your concerned that any adventurers with any grudges will try and attack your troops then run back to the Legion Tower through that opening in the treeline near the lake, we can simply block that off."

He pauses for a moment, then continues

"Earlier in the meeting I heard you say that all this land in the Nars was 'bought and paid for in blood' and that because of that it belongs to you. Were you referring to the current generation of Eastlanders or your ansestors? Your ansestors felt they owned all of the Nars Pass, and it eventually lead to a war. Your ansestors lost that war, and any claim they felt they had to the Nars was at that point gone.

So that leaves your generation. How exactly has your generation 'bought and paid for' the Nars in blood? Having to fight disgruntled adventurers going to close to the Camp entrance? There is also the issue of other hostile forces using the area you claim to be yours to go north and attack either the Legion Tower or Peltarch.

Remember the N'Jast? Did you make any attempt to tell the N'Jast they are not permitted to go up and down your land as they did during that war, or did you retreat into the Camp?

A few years back an unknown group of hostiles tried to take over the Legion Tower, and they came from the south. If that land is yours, why did you let a foreign armed force run up and down it as they please.

Unless you intentionally allowed these attacks to happen against the Legion Tower and Peltarch, why did you not take arms and vigorously defend your land against obvious trespassers? Even if their goal was to attack another town or group it shouldn't matter, they trespassed on what you felt was your land, and you did nothing about it.

So I ask, how exactly have you paid in blood?"_

• Jonathan looks at Mariston a moment, then laughs softly.

It is large! Massive amount of land even! But, even as Peltarch makes claims to land beyond what it actually inhabits, and Norwick does as well, so to did I when I drew the lines. I have no plans to place farms everywhere on the map, I am sure if I did I'd have to invite the gnolls to come and discuss!

Looks seriously at the map for a moment.

Probably have gotten a better response from them then I did those from Oscura. Held my messenger for days while they discussed, then said they rejected any claim… then sent a representative.

Shakes his head finally.

I placed down what I consider land to be held in the best interests of me and mine, not necessarily what I will be able to take, conquer and hold. As others have prime interest in land they may not formally and rightfully claim, I have interest in those lands surrounding what I consider mine.

Turning to Ashald.

Where did King Tidus come from? Why is that not your home? Surely it was as settled as Peltarch was. After the victorious battle, did you return from whence you came? No. You stayed where you were, because you fought for it! Claimed it. It became.. your words mind you.. Your actual home.

You would consider the Nars Pass different for us?

• Ashald:

"Our claim to Peltarch's territory is traceable back to our King, Tidus, who won the land in victorious battle against the Fire Giants of Ignismons and afterward the treacherous forces of the City of Hoarsgate. I imagine the Eastlander claim to the Eastland hills is…something similar in nature, perhaps...but not the Nars Pass. Since you are making this claim formally, I have been advised we must be...precise about all aspects of it in these discussions.

Thus, I ask again...why does your claim fixate upon the Nars Pass? Why is no mention even made of the Eastland Hills? If your heritage and the content of the...hearts of your people, as you say, is what drives you to make claims to old territories...why choose the one territory your people held in greatest contention? Why not choose their actual home?"

• :Mariston looks up from the map::

Tis certainly a very large birthing area is it not?

Forsooth one was most vexed by the scale of such a claim, tis a territory spanning some thousand square miles or so.
    Whereinsoever the place thine ancestors called home::sweeps his hand over the map:: Tis not as claimed methinks.

Tis most prudent we doth seek the crux of the matter, to learned the place of residence thine folk didst control whilom.

Areas of contention shouldst be clearly stated now.

One doth of course not recognise the speaker of Oscura as being hight to rede in these councils.

• Jonathan tips his head as if giving that actual thought, before simply replying with the smallest hint of a smile as if expected.

I would instead ask, Senator, Why does Peltarch claim it's land rather then the land from which your founders came from? Your people are no more… natural to this land, then really my people are. Is Peltarch your home because you were born there? For I was born here. Is Peltarch your home because you have fought and defended it? I have done the same. Is Peltarch the Jewel of the Icelace because it has been shining since time immemorial? I think not.

A claim to land comes from the hearts of the people that have fought for it, bled for it, worked it, and attempted their best to eke a living from it. For your citizens that is true. For my own, just as true. That is why we claim it, and the nature of the oath to which we will return to it.

• Ashald:

"The Nars Pass is not the territory of your forefathers, Jonathan. It is merely where they plied their trade, said trade being the robbery of our trade. If you are invoking some manner of ancestral claim, why is it to the Nars Pass rather than the Eastland hills where your people made their home?"

• Jonathan quirks the smallest of smiles, and makes a small change on the map.

As far as the crossroads then. The Legion's tower is, I am afraid, going to be a much longer discussion…

Looks to the Senators.

You had things to add as well?

From the camp to the south, still keeping seperate for the most part, two riders, one in plate, the other sidesaddle and in a dress ride out heading straight towards the pavillon. The rider in plate keeping a shortstaff with merchant's banner at hand, and a large chained and padlocked box strapped to her horse behind her.

• Dwin listens to Jonathan and watches as he amends the map. Once the issues of the Legion tower and the Den are brought up, he adds his 2 coppers as well.

While ya got yer quill out, lad… Neither Sam's Hill nor Sam's Hole were ever Bandit..er, Eastlander lands. Certainly not since your grandsires were younglings.

Nothing south of the Crossroads, in fact, can even be considered in this conversation until I receive further direction from her Honor, the Chancellor of the Realm.

• "So what exactly do your claims mean for the Legion being near the Oscuran cave entrance, and also the Wolves Den being near what used to be Sam's Hill?"

• Jonathan waits until everyone interested has had a chance to look over the maps. Finally speaking, he nods to Ashe.

That is acceptable. I understand you have troops already outside of the entrance to your cave, we can keep a quarter league south of the entrance along the road.

Looks to the Senator a moment, before finally responding.

The oath is to return to the pass. To return to the land that was taken from us. To take back that which has been bought and paid for in the blood of my forefathers. And the means by which I will do so?

You see it already.

Turns back to the map, and marks a line south of the cave entrance, closer to the break in the tree line that goes in to the gnoll woods, before looking to Ashe.

That is how far I seek. Will that be acceptable?