Are there any evil characters out there?

• Another thing I want to add…

Lie.

Lie through your teeth, your nose, everything.

If anyone asks your character's alignment, deity or affiliation OOC, just lie! Even if its your best buddy. They shouldn't ask that sort of thing. If you just refuse to tell them, they'll know you're evil.

Any little bit of information that creeps out OOC to someone who doesn't need to know will bounce back on you eventually. Even if your character actively advertises his religion IG, do not go around telling people that you are Evil, especially when you are below level 6 with no friends.
    People like me are sneaky, and very good at putting information together. They'll find out you're evil OOC on the forums or IG if even the tiniest bit of information is made available (The Character Description forum is a good one for that).

So if anyone asks your characters alignment and deity, you just reply "TN, Oghma" 😉

• My advice for playing Evil.

Get a DM buddy. Maybe ask a DM to advertise in the DM-only forums whether or not a DM would be interested in a plot regarding your evil group.

If your group has religious ties or is a part of existing networks in Faerun (i.e. Eldreth Veluuthra, Black Network) you can try and ask if there are existing plots relating to these groups. However speaking from past experience, it varies on the DM. Sometimes, despite how many inquiries you may make, you will just be ignored.

I managed to play a character for almost a year with only very few suspecting her of being evil. In fact it was only through blatant metagaming that anyone really suspected her.

Probably the best bit of advice I can give anyone that Scio hasn't yet covered is:
    Never rely on the low level groupies.

People latch onto new fads like they do the Patriots this season. If you make a recruiting drive you'll get a flood of people. Great, but they'll last about 2 weeks before getting bored and returning to their already high level, good/neutral aligned PC, with loads of gear. Then they'll probably metagame knowing that you're evil.
    So stick with people who are dedicated to playing Evil PCs as their primary. Ignore all the crap about wanting to get a great evil clan/cult/organisation started if said person never logs in as their evil PC (even upon request).

When you start a new Evil PC, make connections, and make them fast. Avoid 'known' Paladins (use Lore checks to make it IC) and LG Clerics.
    Like I said, 80% of the time, people making new characters to join a new guild/org/cult won't stick with it (and i'm guilty of this too) so don't rely on them until they prove they're as dedicated as you.
    And for their sake too, make your evil PC your primary.

Don't be fooled into thinking that an Evil PC has to be nice and friendly to survive. They don't. You can be as nasty and as horrible as you want, but as long as you're smart (IC & OOC) you'll be alright. Of course, there are always players who equate unsociable behaviour with EVIL, but those people are usually idiots, and i'd avoid them regardless.

Oh yeah, and finally, dont' dress in complete black. It's a dead giveaway.

• ICC

@dc9c42a74e=sciolist:

The biggest obstruction to playing evil on Narfell is the lack of other-player support. Unless you have 'hunt-buddies' in your timezone you'll find it hard to get along and have a good time. Neutral non-cleric PC of an evil deity is by far the best way of avoiding the OOC metagame of detect evil since you won't ping as 'Evil'.

Eventually, though, your evil nature will become known to others, and unless you have some support and contacts with others who'll actively seek you out for companionship because you're useful, it becomes quite quiet and lonely.

Also, by being 'known' as evil, or untrustworthy, or unlikable will mean that some of the 'good' characters will refuse to group with you at all. In that situation, you really need advocates of your competence and skill, so that -some- of the time the group would rather have you and your cronies than the good objector and their cronies.

I'll fully second Sciolist's points I just quoted.
    Lets take Grak for example; Notorious loudmouth. He is actually very greedy, selfish, arrogant, chauvinist and always loudmouthing to short, weak, poor and generally helpless/inferior people.
    This gives him quite low charisma and aligment, which in turn lights every paladins "detect evil" alarm lights like christmast tree.

While I really enjoy playing such character, it is true that it sometimes gets lonely..boohoo😛
    Please, kindly set-up that guild so Grak (might) get some needed friends.. Not-as-strong-orks as Grak is preferrably :lol:

• Ostracism sucks, speaking from personal experience.

But those few times things go exactly the way you want them to (or even when you find yourself in a happy accident) playing an evil PC can be incredibly fun and rewarding.

Get connected to The Establishment, whatever it may be (city gov't, crafter's union, etc) or get a posse. Best to do both.

• The biggest obstruction to playing evil on Narfell is the lack of other-player support. Unless you have 'hunt-buddies' in your timezone you'll find it hard to get along and have a good time. Neutral non-cleric PC of an evil deity is by far the best way of avoiding the OOC metagame of detect evil since you won't ping as 'Evil'.

Eventually, though, your evil nature will become known to others, and unless you have some support and contacts with others who'll actively seek you out for companionship because you're useful, it becomes quite quiet and lonely. Also, by being 'known' as evil, or untrustworthy, or unlikable will mean that some of the 'good' characters will refuse to group with you at all. In that situation, you really need advocates of your competence and skill, so that -some- of the time the group would rather have you and your cronies than the good objector and their cronies.

Also, I have an entirely subjective opinion that more of the DMs on Narfell prefer to DM for a good-neutral group of PCs than a neutral-evil group, but I haven't been on for a while and that may have changed. Certainly, the bigger plots usually involve something evil going on, and ultimately that evil is defeated, so it's short-termist to ally your evil PC with the current Big Bad NPC group, unless you're happy for them to be ostracised by most all the server come the plot completion.

But, in short, I'd only ever recommend starting with an evil character concept, or direction if you are perfectly happy for your character to become permanently dead/nonviable in the future. Not everyone gets redeemed. In fact, almost everyone that's evil doesn't get redeemed, they just get dead.

Good luck with the CN/CE guild, I'd be amazed to see how such a loose affiliation of people will work in the free-form and unstructured world of Narfell.

• ICC

yeah, wount be a "in your face" kind of evil guild… at least not in its begining stage, maybe later on the long road it might turn that way. But for now its just something that im sketching on paper.

• My suggestion is to keep all things a secret, even OOC. There will be problems with metagamers if you present your character's information on the forums here, even if its just OOC info.

Also, its nearly impossible to play a "muahahaha! I'm evil! Die!' character and its just kinda stupid. The best way is to be on the down low until you establish yourself.

Just try to be obvious to other evil folks, but not obvious to the good folks… if that makes sense :?

Anyway, thats just my opinion! 🙂

• ICC

The idea is only in its begining stage… its all i can say.... ill keep this thread up to date regarding my idea´s evolution.

• what kind of CN/CE guild?

• ICC

Im planing in starting a guild for CN and/or CE alignement characters. For now this idea is just in the begining stage, and im just sketching the main idea on paper. Later ill poke the SDM of the area where i plan to "work" and poke few players that might be interested, Playing a "chaotic" char isnt easy, so depending on the reaction of both DM and Pc´s ill decide if the idea "has legs to walk" or not.

KULL (Half Orc Barbarian, Training Officer and Major in the Legion)
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

• It's like the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion.

If you do something that warrants some attention, they'll come to you. 😉

Oh god, I've been playing that game waaaayyy too much.

• Hmm true. Well if theres any evil organizations out there that want to keep secret just send me a pm. I'm not going to meta game just looking for whats out there since im completely new to the server. Just trying to get a feel.

• Evil is well hidden and can be found working its way into and up most any organizational chain. Not to say that Mord is evil, no way, just a hard working stiff slowly taking over the town guard.

The biggest evil is often hardest to find and pin down. It is the thin blade that slips through your ribs when you least expect it and leave little trace.

• It looks like there was quite the following of different evil deity's from awhile ago. Just skimming through some of the threads like roll call. Things must have been quite different back then.

• Bards are evil..hin bards are the evilest.

• Chaevre' is pretty evil, or at least thats the popular opinion of her, im sure its all just a misunderstanding. . .seriously, those people killed themselves. . honest. .

• Probably a combination of both. 😉

There are a few evil people, just have to find them and go to the right places looking. The Church of Bane has quite a few members of late too.

• Hi. Just adding to this post because i see someone has asked the same question i was about to. Is there any evil around or just good ole pallies :lol:
    From what ive seen its either very well kept secret or im just to bloody new to tell.

• Sharrans wear no underwear.

• I'm not in denial! I'm clean! I've been clean for the past year, and I'm never going back!

Ezachiel is still wearing black and green underwear though.