The New Barbarians [Challenge]

• I would vote Rashemon. Simply because of how terribly superstitious and spiritual that particular land and tribe is. Rashemon is at least as crazy and off kilter as the narfell we live in.

I'd be highly interested in a new barbarian. Let's say I've played one, once upon a time ^^

a more lawful, a less jokey vicious man would be a fantastic play, and a good group to pal with? Count me in, if you'll have me.

• I'm rather partial to a slightly more traditional "barbarian" culture for this group, such as the Vaasans that Lein pointed out.

• I wanted a new totem because then we aren't tied into the main tribal group and don't have to explain why only this group listened to what was essentially the word of their god and traveled East and all the other Great Worms or Red Ponies or stayed behind. Plus a new totem could be cool. We could be followers of the the Great Cave Bear or perhaps horsemen, as has been suggested multiple times.

But if enough people go in another direction, I'm amiable.

However, I'd like to point out: Totems are cool.

• I realise you are quite set on Uthgardt barbarians - but I figured i'd use the opportunity to give a quick rundown of the main barbarian cultures from lands not too far from Narfell.

Vaasa
    Cold, arctic tundra full of nomadic hunters and sporadic settlements. Ironically, one of our Finnish players suggested it sounded very much like his homeland of Finland 😎
    Main god is Auril, more through a 'please spare me a frozen death oh wicked ice queen' worship rather than general appraise (see: Umberlee :P).

Reason for being in Narfell?
    Perhaps the harsh lands of the glacier have just become too unbearable and the nomads have moved south in favour of warmer climates - eschewing Damara in favour of less civilised lands.

Rashemen
    A land of Barbarians and Witches. The Barbs are known as Berserkers and are seperated into Berserker Lodges. In PnP each lodge gets their own special type of Barbarian rage with various advantages and disadvantages.
    Religions in Rashemen are typically Mystra, Chauntea and Mielikki. Rashemi barbs grow up under the rule of the Witches, and would have no issues with Magic users (plus it is right next door to Narfell).
    Berserkers of Rashemen typically fight with curved swords rather than Axes - so Sabres and maybe Katanas?

Simple. Rashemi's berserkers fight the Nar barbarians a LOT. Since the Nar have dwindled over the years (in our game setting, at least) it is feasible that the Rashemi would venture West to investigate/conquer!

Tuigan
    Adrian suggested this. Tuigan's are known across the east after the Tuigan horde charged in what was a direct parallel to the Mongolian invasion of Europe. Tuigans are horse nomads, fighting with shortbows. They worship nature deities mostly.
    I found an entire 2e sourcebook pretty much dedicated to them online and if anyone is interested I can link it. It adds lots of interesting character quirks and advise on making your own tribe. It looks at things like superstitions and Tuigan morals & laws.

Murghôm
    Cossacks, basically - though instead of being oppressed by great Imperialist Russia, they are instead a kind of vassal of Mulhorand. They speak Mulhorandi, worship Mulhorandi gods, but ride round on horses with scimitars and cutlasses (maybe Katanas too!).

The Shaar
    Nothing to do with the goddess. The Shaar is a vast expanse of Savanah grassland, populated by Wemics and Centaurs. The people of the Shaar are nomads, typically on horseback (I think).

As I recall, natives of the Shaar are often taken as slaves and sold to Chessenta, and subsequently sold to Thay/Mulhorand. A band of Shaarans escaping enslavement is as good a reason as any to end up somewhere arbitrary 😛

Uthgardt Barbarians definately meet the stereotype barbarians of western culture - and the DnD character class for that matter (I won't get started on why Barbarian should be a race not a class).

Apologies for the post hijack, the purpose of this was just to highlight how there are many variations on 'Barbarian' cultures across Faerun - particularly in the East.

Also if anyone would like more information on this stuff, please ask.

• I don't think there's a need for a NEW totem. We could certainly follow an existing totem - it wouldn't mean we'd be locked into a certain culture or anything. And I generally agree with Card; Barbarians -can- be "honorable," but they can also be cutthroat, dirty, and barbaric. So, I'm all for a more "colorful," more rugged barbarian group.

We'd need to figure out the following for the group, though: (human[?] sub-)race, totem, geographical orgins, language, and some very basic cultural details for consistency.

As for my character, consider me ACCEPTED. Fighter/barbarian male, "The Two-headed Reaver." Double-axe. >:)

• Why is a new totem beast necessary though, as you already have a good amount to choose from?

• Indeed.

Thanks Dwin and Wyv.

northernLights; I was digging on the idea of a new Beast Totem, not one of the existing ones, though they'd definately have to split from somewhere unless they're new "converts"

The Uthgardt can be traced back principally to the Savage Frontier (which is neither very Savage nor much of a Frontier since that's the inland area bordering Neverwinter and Luskan)…the tribe would have to trace its roots back to there. Which isn't to say they might not have wandered through the frozen wastes of the Spine and the Great Glaciers.

• Thanks, Wywernywin!

• Pasting couple pages from The Complete Barbarian's Handbook - it's 2nd edition info but best I could find right now. @71a720607d=The:

Common Traits
    Regardless of their homelands, skills, and character kits, most barbarians share a set of common traits. Though a player isn’t required to incorporate all these traits into his character, he should think carefully before setting them aside. In a sense, these traits define the barbarian as much as his ability scores.

Outsider
    No matter how many years a barbarian spends in the outworld, no matter how many friends he makes or how many adventures he experiences, he remains an outsider. He will never feel completely comfortable in civilized settings, nor can he be fully at ease around his outworld companions. At times, he may be overwhelmed by the cultural differences between his homeland and the outworld. The strange devices frighten him. The bizarre architecture leaves him wide-eyed. The behavior of outworlders disgusts, amuses, and intimidates him. He may never accept outworlders as equals; he has a hard enough time accepting them as the same species.

Lover of Nature
    A barbarian considers himself an integral part of the natural world. Just as a bird belongs to the sky, as a stone belongs to a mountain, so does the barbarian belong to his homeland. He delights in the freedom of the outdoors, the companionship of animals, the warmth of the sun on his shodders. He accepts that nature can be both kind and cruel; he luxuriates in her bounty and weathers her hardships the best he can. Little wonder, then, that a barbarian views cities in much the same way as an outworlder views prisons: restrictive; dreary, and deadening.

Uneducated
    By no means are barbarians ignorant. Most have mastered an impressive set of survival skills. Many are exceptional hunters and warriors. Nearly all have taken part in the develop ment of rich cultures. Still, in an outworld sense, barbarians are uneducated, lacking in the fundamentals that outworlders typically take for granted. Most are illiterate, less likely to starr at the words in a book than to nibble on the pages. They have a primitive aesthetic sense; poetry makes their eyes glaze over, concerti put them to sleep. They find all but the simplest mathematical concepts incornprvhensible. They have virtually no understanding of outworld sciences; engineering is meaningless to someone who believes a drawbridge is alive. In theory, a barbarian can learn anything. In practice, he resists most attempts to educate him. He has little interest in knowledge for its own sake. He may consent to learn how to fish with a pole, but likely walks away if lectured on how to tell the depth of the water.

Crude
    When it comes to manners, a barbarian has more in common with a monkey than a nobleman. A barbarian considers an outworlder’s preoccupation with etiquette ridiculous, his obsession with protocol absurd, his interest in hygiene a waste of time. Why use a spoon to eat soup when you can scoop it up with your hands? If a merchant cheats you, why not smash him with a club instead of arguing? And what’s wrung with dirt? A barbarian says what he thinks and behaves as he likes. If an aristocrat resembles a pig, the barbarian tells him so. If a friend puts on weight, the barbarian compliments him on his impressive stomach. He changes his clothes when they rot and fall apart, not when they smell. He wipes his hands in his hair, shares bones with dogs, and belches when he’s full.

Simple
    A barbarian’s life centers around the basics: eating, sleeping, and protecting himself and his allies. He focuses on his immediate problems and concerns; long-range planning seldom extends more than a few weeks into the future. He responds to his passions more than his intellect, motivated by hunger, fear, lust, and anger. Small things fill him with joy: a fresh coconut, a perfectly formed flint arrowhead, a dip in a cool pond. He values a fur tunic more than a diamond necklace, an uninterrupted night’s sleep more than a atation from a king. Generally, outworld examples of affluence and accomplishment don’t impress the barbarian. He has no desire to live in a castle, let alone build one. He prefers fresh water to fine wine. Expensive clothing makes him itch. Nor is he particularly interested in power or fame. He measures the worth of a man by his skill with a
    spear, not by his titles or the size of his estate.

Reverent
    A barbarian follows the tenets of his faith not only to secure his place in the afterlife, but also to fend off dangerous spirits. He takes taboos and superstitions seriously, no matter how ridiculous they may appear to outworlders. To most barbarians, the spirit world is as real as the physical world. Benevolent deities grant spells to clerics and combat success to fighters. Vengeful entities bring sorrow, bad luck, and death.

Honorable
    Most barbarians have a strong sense of right and wrong, and conduct themselves accordingly. A lawful barbarian is honest, selfless, and courageous, willing to lay down his life rather than go back on his word. If he vows to vanquish the dragon that killed his brother, he will do so or die trying. If he promises to care for an abandoned bear cub, he will go hungry rather than deny the cub food. He is compassionate to the weak, loyal to his friends, and unforgiving to his enemies.

• For your backstory, I can offer some DMND written history (that Dwin regularly tells around the campfire)

Long before the Norwick family came to Narfell, the area that is now old norwick was an annual meeting place (like a Norse 'Thing' or a moot) where tribes would come and trade, settle differences, etc. The local tribe, the Heyokarr, hosted these meets (and later the Featherlights). Eventually word of these great trading meets spread to more civilized groups and the Norwick family came in and set up shop for a year-round merchant business.

The Heyokarr told them to leave, as it was sacred ground, etc. Norwick's refused, so the Heyokarr put a curse on the land that basically said that their dead would always rise to kill their living descendants until they left (graveyard, anyone?)

Anyway, its possible that through your new tribes history they would have heard of this Meeting-of-the-tribes and want to see if it still exists, etc…

Dwin can yell you much more IG if you are interested. 🙂

PS - I miss DMND.

• You're rationalizing.

Barbarians don't rationalize.

• Maybe barbarians would actually stick to honourable behavior exactly to avoid being compared to orcs. Besides, it's not just a matter of honour, it's also a matter of warrior pride – which might hold more sway than the vague concept of honour amongst barbarian cultures. A true warrior doesn't need to resort to attacking defenseless enemies, stealing what he could just take by force, or otherwise acting in a way that's just unfitting for warriors.

• @3aee9ec5d8=Archon_Prime:

@3aee9ec5d8=cardamon:

Honor's for people who care about honor. A real savage cares about victory. Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of dah women.

I think barbarians would be all about honour, having no respect for thieves and other "sneaky folk", or people that talk too much. That doesn't mean that barbarians have to be nice, but I think FR barbarians are completely different from the historic "loot, pillage, burn, rape!" sort of savages. To me, that's orcs.

More a function of alignment than culture. A chaotic barbarian should have no trouble striking his enemy from behind. "You bring your death upon yourself for not being more vigilant,fool!" Ever watch/read Conan? Big guy is maybe the most iconic non-FR canon barbarian, and never had problem sticking to the shadows, stealing, and slitting a man's throat or choking him before he could raise the alarm.

In fact, that may be our new tribal motto
    "Honor is for the dead. Victory is for the living."

Otherwise, barbarians are just honorable fighters who can't read.

• @c219e62b70=cardamon:

Honor's for people who care about honor. A real savage cares about victory. Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of dah women.

I think barbarians would be all about honour, having no respect for thieves and other "sneaky folk", or people that talk too much. That doesn't mean that barbarians have to be nice, but I think FR barbarians are completely different from the historic "loot, pillage, burn, rape!" sort of savages. To me, that's orcs.

@c219e62b70=cardamon:

No further than Waterdeep. Less far than other lands, like Chult. Geography means little when you're dedicated. Which is why I came up with the "Led by the Great Spirit of the [animal]." It's not my fault Uthghar's a perfect fit.

Lead by spirit does seem to be an interesting background.

• @a662f19358=Archon_Prime:

First off, I disagree that Tempus does not make a good barbarian god. A chaotic war deity that focuses on honourable and direct combat? Please.

@a662f19358=Archon_Prime:

I have -never- understood why Utghar is made out to be the God of Barbarians. He's the god of Utghard. Which is a population group. Who happen to be mainly barbarians. That in NO way makes Utghard the God of Barbarians. Utghard live a long, long way from Narfell. Why would they come all the way to what is essentially a tiny corner of well-occupied land?

No further than Waterdeep. Less far than other lands, like Chult. Geography means little when you're dedicated. Which is why I came up with the "Led by the Great Spirit of the [animal]." It's not my fault Uthghar's a perfect fit.

@a662f19358=Archon_Prime:

Canonwise, Nars barbarians follow Tempus, Lathander and Waukeen.
    "Immigrant" barbarians are most likely to come from the Glacier (and would be Aurilites) or, which I would recommend, are Tuigans. I need to look it up, but I think the Tuigans worshipped Grumbar, Akadi and .. another god, or aspects of said gods. It would make sense for these to travel the relatively short distance.. and why not make a Mongol-inspired barbarian group rather than the usual Germanic/Nordic style barbarians?

Because animal totems are cool, and everything the Realms is deity-centric. And what's the difference between the two? The Mongols nearly conquered all of Asia, and the Saxons and Goths kicked butt up and down Europe. Yurts instead of tents?

• Peltarch Far Scouts

Uhm… I might roll a Barbarian/Bard

• First off, I disagree that Tempus does not make a good barbarian god. A chaotic war deity that focuses on honourable and direct combat? Please.

I have -never- understood why Utghar is made out to be the God of Barbarians. He's the god of Utghard. Which is a population group. Who happen to be mainly barbarians. That in NO way makes Utghard the God of Barbarians. Utghard live a long, long way from Narfell. Why would they come all the way to what is essentially a tiny corner of well-occupied land?

Canonwise, Nars barbarians follow Tempus, Lathander and Waukeen.
    "Immigrant" barbarians are most likely to come from the Glacier (and would be Aurilites) or, which I would recommend, are Tuigans. I need to look it up, but I think the Tuigans worshipped Grumbar, Akadi and .. another god, or aspects of said gods. It would make sense for these to travel the relatively short distance.. and why not make a Mongol-inspired barbarian group rather than the usual Germanic/Nordic style barbarians?

• Soooo, Totem Suggestions?

For those that don't know, an Uthgardt Totem represents an aspect of Uthgar, sometimes literally, in a spirit form, and embodies an quality of the barbarian spirit, like the strength of the bear. The Totem also determines the clerical alignments for the the tribe. The existing totems are as follows:
    Black Lion – chaotic good
    Black Raven – chaotic evil
    Blue Bear – chaotic evil <– And dead
    Elk – chaotic neutral
    Gray Wolf – chaotic neutral
    Great Worm – chaotic good
    Griffon – neutral
    Red Tiger – chaotic neutral
    Sky Pony – chaotic neutral
    Tree Ghost – neutral good
    Thunderbeast – chaotic neutral

I don't see the tribe as being necessarily evil. Neutral will be a lot more fun. And the one step rule still applies. So we need a new spirit beast, one native to the regions of the Nars.

Perhaps we're questing, lead by the Beast Spirit, to discover a new Ancestral Mound, carrying the few sacred remains of our ancestors with us.

• Been there, done that, and my wild-eyed barbarian girl of the north ended up being my main for a good, long time. It was fun! Learning common IG and being taught the value of money, fighting randomly with tribe members for fun or a sudden flare of temper, then laughing uproarishly and drinking ourselves silly while everyone else stared at the mad tribals.. teehee. Enjoy!

• The only downside is that clerics of Uthgar tend to take a "Arcane magic is bad and leads to ruination" bend in the way that Paladins take a "Evil is bad and leads to ruination." But Uthgardt Clerics are even more so "Kick Ass in the Name of the Lord" than paladins are, even amongst their own followers. If anything, it sounds like more fun that way.

But depending on the Totem we create for it (and I do think we should create one rather than use an existing tribe, except to branch off of), Clerics may have an additional alignment option outside of one step from CN.